Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Draft Tower Concept

Old 07-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #1
DJP00829
Ice Cold Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Draft Tower Concept

So I have this idea for a custom draft tower and I cant seem to find anything similar, so I was hoping to get some input on how people think it might work / if it'd be worth pursuing. The MSPaint Concept:

Yes, those are bones, but dont worry, they're plastic. My main concern with the project is stability and making everything fit/work. I was planning on securing the bones to each other where they cross - thinking about lashing them together with some stronger fishing line because I doubt there would be enough room for a screw and wouldn't want to ruin the aesthetics by using a bracket.

A big issue is that I don't currently have the bones in my possession. But I've been told they're about an inch in diameter at the thinnest, solid plastic, fairly sturdy. So given that the OD of vinyl tubing is 7/16", I was thinking 1/2" copper tubing for a heat sync (should give me about 1/32" of wiggle room on the inside). And then I was debating if I could get away with a 9/16" hole. Schematic:

I feel like this would leave me with the most stability while shoving everything in to the limited space.

Another difficulty with not having the bones is that I dont know if a faucet shank will fit in the head. As for anchoring the towers, I was thinking of mounting the bone over a PVC flange, maybe some angled elbows, since there's a little more room at the bottom.

These would be at a bit more of an angle, but you get the idea.

Any suggestions?
Cheers!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Faub007
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Maybe do a brass base plate with some solid metal dowels that come up from the bottom an inch or 2 to hold it secure. That would require a welder buddy though. I think that's the only way you can get it to look like 2 bones standing up like you said you wanted.

Hope this helps. Awesome idea btw.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:06 PM   #3
501irishred
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 124 Times on 99 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Do you have a plan for cooling the "bone tower"?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #4
DJP00829
Ice Cold Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faub007 View Post
Maybe do a brass base plate with some solid metal dowels that come up from the bottom an inch or 2 to hold it secure. That would require a welder buddy though. I think that's the only way you can get it to look like 2 bones standing up like you said you wanted.

Hope this helps. Awesome idea btw.
Yeah the stability/security is my biggest concern, I'm just not sure how much room I'll have at the base. The welding part might not be too hard to accommodate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 501irishred
Do you have a plan for cooling the "bone tower"?
The plan was for the copper to extend into the fridge serving as a heat sync. I was also thinking about adding some spray foam insulation outside of the copper, and possibly wiring up a small fan with flexible tubing to push some cold air up into the copper.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Instead of fishing line to lash the two bones together what about using barbed wire or something piratey like rope?

Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 210 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 200

everything can work just fine.
However, as simple as that looks, in my opinion it'll take a bit of building to make everything completely stable with just 2 bones sticking up at angles.

If you had another bone and made it kind of a pyramid/triangle it would make it more simplistic of a build because of stability.

However... i'm more or less thinking like, if you had a fridge, take off the top plastic piece and reenforce the hell out of it with wood... possibly put a tube inside the bone up to the faucet and fill the rest of it with resin outside of the tube to make it completely sturdy.

Then maybe plastic weld both the bones together as well? this kiind of thing is going to be a bit tough without someone who can weld..
Coming up
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 PM   #7
DJP00829
Ice Cold Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outside92129 View Post
Instead of fishing line to lash the two bones together what about using barbed wire or something piratey like rope?
Thought about it, but I'm trying to avoid the pirate motif as much as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin
everything can work just fine.
However, as simple as that looks, in my opinion it'll take a bit of building to make everything completely stable with just 2 bones sticking up at angles.

If you had another bone and made it kind of a pyramid/triangle it would make it more simplistic of a build because of stability.
I thought about doing the pyramid set up, but I wanted to keep it as minimalist as possible. 3 bones wouldnt be bad, but I think it might be more awkward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin
However... i'm more or less thinking like, if you had a fridge, take off the top plastic piece and reenforce the hell out of it with wood... possibly put a tube inside the bone up to the faucet and fill the rest of it with resin outside of the tube to make it completely sturdy.
That was my thought process as well, just wondering out loud if I could reinforce the bones and keep the lines cool at the same time as making it look awesome.

Old 07-10-2013, 01:34 AM   #8
gstrawn
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts

How do you propose to drill the holes for the line? I used a hickory stump for my tower and that was a b****. Granted plastic is easier to drill but you'll need some extra long bits
Stealthcruiser Likes This 
Old 07-10-2013, 02:17 AM   #9
cthulu1975
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 11 Posts

Or you could use larger fake bones, cow or horse perhaps.

Old 07-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #10
outside92129
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 25

for strength, how about using stainless tubing instead of beer line?

Stealthcruiser Likes This