Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Worried about my lager!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
alexmet1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Worried about my lager!

Hi,

Me and a few friends started our first brew of lager on Saturday 29th. After a day or so the fermentation started very nicely and we had constant bubbles coming through the airlock. No need to worry then surely, you say?

Well, after about 2 days of good fermenting it has now calmed down a lot and the bubbles are now very slow. So it appears that fermentation has slowed down a huge amount. I decided to take an S.G reading and it came to 1.010 which I thought was good but not quite there yet.

My worry is that it isn't going to reach the ideal S.G that we want (1.006 or lower). Am I worrying for no reason?!

Also, when I sampled the brew in a sample cylinder, it was incredibly cloudy and not nearly as clear and sharp as a good lager should be. Is that something to be worried about?

Thanks for reading and sorry for being a complete novice!

Alex

Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1140 Times on 928 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Your major problem is that the beer isn't done yet. What temperature did you ferment it at and what yeast did you use?

I suspect that you really are brewing an ale instead of a lager as lagers require cooler temperatures and longer ferment times. Some companies will call their kit a lager when it really isn't.

Old 07-04-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
timrox1212
Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 33 Posts

I rarely have any beers dip below a 1.010 i wouldn't worry. What was your og at? And what is your fermenting temp?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 PM   #4
RoundKid
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Lagers take time. It has been four days. Wait it out.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:07 PM   #5
alexmet1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN
Your major problem is that the beer isn't done yet. What temperature did you ferment it at and what yeast did you use?

I suspect that you really are brewing an ale instead of a lager as lagers require cooler temperatures and longer ferment times. Some companies will call their kit a lager when it really isn't.
I'm fermenting at approx 20-22 celsius. The kit I'm using is a coopers cerveza which came with its own yeast.

Thanks

Old 07-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
alexmet1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by timrox1212
I rarely have any beers dip below a 1.010 i wouldn't worry. What was your og at? And what is your fermenting temp?
My original gravity was 1.036 I believe. I am fermenting at 20-22 Celsius.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexmet1 View Post
I'm fermenting at approx 20-22 celsius. The kit I'm using is a coopers cerveza which came with its own yeast.
20-22C? that's 68F-72F, which is in plain ale territory. You're making an ale, not a lager.

It's quite possible that it's done fermenting after 2-4 days.

Leave it be for a while.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
beaston
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Yes. You are worrying for no reason. Let it sit for another week or two. Then Start taking gravity readings every other day. When it goes two readings without the fg changing you will be ready to bottle.

Old 07-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #9
alexmet1
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck

20-22C? that's 68F-72F, which is in plain ale territory. You're making an ale, not a lager.

It's quite possible that it's done fermenting after 2-4 days.

Leave it be for a while.

MC
Thanks for the info. However, I don't see how it can be an ale? It's a coopers kit which is labelled as a Mexican cerveza. Very strange! They also do a European lager which they recommend to ferment at 21-27 Celsius. Could it be just something that Coopers do with they kits?

Old 07-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #10
VladOfTrub
Recipes 

Liked 157 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 217

It's a Lager, meant to be cold fermented and aged. It's only 6 days old, it will be cloudy and it won't taste like Lager. It may never taste like the Lager you're expecting it to be. Depending on the OG, you may be looking at a couple of months or more of Lagering. Lager isn't meant to go from boiler to belly in 4-6 weeks, unless you have the equipment to do it. Rack the beer off the goop in the primary and put the beer in a secondary below 45F and let the yeast do their thing. Don't get air in the beer. If you don't have temp control, it won't be a Lager and won't clear without finings or filtering. Lagers are fun to make, it's best to be prepared to brew them. Keep at it. It takes a while to tune everything in. Make an Ale, you'll have something tollerable to drink in a few weeks.