Imperial Stout Mephistopheles Stout - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Ale Recipes > Imperial Stout Mephistopheles Stout

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
Silentnoiz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Nashville, TN
Posts: 123
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


And here I am digging up an old thread. I can't help it, this is one of my favorite beers, it is amazing, and I want brew it. I have a complete (starting at Batch 1) vertical of this beer in my cellar. I had an extra Batch 4 recently that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I read that Avery used 2-row barley, black malt, roasted barley, Belgian Special B and aromatic malts, and used Magnum and Styrian Goldings hops (to 107 IBUs).

Anyways, I wanted to see if anyone has brewed/aged/drank this, what their results were, and what they would do differently on a next batch.

My mouth is watering just thinking about this brew.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:42 PM   #12
snpr13
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
keasbey, nj
Posts: 79
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


working on my batch this weekend.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:50 PM   #13
Silentnoiz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Nashville, TN
Posts: 123
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts


Nice! I'd love to hear how it goes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 PM   #14
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
blizzard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Posts: 3,338
Liked 864 Times on 582 Posts


Mine has been aging a year. Very smooth until after a few sips when the warming alcohol sensation builds up on you and you realize how much alcohol is in there. I wish I had let it warm just a little more. I have some on oak I'm very excited about and will probably add wine to a small portion.
__________________
Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 02:55 AM   #15
looneybomber
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Posts: 599
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts


Is anyone trying this with the Wyeast 3787 and then finishing with either champagne or WL099, or is everyone sticking with WL099?

I'd love to try making this beer sometime. It and bourbon county are my two favorite stouts. A blend of those together in one glass would be perfect!
__________________
Queue: King Tut ale, BIG barleywine, Desire mead, .
Fermenting:Denny Conn's vanilla porter
Secondary:
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:22 PM   #16
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
blizzard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Posts: 3,338
Liked 864 Times on 582 Posts


I used 3787 and hit 17+%, but then I force carbed.
__________________
Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #17
looneybomber
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Posts: 599
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard View Post
I used 3787 and hit 17+%, but then I force carbed.
In about 10 days, I will have a large yeast slurry/cake from the quad I am brewing and would like to try this beer. That said, the first post wasn't explicitly clear how the boiled additions were boiled. Was the LME, turbinado, and corn sugar added to water to boil or are you supposed to save some wort and use that to boil?

Did you aerate your wort at any time after pitching your yeast?

What temps during fermentation should I aim for? Normally I try to ferment around 68F with this yeast, but would 71-72 be better?

Thanks.
__________________
Queue: King Tut ale, BIG barleywine, Desire mead, .
Fermenting:Denny Conn's vanilla porter
Secondary:
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #18
truckmann
Mann Cave Brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
truckmann's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Mannford, OK
Posts: 494
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts


For the simple sugars, according to the notes in the original post
Quote:
-Withhold sucanat & LME additions from primary boil; once fermentation has been underway for several days, boil 1/3 of the sucanat & LME and add solution to the fermenter. Repeat with the final two thirds (in 1/3 increments) several days apart.
From my experience and research into high gravity beers you would be best served to keep some of the simple sugars out and use it to feed the yeast during fermentation in order to help keep from over whelming the yeast. If you kept some out it wouldn't hurt to dissolve them in a solution of water and boiled for 5-10 minutes just to make sure to avoid infection. Looks like the OP did this in 3 increments.

As for aeration on a beer this big, pure oxygen is almost a must to give the yeast every chance at a healthy fermentation and I would suggest aerating several times, every 6-8 hours for the first couple days if possible, to make sure the yeast have plenty of O2 to do their work.

For fermentation temp I would start this one out at 63-65F for the first couple of days and then raise it to 68F. It's generally a good idea to keep the temps low for the initial fermentation to avoid generating fusel alcohols and making a rocket fuel headache beer.

