Would You Drink This IPA? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Would You Drink This IPA?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #1
Rambleon
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Snohomish, Wa
Posts: 153
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts



I was hoping for some critique of an IPA I plan to brew soon.

12lbs 2-row
1lb Crystal 20
1lb Munich
.5 Carapils

1oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Centennial @ 15
1oz Simcoe @ 15
1oz Centennial @ 1
1oz Simcoe @ 1
1oz Centennial Dry Hop
1oz Columbus Dry Hop

OG: 1.072
IBU: 78
SRM: 6
ABV: 7.1%

People seem to freak out if there is more than 10-15% of a less fermentable specialty grain in an ipa recipe but I like a bit of malt to back up the hops. I don't mean balance the hops, just support them...



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #2
skibb
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Lexington
Posts: 489
Liked 50 Times on 38 Posts


As long as it's fully attenuated... it looks tasty



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #3
Irishwhiskey
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 37
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Do you plan on dry hopping each separate OR together? I was reading somewhere that doing one say for 3-5 days remove than the next same amount of time can help get the aroma nicely from both.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #4
bja
Recipes 
 
Nov 2007
Pittsburgh
Posts: 2,056
Liked 167 Times on 125 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambleon View Post
I was hoping for some critique of an IPA I plan to brew soon.

12lbs 2-row
1lb Crystal 20
1lb Munich
.5 Carapils

1oz Columbus @ 60
1oz Centennial @ 15
1oz Simcoe @ 15
1oz Centennial @ 1
1oz Simcoe @ 1
1oz Centennial Dry Hop
1oz Columbus Dry Hop

OG: 1.072
IBU: 78
SRM: 6
ABV: 7.1%

People seem to freak out if there is more than 10-15% of a less fermentable specialty grain in an ipa recipe but I like a bit of malt to back up the hops.
Well, the carapils is really doing nothing for the recipe since you already have a pound of crystal.

Quote:
I don't mean balance the hops, just support them...
I don't know what this means...
__________________
____________________________________________

I know it just wouldn't be right to kill all the stupid people that we meet, but do you think it would be appropriate to just remove all of the warning labels and let nature take its course?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #5

Make it and adjust it as you go along. if you like that all that really matters. I've been remaking the same 7 or so ales for the last year and tweeking them a little until i get it the way i want it
__________________
Good people drink good beer - Hunter S. Thompson
Duct tape. The handyman's secret weapon - Red Green

Naughty Kitty Brewing EST 1993
Primary 1 - Saison
Primary 2 - Centennial IPA
Primary 3 -
Secondary 1 -
Secondary 2 -
Bottled - Nogginfogger DIPA, Feral Red Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #6
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Powassan, Ontario
Posts: 733
Liked 59 Times on 47 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Glynn View Post
Make it and adjust it as you go along. if you like that all that really matters. I've been remaking the same 7 or so ales for the last year and tweeking them a little until i get it the way i want it
i agree. it's your beer and make it how ever you want!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #7
RichBenn
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Tahoe
Posts: 813
Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts


Russian River is probably the main advocate for keeping the crystal malt percentage low in IIPAs. Being that their Pliny the Elder seems to be rated #1 for IIPAs at BeerAdvocate and other sites, this philosophy works well for IIPA fans. It certainly works for me, but then, I'm a hophead.

An IIPA is all about highlighting hop complexity, and having cloying sweetness works against that. Your recipe is high in crystal and other unfermentables, but it's really more of an IPA. I'd reduce the crystal if I was making it for me, but like others have stated, "brew what you like". That's one of the big advantages to homebrewing over buying local microbrews - getting a beer that matches your desires.
__________________
Try my 1st Place Wedding Pale Ale!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,913
Liked 525 Times on 353 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by RichBenn View Post
Russian River is probably the main advocate for keeping the crystal malt percentage low in IIPAs. Being that their Pliny the Elder seems to be rated #1 for IIPAs at BeerAdvocate and other sites, this philosophy works well for IIPA fans. It certainly works for me, but then, I'm a hophead.

An IIPA is all about highlighting hop complexity, and having cloying sweetness works against that. Your recipe is high in crystal and other unfermentables, but it's really more of an IPA. I'd reduce the crystal if I was making it for me, but like others have stated, "brew what you like". That's one of the big advantages to homebrewing over buying local microbrews - getting a beer that matches your desires.
This guy is considering it an IPA. I agree with you that it is more of an IIPA, and I would say as an IIPA it has way too much kilned malt in it: (crystal carapils, and munich) in it....this is almost APA territory.

I think there is a tendency these days to make IPA over the top with regard to IBUs. I prefer to keep my IPAs and IIPAs more separate. IPA should be pretty sessionable...more in the 1.060 and 50-60 IBU range. IIPAs in the 1.070-1.080 range 70-80 IBUs (and up!). Just my 0.02.

That being said, its your beer....brew it and call it what you want!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
m3n00b
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Orange County, Commiefornia
Posts: 1,134
Liked 154 Times on 117 Posts


I would drink any IPA. The only one I didn't like was maharaja

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,607
Liked 351 Times on 305 Posts


People do lose their minds about crystal in beers. I think folks forget that a AG and extract batch are going to attenuate differently.


__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

skibb Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is beer a common drink or a special drink for you? fbaillargeon General Beer Discussion 34 11-29-2013 12:02 PM
When to drink DMTnew2brew Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 15 01-20-2013 03:45 AM
To drink or not to drink? (w/ pics) BGates14 General Beer Discussion 35 09-18-2012 02:35 PM
Drink to relax or drink because your relaxed? Nowuries General Beer Discussion 23 02-25-2012 09:30 AM


Forum Jump