Dry Hop Socks (bags) available at wilserbrewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I have been using polyester voile dry hop bags for a while now. Same polyester voile as the BIAB bags I make. These bags seem to work well for dry hopping in kegs or fermenters. Very simple hop sock design that is closed by simply knotting the sock shut. Bags are large, approximately 5" X 25" and should hold plenty for even the extreme hop junkies out there!

Durable material and stitching that should last many batches. Priced at 2 for $10 shipped.

Thank you,
wilserbrewer
http://biabbags.webs.com/

Just bought a couple. Will be using one for a RyeIPA that I brew as soon as it shows up.

Mine came in a couple of days ago, but I have been on a business trip, so I just got to open the package today.

Bigger than I expected for a dry-hop bag. You could easily fit 4 oz of pellets in one bag if you wanted to.

I will be trying mine out very soon as I am brewing a Rye IPA this weekend.

Bigger than I expected for a dry-hop bag. You could easily fit 4 oz of pellets in one bag if you wanted to.

Yes agreed, they are nice and large. As the story goes, I recently purchased a stainless mesh tube approx 1" X 15" for dry hopping, on my first use the pellet hops swelled up and packed the tube like concrete, making a challenging 15 minute job to dig the hops out of the tube with a long screwdriver. Conclusion being that extra room is a good thing for hop pellets.

Also, the additional length of bag is provided to knot the bag closed. The bags can also be cut to size as desired w/ scissors, then a gentle sealing of the cut edge with a lighter, poly fabric can be edge seam sealed w/ heat to prevent fraying very simply.

Cheers and Happy brewing!

Have you used these in primary for dry hopping? Did the get clogged with yeast?

Have you used these in primary for dry hopping? Did the get clogged with yeast?

I use them either in primary or the keg, as that is all I do with two vessels. You can certainly dry hop in the primary, I have heard that it is best to wait for the yeast to drop and the beer be clear. I have heard that suspended yeast will bind with with the hop flavors and aromas and settle to the bottom of the tank, therefore dry hopping is best AFTER the majority of the yeast has settled, wherever you choose to dry hop.

wilserbrewer said:
I use them either in primary or the keg, as that is all I do with two vessels. You can certainly dry hop in the primary, I have heard that it is best to wait for the yeast to drop and the beer be clear. I have heard that suspended yeast will bind with with the hop flavors and aromas and settle to the bottom of the tank, therefore dry hopping is best AFTER the majority of the yeast has settled, wherever you choose to dry hop.

Cool I might check these out.

Ya I used to dry hop in secondary then in the keg but lately I've been just throwing a handful in as my primary subsides. I haven't put a beer in secondary in 7 years or so. It's been a great little time saver with same results.

I like my beers hazy, yeasty and looking & tasting nothing like a commercial brew - but that's just me

If anyone reading this was thinking about purchasing a wilserbrewer product, I cannot say enough good things about the craftsmanship, price, and customer service. Ordered the triple play deal late Monday night, received today, Friday. Unbelievable quality. He must have very nimble, piano-playing fingers. The bag is perfect for my kettle. The hop sock is also amazing because it extends far down a keg or carboy to dryhop. I am no scientist, but I would think this would dry hop more efficiently than hanging a small bag from the top. My only regret is BIABing for a year without his equipment.

Highest recommendation!

Not questioning this guys abilities... But when I dry hop the bag usually floats... Your's sink?

a100700 said:
Not questioning this guys abilities... But when I dry hop the bag usually floats... Your's sink?

I just took my bags out of the keg to add more hops. I opted to let them float so I could shake them to whip the hops around. They were maybe 2/3rds of the way down the keg. Because I shake it (under pressure, of course) I think they get soaked which lets them sink. When I use them in a primary bucket next week, I'm going to hang them. the length will be perfect, and I'm obviously not going to shake then.

One more thing: NO hop floaties in any samples I pulled. I always get them for first 10 or so pints. My other bags never quite did it for me.

Any time I dry hop I throw some marbles in the bag and boil that to sanitize, then add the hops, tie it up and drop it in.

Wanted to mention that I used the dry hop bag you threw in with my order and it worked great. I especially like how much easier it washes out than the paint strainer bags I was using previously. Thanks again Wilser!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys. Best to add a little weight to a hop bag, marbles or stainless steel nuts, bolts, or washers work well.

One more positive fb. Just received 1 hour ago the BIAB bag, hop bag and pulley. The bag suits perfectly. Many thanks :mug:

Is there a way to do multiple orders? I'd like to order a few dry hop bags (4) and a hop bag.

My bank/CC is gonna flag that transaction if I make thee purchases in 5 minutes.

Is there a way to do multiple orders? I'd like to order a few dry hop bags (4) and a hop bag.

My bank/CC is gonna flag that transaction if I make thee purchases in 5 minutes.

Thanks! My apologies, the web site check out is not like Amazon, it is too basic but I will try and make improvements.

You can either price out your stuff and add $3 combined shipping and PayPal to the paypal that comes up during checkout which is, mbwilser at geeemail

Or you can PM me for specific pricing.

I have no problem if you want to make your own "cart" with the pricing shown, and add $3 combined shipping....also orders over $40 ship free.

Thanks for the business and patience!
Cheers!
wilserbrewer

Mike, I use a "hops spider" often. Do the width of those bags (5"?) go to the top, so I can use that size of bag on the hops spider? I've been using 5 gallon paint strainer bags, but I want to order these better ones from you.

Yoop,

I can make whatever you need. I make "hop bags" that are roughly 10" X 24" for boiling, and "hop socks" that are roughly 5" X 20" for dry hopping.

Typically a hop spider used in a keggle would use a bag roughly 10" to 12" X 24", but if you know what you want / need, please let me know.

Thanks

Thanks! My apologies, the web site check out is not like Amazon, it is too basic but I will try and make improvements.

You can either price out your stuff and add $3 combined shipping and PayPal to the paypal that comes up during checkout which is, mbwilser at geeemail

Or you can PM me for specific pricing.

I have no problem if you want to make your own "cart" with the pricing shown, and add $3 combined shipping....also orders over $40 ship free.

Thanks for the business and patience!
Cheers!
wilserbrewer

Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I came across the wrong way, it is why I hate internet msgs: I can never tell the tone!

I'll measure out my kettle (20gal blichmann) and spank together an order.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply! Sorry if I came across the wrong way

Not at all the "wrong way". Yes, likewise sorry if I came off the wrong way, all good intended as pleasant!:mug:

I will be the first to admit my site is a bit lame! Tough part is I am now offering more options, and likely need a more sophisticated check out process...but my site building skills, budget and time are limited, also trying to keep prices as low as possible.

Thanks again, and the more information you can give me the better if you have specific needs.

Thanks!
wilser

Back