On a side note, I would not personally use a yeast cake that just did the work of fermenting a Quad. That yeast has already had a large stress put on it from the previous fermentation and may not be healthy enough to do it again on an even bigger beer without generating some harsh alcohols. If I wanted to use a previous yeast cake I would use something that just fermented a beer around 1.050 or less and probably supplement that yeast with a starter of the Super High Gravity yeast. There is a good article on brewing high gravity beers in the latest Zymurgy suggesting that some have had good luck with the Wyeast 1272 strain and gotten up to 18 abv out of it.
__________________
This is something to fill the empty space below my posts.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 AM   #19
blizzard
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
blizzard's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
Denver, CO
Posts: 3,338
Liked 864 Times on 582 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by looneybomber View Post
In about 10 days, I will have a large yeast slurry/cake from the quad I am brewing and would like to try this beer. That said, the first post wasn't explicitly clear how the boiled additions were boiled. Was the LME, turbinado, and corn sugar added to water to boil or are you supposed to save some wort and use that to boil?

Did you aerate your wort at any time after pitching your yeast?

What temps during fermentation should I aim for? Normally I try to ferment around 68F with this yeast, but would 71-72 be better?

Thanks.
I didn't use LME (mashtun was VERY full) but I boiled the reserved sugars in water before adding. It's a lot of sugar, so don't forget to break it out into a few additions.

I added air using an aquarium pump before pitching and then again 24 hours after pitching.

The temp range on this yeast is 64-78. I let mine get to the higher end of the range early on and then let it drop down to about 70. There is so much going on in this beer that the belgian-yeast flavors aren't prominent. I would let it get above 70 to help it finish out.
__________________
Primary/Secondary/Bottles/Kegged: Delicious, delicious beer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #20
looneybomber
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
lawrence, ks
Posts: 599
Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts


@blizzard. I too was going to use my aquarium pump but was nervous about oxidation if I aerated again in the middle of fermentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmann View Post
For fermentation temp I would start this one out at 63-65F for the first couple of days and then raise it to 68F. It's generally a good idea to keep the temps low for the initial fermentation to avoid generating fusel alcohols and making a rocket fuel headache beer.

On a side note, I would not personally use a yeast cake that just did the work of fermenting a Quad. That yeast has already had a large stress put on it from the previous fermentation and may not be healthy enough to do it again on an even bigger beer without generating some harsh alcohols. If I wanted to use a previous yeast cake I would use something that just fermented a beer around 1.050 or less and probably supplement that yeast with a starter of the Super High Gravity yeast. There is a good article on brewing high gravity beers in the latest Zymurgy suggesting that some have had good luck with the Wyeast 1272 strain and gotten up to 18 abv out of it.
Good point about the temp (I don't want rocket fuel) and I didn't think about that quad yeast cake being damaged goods. What kind of off flavors will it produce if part of it is combined with a 3L starter of WLP099 or wyeast 4347?

Do you have a link to the zymurgy 1272 article? I wasn't able to find it.
__________________
Queue: King Tut ale, BIG barleywine, Desire mead, .
Fermenting:Denny Conn's vanilla porter
Secondary:
Bottled: <1.060: AHS Aniv Wit, lemon wheat, Blonde rye.
<1.090: How Rye I Am, Rye wheat ale, spiced tripel, tripel w/orange, baltic porter, skeeter pee lime and lemon w/cranberry, Milk stout.
<1.110: Reverend clone, IIPA. Chocolate RIS, Bourbon Barrel Quad, chocolate RIS w/oak & whiskey
>1.110 OG: Double W (inspired) stout, Choco milk Czar, Mephistopheles (inspired) stout..

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project: Mephistopheles Evan! Recipes/Ingredients 68 11-22-2015 10:01 PM
Brewing a mephistopheles inspired beer. looneybomber General Beer Discussion 23 04-27-2014 03:58 AM
Any Mephistopheles clone recipes? SwampassJ Recipes/Ingredients 11 03-20-2010 10:09 AM
Mephistopheles stout AndrwHock Commercial Brew Discussion 11 03-29-2008 02:43 PM
Mephistopheles: T-Minus 4 Days, 16 hours... Evan! General Techniques 11 08-07-2007 02:12 PM


Forum Jump