Is this DME suitable? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Is this DME suitable?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
BeBeer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 30



I'm about to order Dry Malt Extract and want to know what is it that I should be looking for while buying.
The place where I'm ordering from has malt extracts for various purposes (Baking etc).

Not sure if you can tell but wanted to know if this is good for brewing and if I can use it for various recipes.
Here are the Details I could get:
(I have no clue what most of this means, hoping someone here would):

Dry Malt Extract:
Light : Made 100% from pale malt.

Moisture: 2.01%
pH: 5.14
Acidity: 1.01%
Crude Protein: 5.10%
Reducing Sugar: 66.74%
Total Ash: 1.37%
SPC: 200
Y&M: <10

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:51 PM   #2
jeremy0209
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Wernersville, PA
Posts: 192
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts


If it's made from 100% pale malt, I would think it would be OK for brewing. Order enough for one batch (or maybe 1/2 batch) and give it a try. Except for a few dollars, what have you got to lose?

BeBeer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
BeBeer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 30


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy0209 View Post
Except for a few dollars, what have you got to lose?
The minimum order is 50lbs so wanted to double check.
Thanks Jeremy!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
jeremy0209
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Wernersville, PA
Posts: 192
Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BeBeer View Post
The minimum order is 50lbs so wanted to double check.
Thanks Jeremy!
That makes the decision a little tougher.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:37 AM   #5
pagerage
 
pagerage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
Posts: 57
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Well I tried looking up a similar analysis on Briess DME but all I could find was this:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...enLightDME.pdf

Not exactly the same analysis. I see you are in Bangalore. I'm assuming you're in India? If so, I say go for it and give it a shot. I'm sure it will be WAY cheaper than importing "proper" brewers DME! And also, Briess and other companies claim they are for food as well. Maybe start out with 1 gallon batches and just watch the OG. Perhaps you may need to use a little more of this type. Worth a shot I'd say!

Let us know how it turns out!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:16 AM   #6
BeBeer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 30


Quote:
Originally Posted by pagerage View Post
Well I tried looking up a similar analysis on Briess DME but all I could find was this:

http://www.brewingwithbriess.com/Ass...enLightDME.pdf

Not exactly the same analysis. I see you are in Bangalore. I'm assuming you're in India? If so, I say go for it and give it a shot. I'm sure it will be WAY cheaper than importing "proper" brewers DME! And also, Briess and other companies claim they are for food as well. Maybe start out with 1 gallon batches and just watch the OG. Perhaps you may need to use a little more of this type. Worth a shot I'd say!

Let us know how it turns out!
Thank you! You're right, this is my best bet right now. Shall update this post with with the findings.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
pagerage
 
pagerage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
Posts: 57
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Hey, I was just thinking if the supplier would tell you who else in Bangalore orders from them, you could possibly swing by and try to buy a small amount off of them before you invest in a 50lb sack. Maybe just say you'd like to inspect the quality or something.

You'll pay more per pound for the sample but it would allow you to experiment. If you don't mind sharing, how much are they selling the 50lbs for? I completely understand where you are coming from. I just finished a little over 2 years in Central America and am now heading to Eastern Europe for 2 more. When trying to find brew supplies you have to be creative!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #8
BeBeer
Recipes 
 
Apr 2013
Posts: 30


Quote:
Originally Posted by pagerage View Post
Hey, I was just thinking if the supplier would tell you who else in Bangalore orders from them, you could possibly swing by and try to buy a small amount off of them before you invest in a 50lb sack. Maybe just say you'd like to inspect the quality or something.
Yup tried asking for samples. But it's just a handful and they wouldn't sell less. The supplier doesn't know but I was somehow able to find from other sources out a couple of microbreweries in India buy from them. So, I'm making a calculated guess and buying it. Will let you know how it turns out It costs around $40.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
pagerage
 
pagerage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
Posts: 57
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Oh well then if you know a few breweries are using it you should be in great shape! Definitely go for it! And at $40 for 50lbs, that's not too bad a risk.

Good luck!

BeBeer Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
pagerage
 
pagerage's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2013
Kiev, Ukraine
Posts: 57
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Hey BeBeer, how did the DME work out?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
safbrew 033 is this suitable for Belgian ale. scooner Fermentation & Yeast 5 02-14-2013 12:49 PM
Is this suitable for lagering? MikeFallopian Equipment/Sanitation 4 12-20-2011 09:21 PM
Suitable for Oktoberfest ?! hector Brew Science 10 10-02-2011 08:16 PM
Are these suitable for use as fermenters? Andy_LV Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 10-15-2010 06:13 PM
Suitable Substitutions bmantzey All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 06-27-2010 03:06 AM


Forum Jump