Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Coat a clear bottle with paint to protect beer?

Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #1
slingshotmike
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Coat a clear bottle with paint to protect beer?

I live in Istanbul, and I'm working on my first (of many) batches of homebrew.

I worked hard to track down / import all of the ingredients, and basic supplies.

The one place I have had the worst luck is tracking down bottles. New beer bottles can't be found here, and if I go for used bottles, 95% are screw cap. This has led me looking down other paths.

Basically, I've found some great 1-liter swing tops made in Italy. The price isn't too bad, but they only come in one-color: clear glass bottles. My idea is to paint them, possibly black. To me it seems like this will keep light out. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've tried researching on the internet but haven't come up with much yet. I hate to ruin my new bottles with ugly black paint, but if that's what it takes to not ruin my beer, I'm doing it.

Your thoughts?

Old 07-11-2013, 09:00 AM   #2
ShaineT
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Please don't paint your bottles! You're better off wrapping them up in a good amount of painter's tape and keeping them in a cool dark location. Just a box and cool dark area will do. Unless you are doing extended aging do not worry too much.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
petey_c
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 5

slingshotmike, I've been using brown and clear plastic (PET, 475 and 600 ml. ) soda bottles for years with no "skunking" issues. Glass is best for long term storage (6 months +) though. Save the paint. Welcome and good luck.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
ShaineT
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by petey_c View Post
slingshotmike, I've been using brown and clear plastic (PET, 475 and 600 ml. ) soda bottles for years with no "skunking" issues. Glass is best for long term storage (6 months +) though. Save the paint. Welcome and good luck.
+1 I've used 1 liter brown plastic soda bottles to condition ale in before. Worked great!

Old 07-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
Mojzis
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Just out of curiosity how much would it be to order bottles online? Or to ship a case from the US to Turkey?

Old 07-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1270 Times on 872 Posts
Likes Given: 2461

Keep the bottles in a box, away from light, and you'll be fine.
reverendj1 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 12:16 PM   #7
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 344

i bottle a lot in clear bottles. i find they are easier to keep clean and i can generally tell what beer is in them just by looking at the bottle. i don't have to remember what the heck FDWIO or some crap that i wrote on the cap means.

just don't store them in the windowsill and you'll be fine.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:02 PM   #8
slingshotmike
Recipes 

Wow great info everyone! I appreciate the feedback. From all the reading I've done, it has scared me into thinking 10 minutes of daylight will skunk any beer. I will store them in the dark, as suggested.

As far as ordered bottles from the US, shipping would make it not worth it. The cost of shopping that 50 bottles would probably be more than 500 dollars, due to weight and size. I've sent much lighter (and smaller) boxes that cost more than 200.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #9
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 40

I use some clear bottles too. I just keep them in boxes with zero light.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #10
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 344

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotmike View Post
Wow great info everyone! I appreciate the feedback. From all the reading I've done, it has scared me into thinking 10 minutes of daylight will skunk any beer. I will store them in the dark, as suggested.

As far as ordered bottles from the US, shipping would make it not worth it. The cost of shopping that 50 bottles would probably be more than 500 dollars, due to weight and size. I've sent much lighter (and smaller) boxes that cost more than 200.
if the bottles are stored somewhere that would give you a suntan, then they'll get skunked pretty quick. but other than that, you'll be fine. keeping them in a box is a good idea.

i have heard of people reusing twist-offs with some success and also capping twist off bottles with a capper. feel free to give either a try. re purposing plastic bottles might be a better idea, though.