Never Had Krausen - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Never Had Krausen

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
AndrewKemendo
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
COS
Posts: 13


This has been an ongoing discussion between me and my home brew shop.

I have done quite a few batches now, with each being better than the last. I have been all grain since the beginning and the end result is always good.

I have had no problems with alcohol content, body, head, carbonation, bitterness or anything else I can imagine, yet I have never had the kind of Krausen in my fermenter that I have seen on so many home brews. At most I have had 1/4 inch on top.

My water isn't particularly hard and my PH levels are always above acceptable. I make Ales exclusively so I understand the bottom fermenting yeast has a bit to do with it, but not much. The only thing I don't do is aggressively aerate before my pitch.

Ideas?
__________________
Cellar Brewing
Colorado Springs, CO
Primary: #3: Winter Warmer
Secondary: #2: American Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:13 PM   #2
cubbies
Tastes like butterdirt
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
cubbies's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2006
St Louis MO
Posts: 1,930
Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts


Aggressively aerate and use a starter if you are not using one. The way I aerate is I take a sanitized pitcher and pour my wort through a strainer into my bottling bucket. Then when my kettle gets light enough I will pour the whole thing. Then once in my bottling bucket, I put it on the counter, with my primary on the floor and drain through the spigot, then through the strainer again. I get so much aeration that I typically have to stop and let the foam die down a little bit. I have had krausen more than a couple of inches thick.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 01:27 PM   #3
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
TheJadedDog's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
People's Republic of Cambridge
Posts: 3,316
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


I have only had one krausen that was more than 1/2" to 1"; typically mine are about an inch. I have also had krausen as thin as 1/4". Personally I think if your beers are turning out fine, you have nothing to worry about.
__________________
And now we go AG!

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:21 AM   #4
Brewno
Recipes 
 
May 2006
PA
Posts: 365
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cubbies
Aggressively aerate and use a starter if you are not using one. The way I aerate is I take a sanitized pitcher and pour my wort through a strainer into my bottling bucket. Then when my kettle gets light enough I will pour the whole thing. Then once in my bottling bucket, I put it on the counter, with my primary on the floor and drain through the spigot, then through the strainer again. I get so much aeration that I typically have to stop and let the foam die down a little bit. I have had krausen more than a couple of inches thick.

This really has nothing to do with the original question but rather just my own curiosity. That seems like an awful lot to aerate, couldn't you just put the lid on the bucket and shake the whole thing ? That is how I aerate. I pick the whole carboy up, cover the mouth and shake it vigorously for a 30 secs to a minute, rest and repeat.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 AM   #5
Madtown Brew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2007
Madison, WI
Posts: 258
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Even if it's only 1/2" thick, it's kraeusen. As far as my limited experience goes, there is always Kraeusen during fermentation. I've had some over 6" high and out the blow-off, and a couple that were a half inch bit o' foam on the surface, but all produced it to some degree.

I have no idea whether or not the amount of kraeusen can provide indication as to the health of the fermentation, though.

@ brewno: sure, you can shake it, just takes a whole lot more energy. Cubbles just lets gravity do some of the work. Best method is to use an filtered air pump.
__________________
Fermenting:
rye farmhouse ale
Oktoberfest
flanders red
Kegged:
Oktoberfest

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 03:48 AM   #6
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
BierMuncher's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
St. Louis, MO
Posts: 12,402
Liked 789 Times on 435 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewno
...couldn't you just put the lid on the bucket and shake the whole thing ? That is how I aerate. I pick the whole carboy up, cover the mouth and shake it vigorously for a 30 secs to a minute, rest and repeat.
That's a preferred method for a lot of brewers.

As far as krausen goes...a lot will depend on the yeast.

My typical ales that use dry yeast (safale-05, nottingham) will have very little krausen and ferment fast.

My Belgian Wits (WL-400 Witbier yeast) will have monster krausens that go on forever.

If your beer is fermenting thoroughly and quick enough...don't concern yourself with krausen "depth". It doesn't affect the beers flavor profile.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 12:08 PM   #7
Brewno
Recipes 
 
May 2006
PA
Posts: 365
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Madtown Brew
@ brewno: sure, you can shake it, just takes a whole lot more energy. Cubbles just lets gravity do some of the work. Best method is to use an filtered air pump.

Thanks for the repy. Yes, it is a workout!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:55 PM   #8
bull
Recipes 
 
Apr 2007
texas
Posts: 112

areate your yeast starter not your wort ,of course splashing is acceptable after yourwort is cooled but going beyond that is not the way to go ,

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krausen?? imlvngded Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 07-18-2009 02:14 PM
Krausen EddieWess General Beer Discussion 8 11-05-2008 09:09 PM
US-05 -- Big Krausen? KingBrianI Recipes/Ingredients 3 07-24-2008 01:37 AM
No krausen HoosierDaddy General Techniques 4 04-06-2008 11:07 PM
Krausen and DME vs LME Rdracera1 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 07-15-2006 09:09 PM


Forum Jump