check this break material!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronjonacron

Reaction score
So i have to chill over night to get to pitching temps. I popped open my ferm chamber to see how the temp was, and saw this crazy stratification!! How cool is this, never seen amything like it before, its like beer art.

ForumRunner_20130710_220249.jpg

ForumRunner_20130710_220309.jpg

ForumRunner_20130710_220327.jpg

ronjonacron said:
So i have to chill over night to get to pitching temps. I popped open my ferm chamber to see how the temp was, and saw this crazy stratification!! How cool is this, never seen amything like it before, its like beer art.

Dexter Morgan?? ;)

That's wild. It looks like jellyfish or something. I've never seen anything like it in any of my beers. Then again, I chill to pitching temp in about 30 minutes. I've always liked pouring creamer into coffee and watching the mixing, sooooo cool to watch.

Yup, I thought organs, too. I've seen some pretty weird fermentations, but this one takes the (liver) cake.

Is it sour at all? It also kinda reminds me of a vinegar or kombucha mother.

As a relatively new brewer, I am fascinated by this.
Can someone please explain what that is and is it specific to a particular style of beer or ingredients?
It looks slightly similar to clumps that I got once from improperly mixed gelatin.

Is it an Abbey ale? Can you call it "Abbey Normal?"

i got rid of a keg of less than spectacular dubbel at a festival by calling it abbey normal, and charging 2 euro a cup!

err there were apparently no mel brooks fans in attendance.

op- hey that's a weird looking jug of guts you got there

Als, i dont bother filtering at all, i leave most of the hop junk, but during the summer months all of the break goes into the primary

Things was the updated version of "fat dirty honey blonde. And holy lag time with us05, i guess big starters got me spoiled.

ForumRunner_20130712_145021.jpg

ForumRunner_20130712_145053.jpg

Here are some more pics, about 36 hours after pitching, pretty solid airlock activity and a normal krausen now.

I've never seen it that thick, but I have had several that clump together and grow right before the activity gets going, then it turns into a snow storm. I've thought about setting up the webcam on a gallon jug and doing a time lapse say every 5-10 minutes to film it for sh1ts and giggles. Sure looks cool though.

I had one thicker than that about a year and a half ago. I was worried like hell that something went wrong, cause I couldn't find anything like it. Turned into great beer though.

Wait, that updated pic looks "more normal?" It just looks like compressed organs at the bottom of your carboy. Still yuck.

Wait, that updated pic looks "more normal?" It just looks like compressed organs at the bottom of your carboy. Still yuck.

Im expecting it to swirl around once fermentation really gets going and it will precipitate with the rest of it, ill keep you guys updated. And again, the normal statement was referencing the krausen not the "trub" stuff.

finsfan said:
get better bottles, not glass! shiz can be dangerous

Can you do primary in better bottles? I thought it had to have more head room? Do it with a Blow off tube?

I "no chill" over night in my boil kettle and I see similar floating cold break blobs. Mine get broken up as I pour into the fermenter to aerate though.

I've tried to filter it out by lining a strainer with my hop sack but it goes right through. I bet if you gave you carboy a little swirl, the blob would be gone.

Can you do primary in better bottles? I thought it had to have more head room? Do it with a Blow off tube?

I only use better bottles. I have a bucket but don't like using it. I start EVERY fermentation with a blow off tube regardless of the vessel. It beats cleaning the ceiling!

Yeah, i use glass because thats what i have. A few of them were given to me by a much less active brewer. When i need to replace or expand i will get better bottles. I have 1 5 gallon plastic water jug i use to secondary for dry hopping, and it is sooooo much easier to move atound.

Latest posts

Back