After achieving a solid 45% BH effeciency grinding with a rolling pin... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > After achieving a solid 45% BH effeciency grinding with a rolling pin...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
brewESQ
Recipes 
 
Jun 2013
Baltimore, Maryland
Posts: 11


I learned my lesson and bought a grain mill

Great deal on Rakuten.com and use promo code HAPPY4TH for 20x points - http://www.rakuten.com/prod/premium-...225634958.html

$27.57 shipped plus $5.50 in points.

Anyway, here's my whole story:

hopefully I have a good session brew on my hands after that abysmal 1.030 OG reading!! (shooting for 1.050). Recently bought a 50 lb sack of 2-row, and LHBS said I could come use their grain mill, but lazy and stupid me decided it would be easier to throw in the 4 lbs of 2-row I was using in zip lock bags and roll them out with a rolling pin (only 35% of grain bill). Pre-crushed grains made up the other 65% and I ended up with a <45% Brewhouse efficiency.

Since this brew's probably shot I added a couple pounds of honey right in the primary to get the SG up to a respectable 1.040.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #2
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,960
Liked 1672 Times on 1251 Posts


Right on!

Nice story

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:34 PM   #3
MikeInMKE
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 355
Liked 72 Times on 54 Posts


Rolling pin crushes don't work. Ask me how I know!

I picked up a never-used Corona at a local resale shop for $8. It is missing the hopper, so I'm thinking of sacrificing a stainless mixing bowl for the cause.
__________________
Primary 1: Maibock
Primary 2: Marzen (Oktoberfest)
Primary 3: Empty
Bottled/Kegged: Grateful Dead Guy, Bourbon Barrel Porter, Oktoberfest, Maibock, Barnyard Brown Ale, EdWort's Robust Porter, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Mosaic APA, Moose Drool clone plus, Raging Red Irish Ale, Galaxy APA, Dead Guy clone

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
TrubHead
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Winter Park, FL
Posts: 309
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Rolling pin crushes DO work. I've had to do that when the LBS's mill wasn't working and took home whole grains. I suggest rolling grains on very hard surface.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
cheezydemon3
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
louisville
Posts: 12,960
Liked 1672 Times on 1251 Posts


Of course it will work.....you just have to have the patience of a piece of granite.

Food processor works, but evidently works too well....ask how I know

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #6
TrubHead
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Winter Park, FL
Posts: 309
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
Of course it will work.....you just have to have the patience of a piece of granite.

Food processor works, but evidently works too well....ask how I know
And time cause it takes a while...ask how I know.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #7
hunter_le five
Sheriff Underscore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
hunter_le five's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
New Braunfels, Texas
Posts: 12,924
Liked 5863 Times on 3358 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TrubHead View Post
Rolling pin crushes DO work. I've had to do that when the LBS's mill wasn't working and took home whole grains. I suggest rolling grains on very hard surface.
Good God. I would rather stay sober than crush 10 lbs of grain with a rolling pin.
__________________
:taco:

JohnSand Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
TrubHead
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Winter Park, FL
Posts: 309
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_la5 View Post
Good God. I would rather stay sober than crush 10 lbs of grain with a rolling pin.
Must be a die hard home brewer to endure. Also those possessing girly arms need not apply.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #9
gabbz
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
Posts: 26
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


I managed a 50% efficiency with my own noob idiocy combined with the crappy mill at my LHBS. Just did my second batch from my own mill and managed 86%. It's worth the purchase.

Loved the subject line btw.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Achieving Hop Balance?? HungerJack Recipes/Ingredients 2 02-11-2013 02:46 PM
Achieving Maximum Maltiness klamz General Beer Discussion 15 12-03-2012 06:10 PM
Looking for a kit/Solid Recipe for Rolling Rock Style Pale Lager Thundercougarfalconbird Recipes/Ingredients 2 12-21-2010 02:14 PM
Achieving really high FGs for a Wee Heavy SpanishCastleAle All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 14 11-30-2010 01:02 PM
achieving correct temp nchomebrew Extract Brewing 3 02-14-2008 02:01 AM


Forum Jump