Is there any brew software that exports in json format? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Brewing Software > Is there any brew software that exports in json format?
Cool Brewing Corny 5G & Mini Giveaway

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
jd-santaclarita
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: santa clarita, ca
Posts: 34

I'm looking to start automating some of the recipe/mash setup type of functions and wondering if theres any tools that deal in json format to make it easy to deal with downstream. For instance, I'd like to save a recipe file as json in git, then fire off a script to grab some of the important brew day data and auto-populate the brew system scripts such as fill volume, strike temp, mash temp, mash time, boil time, hop addition amounts and time, gravity info, etc, etc. Being able to export out in json would make this much easier in python.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
JD



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #2
Pie_Man
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,372
Liked 138 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 13


Not that I'm aware of. Beersmith has a .xml export feature, and I believe Brew Target uses .xml as well.

You may want to send Brad Smith, the maker of Beersmith, an email with this request. Who knows, it might be something he can add to the next update release.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #3
heckels
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sioux Falls, SD
Posts: 813
Liked 65 Times on 51 Posts


BrewTarget and Beersmith both use Beer XML. You may need to write an ETL script that'd convert to JSON if that's your preferred method.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #4
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
MaxStout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 4,054
Liked 1570 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 357


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Not that I'm aware of. Beersmith has a .xml export feature, and I believe Brew Target uses .xml as well.

You may want to send Brad Smith, the maker of Beersmith, an email with this request. Who knows, it might be something he can add to the next update release.
Exporting in XML is not yet enabled in Beersmith. The help file says it "is expected to be available in an update shortly."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
Pie_Man
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,372
Liked 138 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 13


Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxStout View Post
Exporting in XML is not yet enabled in Beersmith. The help file says it "is expected to be available in an update shortly."
It is for me. Maybe you need to update your Beersmith. I'm on v2.1.02
Click image for larger version

Name:	Beersmith screenshot.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	135723

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:11 PM   #6
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
MaxStout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 4,054
Liked 1570 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 357


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
It is for me. Maybe you need to update your Beersmith. I'm on v2.1.02
Attachment 135723
Same version I have. I just bought and installed it a few days ago. I'm obviously missing something, as the Export All function is greyed out. I need to play with it more and learn some of the functions.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #7
Pie_Man
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Gainesville, FL
Posts: 1,372
Liked 138 Times on 130 Posts
Likes Given: 13


Since you just bought it, you probably have to have recipes in order to first export (not sure if you do yet). Then highlight a recipe, select File, then Export Selected (the menu heading on the screenshot says "Export All", but that was the Export Selected Menu although I do have both options). This is the Linux version, so maybe it's a little different.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
MaxStout
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
MaxStout's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Blaine, MN
Posts: 4,054
Liked 1570 Times on 966 Posts
Likes Given: 357


Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie_Man View Post
Since you just bought it, you probably have to have recipes in order to first export (not sure if you do yet). Then highlight a recipe, select File, then Export Selected (the menu heading on the screenshot says "Export All", but that was the Export Selected Menu although I do have both options). This is the Linux version, so maybe it's a little different.
OK, works now. I have to select the recipe from the "My Recipes" window for it to work. If I have the recipe open, it's not enabled.

I'll play around with the different formats and see what works best. Looks like the XML output is just in raw code.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brew software jcw203 General Beer Discussion 9 03-21-2012 09:45 PM
beersmith exports Aschecte Brewing Software 4 10-17-2011 12:47 PM
Brew Software Laouboy Brewing Software 3 01-04-2011 12:55 AM
e-brew software jakeshivers Brewing Software 0 04-21-2010 12:07 AM
Brew recipe file format? Deep-Thought Brewing Software 2 04-26-2009 12:06 PM


Forum Jump