Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Barrel Aging a Doppelbock...when?

Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
erikrocks
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default Barrel Aging a Doppelbock...when?

All...

I've recently decided to concentrate my brewing primarily on German lagers and German ales. I currently have an export stout aging in a 10 gallon bourbon barrel and need to brew something to take its place when I empty it. I'm thinking about brewing a doppelbock, but I'm unsure when to barrel age it. I know the most ideal situation would probably br to lager it in the barrel at around 35 degrees, but I really don't think the barrel will fit in one of my chest freezers. Should I:

a.) barrel age it before I lager it
or
b.) lager it before I barrel age it?

My basement is usually between 60 and 65 degrees consistently. Thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:21 PM   #2
Brewrifle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would think barrel age it before the lager, since it would give the brew more time meld with the oak.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
FarmerTed
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 104 Times on 78 Posts
Likes Given: 309

You could try emailing Schmaltz Brewing/Coney Island about this; they make a Barrel-aged version of Human Blockhead. I'm pretty sure they posted the recipe; they may have the process details on their site, too, but I'm sure they'd tell you what they do.