Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > Great Lakes USA > Wisconsin HomeBrew Forum > German Fest Stein Challenge

Old 07-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #11
mlakota
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

39 in the light lagers was quite good based on what I was seeing. Can't guarantee it since I have no way of knowing whose beer was who's, but that probably made mini-BOS. Mid to high 20s was average for most categories from what I was seeing.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:18 PM   #12
Braufessor
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 601 Times on 428 Posts
Likes Given: 518

Oh yeah.... the 39 was great, I just thought that one would be the 26 instead, and the other two would have done better. I don't know what to make of my Dortmunder right now - I have brewed it twice, same recipe, turned out the same - and entered it 4 times. Twice it scored over 40 and won, the other two times it scored 23 and this 26...... hoping these comments shed some light on what I am doing wrong with it.

Primary: Dark Mild, Helles
Secondary/Lagering: Alt, Scottish 70, Dortmunder, Bo-Pils
Future Brews: Heady Topper Clone, Session IPA, Hop Fu, Porter, Plain ol American Ale More...... More....... Beer.......

Old 07-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
jeffjm
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I've had the same problem, although not as extreme, with my dortmunder. It scored a 39 at Germanfest and took second. In two other recent large comps, it scored a 30 and a 34. I'm really looking forward to comparing scoresheets from all three competitions.

My doppelbock scored a 38 and did not place, which is slightly disappointing.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:23 AM   #14
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 67 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlakota
Scores are up, I ended up taking first in Amber Lagers. Pretty excited about that
Congrats! My Oktoberfest scored 37. To be honest, I'm a little sad I didn't place. I thought it was a really good beer. This was my first competition and I definitely want to start entering more.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:32 AM   #15
wickman6
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 61 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 95

I had 3 entries, a dusseldorf alt, Vienna and a specialty. The last was the beer I served at my wedding, a strawberry hefeweizen.

I'm disappointed the alt scored a 31.5, I thought it was my best entry.

Vienna got a 32, and went on to mini bos.

My wedding brew surprised me at 39. It's been bottled for 5 months, and I'm very happy with that score. Didn't think it was fresh enough, I entered that one just cause I had a few leftovers.

I love Germanfest, wife and I take the kids every year. Grandpa goes as well, and the high point is the annual pig head.

Maybe next year I'll do a bit better in the comp.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:53 PM   #16
BeerBaronBob
BrewHaus Apprentice
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Stein Challenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoung1980 View Post
Congrats! My Oktoberfest scored 37. To be honest, I'm a little sad I didn't place. I thought it was a really good beer. This was my first competition and I definitely want to start entering more.
Dont be dejected the competition was very good this year.

My O'Fest was the one that beat you out for 3rd place and scored a 36. If you look at the wining entries two Viennas took 1-2 with mine taking third as the only Oktoberfest to place.. Nice job mlakota! Care to share your Vienna recipe?

I was stewarding as well on Saturday.

I had a Munich Dunkel that scored 41 and did not place with three Doppelbocks taking 1-3.

On Tap: Stone's 15th Anniversary Ale Clone Imperial Black IPA, Uncle Buddy's Bock, Old Ale Jack Daniels Barrel Aged, Azacca Single Hop IPA, Citra Single Hop IPA, Matilda, Rambler Red, MUnich Dunkel, Red Oktober Lager.

Conditioning/Lagering/Carbing: Goose Island Bourbon County Stout Clone - JD Barrel Aging

Dry Hopping:

Primary:

Next: Cades Campout Ale, Kai's Pale Ale, White IPA

Old 07-31-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
mlakota
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBaronBob View Post
Nice job mlakota! Care to share your Vienna recipe?
Thanks Bob.

72.0% Vienna
22.7% Munich
4.6% Crystal 40
0.7% Carafa Special II

1 oz Hallertauer (4.3% AA) @60
1 oz Hallertauer (4.3% AA) @25

Wyeast 2308 Munich Lager

OG: 1.052
FG: 1.015
IBU: 23

Mash at 151 for 60 minutes. Cooled wort to 46 and pitched yeast. Let rise to 50 and held for 14 days. Raise to 62 for D rest 3 days. Lower temp 3-4 degrees a day to 36 and lager for 5 weeks. I kegged and carbonated to about 2.4 volumes.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
progmac
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 221 Posts
Likes Given: 344

good job everybody! i thought about shipping up a couple beers but never got around to it.

i think homebrewers that are making german styles are generally the very good homebrewers, so i imagine the competition was very tight.