Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I bottle condition in a growler

Old 07-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Dolomieu
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballsy View Post
I'm a NOOB, but did a lot of research prior to my 1st batch b/c I had a growler my dad had given me from Gordon Bierch. It's VERY heavy and has the swing style stopper. I have seen these styles online too. I can't imagine the glass on those is any thinner than a typical 12oz beer bottle. The glass is definitely thicker than that of my screw top growlers from local brewery (which I did not use). I used it, but did keep it in guest b-room tub just in case. Looks to have conditioned fine. 4 weeks later and there are some visible bubbles at top like the 12ox bottles so it is definitely carbonated.
Oh but it can be much thinner. I cut open a dead guy growler for a three wick candle one time. These containers, bottles too, are not one thickness all the way around. Though the growler i cut open has some very thin sections to it. It was much thinner than any bottle i have cut open.

I bet there are a lot of people that get away with carbing in growlers but that gash in the previous post make s me think its not worth it. For me at least. Good luck in your brewing though!

Old 07-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
seefish
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I've bottle conditioned in a growler a few times, worked fine. They weren't highly carbed and I didn't let them sit around very long, just in case there was an infection that would create more pressure inside. Guess it depends on the quality of the growler...I have no idea if there is a standard.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:26 PM   #23
UnDeadly
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say do so at your own risk.

If you are going to get an explosion, it would probably happen within the first week or two, when the yeast is actually active and producing CO2. There's a thread around here somewhere (I'll find it if someone really wants it) that shows pressure inside a vessel spikes in the first part of conditioning, before the CO2 is absorbed back into the liquid. Basically, CO2 gets produced faster than the liquid can accommodate it. It's during this time you are most in danger.

That said, I just got 2 SS growlers for my wedding, and they are friggen AMAZING. And yes, I do condition in those with zero worries.
justkev52 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
FATC1TY
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotakah View Post
WHOA! Sorry to hear about your injury. Glad that hasn't happened to me but the two main differences are 1) I don't ferment in growlers, just carb/condition and 2) I have never used a gallon winejug, only 64oz beergrowlers

Wow it is so lucky that your child was napping! For such a scary and bad situation, it was still far from worst-case-scenario; I will remember that picture if the thought of using wine jugs ever passes through my head

Gallon wine jugs are the same thing is growlers by the way.. Some are clear, and some are brown..

It's not really always in the thickness of the glass, it's also the design. The bottom of the bottles is the thinnest point and will blow out first due to the shape.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #25
justkev52
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 587

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand View Post
Well, i just heard about not using growlers today in this thread, but i haven't had any problems yet. I have 4 growlers with festabrew wheat and 2 with brewhouse blonde ale and i haven't had any explode. I have the black plastic caps with the clear plastic cone shape on the inside.
When i opened the ones i have drank it was a little hard to get the cap off, and i did notice that there wasn't as much of a fizz sound as bottles of the same batch. I also noticed that the beer was a little less carbed than the bottles.
Is it possible that this type of cap actually let excess pressure out? Personally i can't see the glass breaking before the plastic cap gave out, but a metal cap would be a different story.
Same story. If I have too much beer to fit in a keg, I fill a growler. Also use the black caps. Done it quite a few times with no problem. I do store them in a box just in case.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:38 PM   #26
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 34

I just recently had a growler explode in my kitchen. The wall behind the growler was embedded with glass, the wall across the kitchen had some glass in it and a wall 12 feet away even had some glass in it. The bottom of the growler ended up in my living room about twenty feet away. Thankfully nobody was in the kitchen. Even better was that I was out of state. My wife ended to having to clean EVERYTHING in the kitchen due to beer and glass.

I would not suggest carbinating in them whatsoever.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
metalrover
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have bottle-conditioned in a growler a few times with no problems. But, I use the plastic caps with the clear plastic cone lining (they seem to have a better seal), and I've only used the growler to condition beers that call for low CO2 volumes (~2-2.4) like an ESB, or an Irish Red. I would not risk conditioning a hefe in a growler. The caps seem to swell a bit at 2.2 volumes of CO2. Don't think it would hold 3.2 or more.
jrgtr42 Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankiesurf View Post
I just recently had a growler explode in my kitchen. The wall behind the growler was embedded with glass, the wall across the kitchen had some glass in it and a wall 12 feet away even had some glass in it. The bottom of the growler ended up in my living room about twenty feet away. Thankfully nobody was in the kitchen. Even better was that I was out of state. My wife ended to having to clean EVERYTHING in the kitchen due to beer and glass.

I would not suggest carbinating in them whatsoever.
If you would've heard that thing go off, you would be impressed. Not quite as loud as a 12gague shotgun, but not a far cry from it.

I found the handle of mine about 8 feet away, inside a cardboard box filled with clothes. The cap was still tightly screwed on.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
Johnnyhitch1
Feedback Score: 35 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 235 Times on 197 Posts
Likes Given: 3483

I think people are confusing a RATED glass bottle against thickness of the glass itself.

Long necks are designed to hold the outward pressure of carbonation, where on the other hand growlers are made to hold the outside pressure from entering the growler, just as much as a mason jar is designed to hold inwards vacuum.

The thickness of the glaass does not designate wether its able to hold pressure or vaccum.

The picture on the first page really made me squeem, specially because its a slice of glass thru someones leg because of a growler fail...
There should be a sticky on this!!!
People have to stop getting hurt from stupid things like co2 tanks going off in a 100* car or lifting a glass carboy down stairs....or bottle conditioning in a growler

BOTTLES ARE 5c!!! Go to your local distributor and buy a couple cases!

Primary:DUST
Kegged:AIR
BOTTLES:

Beer: NZ Brett (BD:9/16/12)
Mead: Blueberry-lemon, Raspberry-Lime, Habenero, POM, Traditional.
mac21 Likes This 
Old 07-12-2013, 03:27 AM   #30
JuiceyJay
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyhitch1 View Post
I think people are confusing a RATED glass bottle against thickness of the glass itself.

Long necks are designed to hold the outward pressure of carbonation, where on the other hand growlers are made to hold the outside pressure from entering the growler, just as much as a mason jar is designed to hold inwards vacuum.

The thickness of the glaass does not designate wether its able to hold pressure or vaccum.

The picture on the first page really made me squeem, specially because its a slice of glass thru someones leg because of a growler fail...
There should be a sticky on this!!!
People have to stop getting hurt from stupid things like co2 tanks going off in a 100* car or lifting a glass carboy down stairs....or bottle conditioning in a growler

BOTTLES ARE 5c!!! Go to your local distributor and buy a couple cases!
I had a 20oz co2 bottle blow it's burst disc once, scary stuff. Flying around my small apartment like crazy, always put my full co2 tanks in the fridge after that

Johnnyhitch1 Likes This