oaking a lite beer questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

basilchef

Reaction score
I have 1oz lite toasted oak chips that i boiled for 10 mins then let sit in some Jeffersons 10 year rye bourbon for a total of 8 days so far. How long should they soak in bourbon? And how long in the fermenter? I know i should taste it to see where i like it but i dont want to check everyday (estimates?). Just chips or add the whole thing bourbon and all? Thanks and cheers.

They should be ready to toss in now.I would probably put in both the oak chips and bourbon.You did not say what the beer is other than lite so I would not leave it over a week to ten days,pull out a sample around 5 to 7 days and see if it is where you want it and go from there. Good luck and enjoy.

I just did a batch of NB's Rebel Rye Porter. Soaked em in Rye Whisky while the beer was in primary for a week, racked beer on top of the oak chips for secondary for two weeks.

When you say "lite beer", do you mean something like a light lager, kolsch, etc? You'll want to tread lightly so you don't overpower it with the oak, otherwise you'll be waiting a long time for it to mellow out. You can add the oak chips and bourbon if you want a very strong bourbon flavor, or just the oak chips.

As BrewerBear said, the chips should be about ready to go now, so add what you want and sample from around 7 days until it reaches the point that you want to bottle.

Back