Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Can I bottle condition in a growler

Old 07-10-2013, 03:35 PM   #11
Hopper5000
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 57

^^^^ Thats BRUTAL, hope you got stitches.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #12
jbaysurfer
Former future HOF Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 580 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 1026

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6 View Post
I wouldn't, and here's why:

[ATTACH](gruesome picture goes here)[/ATTACH]

I had a gallon glass wine jug explode from the pressure of fermentation, cutting my calf muscle just above my Achilles.

I know others do condition in growlers, but to me its not worth it.
Case in point. For those thinking swing top growlers are just like grolsch bottles, I wouldn't be so sure. The tops are not what gets rated, the ability of the glass to hold the pressure is what's in question.

I'd still say swing top growlers are a better bet then screw tops (they're generally better for everything!) but be careful. Store em in a tupperware or something if you insist on doing it. I personally don't want that kind of wound, and I bet Wickman will tell you how fortunate he is that it didn't sever his achilles completely.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #13
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopper5000 View Post
^^^^ Thats BRUTAL, hope you got stitches.
I did. That was on June 1st this year, and I'm still in a walking boot to stabilize the muscle. Next week I start rehabbing the muscle to build strength back up.

I'm most fortunate, as my 2 year old usually brews with me, but he was napping when this happened thank God!
Old 07-10-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Hopper5000
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 62 Posts

wow man, heal up fast.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #15
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts

I have read the "palla" (means ball) Italian style growlers with swing top are safe to bottle in. I THINK I read that on the northern brewer web site, they sell them.
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Helles, 4-Way IPA
Bottled:

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-10-2013, 07:28 PM   #16
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 40 Posts

I have read the "palla" (means ball) Italian style growlers with swing top are safe to bottle in. I THINK I read that on the northern brewer web site, they sell them.
On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Helles, 4-Way IPA
Bottled:

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln

Old 07-10-2013, 07:39 PM   #17
KYdustinj
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't know about this exactly, but I would be concerned about how much beer you could potentially lose conditioning in a growler if you aren't used to it. To me, it seems that if you haven't carbed a beer in this quantity yet, it may take longer to carb up than you're used to. So, if you open a growler too soon and it hasn't yet carbed you may have just lost 64oz of potentially good beer. Like I said I don't know, someone may know better than me.
Ygg Likes This 
Old 07-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdgagne View Post
They're not really meant to hold pressures needed to carb beer.
my 2cents:

I've seen people on this forum consistently saying that they aren't meant to hold pressure. Fair enough. But I have been bottle conditioning in growlers for several years now and have never had 1 explosion. I screw the cap on TIGHT then seal it up with electrical tape or hot wax

I figure my growlers are way more thick glass than some of the commercial 12oz bottles that people have no problem using

Unfortunate to hear about the people who lost their batches but I suspect they may have had bottle bombs one way or the other regardless of container

edit: also, when I used to bottle straight from the fermentor, I would use 5 priming tabs. That would usually be either just right or too much. Try 4 and a half if possible. Somehow those tabs don't scale up as simply as you'd think, in my experience. Now I just bottle out of the keg so it's easy to get the carb level done right

Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #19
jotakah
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickman6 View Post
I wouldn't, and here's why:

Attachment 134195

I had a gallon glass wine jug explode from the pressure of fermentation, cutting my calf muscle just above my Achilles.

I know others do condition in growlers, but to me its not worth it.
WHOA! Sorry to hear about your injury. Glad that hasn't happened to me but the two main differences are 1) I don't ferment in growlers, just carb/condition and 2) I have never used a gallon winejug, only 64oz beergrowlers

Wow it is so lucky that your child was napping! For such a scary and bad situation, it was still far from worst-case-scenario; I will remember that picture if the thought of using wine jugs ever passes through my head

Old 07-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #20
ballsy
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 31 Posts

I'm a NOOB, but did a lot of research prior to my 1st batch b/c I had a growler my dad had given me from Gordon Bierch. It's VERY heavy and has the swing style stopper. I have seen these styles online too. I can't imagine the glass on those is any thinner than a typical 12oz beer bottle. The glass is definitely thicker than that of my screw top growlers from local brewery (which I did not use). I used it, but did keep it in guest b-room tub just in case. Looks to have conditioned fine. 4 weeks later and there are some visible bubbles at top like the 12ox bottles so it is definitely carbonated.

Primary#1
Primary#2: Bells Two Hearted clone
On deck: Pyramid Apricot Ale clone, grapefruit sculpin IPA clone
Keg 1:Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA clone
Keg 2:
Keg 3: