Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BIAB Brewing > BIAB Partial or full

Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
NewWestBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Default BIAB Partial or full

Hi All,

I am just getting into BIAB and am wondering what people's viewpoints are on doing partial boils (DeathBrewer's thread) or full boils. I only have a 5 gal pot so I am limited in amount of grain but if a recipe can fit in the pot is it preferable to do full boil? I should mention that I do 3 gal batches.

Colin

Old 07-10-2013, 07:59 PM   #2
mb82
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I have a 6 gal pot and do full boils of 3.25 gal batches. When I have 90 minute boils I do need to keep and eye out for boilovers but it can be done. Personally I like the batch size as it keeps me brewing more often and with different kinds of beer.

Primary: Trekker Huis ( Tractor House) Saison
Bottled: Huis Koyt, Summer In Sommelsdijk
Up coming beers: Home Hops 15 Cluster Bomb IPA

Old 07-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #3
SteveLikesBeer
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I follow http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/simp...method-146872/ and it worked quite well for me so far.

Primary: SMaSH Pale, Anger Management (Flanders Red)
Bottled: Chin Hook, Dubbel's Advocate, FATAB, Saison, Penny the Welder
Keg: D3, Amber

Old 07-10-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Dovage
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I'm with mb82, do 3 gallon batches with full boil, you can get better eff. and can do more batches. I had been trying to do 5 gal., with 2, 5 gal. pots, but it was a pain. Plus I had to keep buying bottles for all the beer. I am now shrinking down to 3 gal. batches, to try and really make great beer, not just beer, which is where I was.
Bottled- Handy Men IPA
Residual Boulder Brown Ale

Old 07-10-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
sumone
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Its ok to do partial boils. All of my attempts except for one 3 gallon have been partials and they have turned out great! I'm going to switch to 3 gallon batches since I'm pretty much the only one of my friends that likes drinking "good" beer.

Old 07-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #6
Jayslay
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I just got into the partial mashing from kits. I do 4-6 lbs mash and add extracts and sugars during/after boil in a BIAB system 5 gallon aluminum pressure cooker. Lids more or less useless except for hastening boil with supervision. My post boil is like 12-13 litres so 3 gallon.. I'm keeping an eye on these threads for knowledge 'sorption
Alchemonk Tripel,Skull Old Ale, Galaxy Pale I, Raspberry Wedding Weizen, Galaxy Pale Wedding Ale
THIS MONTHS UPCOMING:

Old 07-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #7
smyrnaquince
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb82 View Post
I have a 6 gal pot and do full boils of 3.25 gal batches. When I have 90 minute boils I do need to keep and eye out for boilovers but it can be done. Personally I like the batch size as it keeps me brewing more often and with different kinds of beer.
Me, too! 6-gallon pot, but I do half batches (2.5 gallons of finished beer). Full-volume (i.e., "pure") BIAB, no extra sparges or dilutions. Keeps everything simple, the way BIAB was initially envisioned to be.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 133

Thanks for all the replies. I am thinking of doing the full BIAB for my next brew. Maybe 5-6lbs of grains and 16-17 qts of water and off she goes....Love this hobby.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM   #9
sikkingj
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 23 Posts

If your setup allows it - enough stove real estate - I would suggest getting a bigger pot. Remember buy one that can span two burners or go with a narrow pot.

Www.foodwarehouse.com has some pretty reasonable aluminum pots., I think 28-32 quarts (7-8 gallons) would do you right.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
happypanties
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Just a thought, maybe you could leave a 1/2 - 1 gallon out of the mash for sparging. That way you have more room in the pot for all the grain, but end up doing a full boil after the sparge.