wort watter level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurvymeat

Reaction score
Simple question I suppose but u wanted to know what difference it made.
I have made a few recipes so far and they have ranged from 1gal to 3 or 3.5gal starting on a wort.
What effect does this have, if any?

Um, a one gallon batch is four quarts and a 3 gallon batch makes three times as much beer?

I don't understand what you are asking.

Is this all for 5 gallon batches? The smaller for a 1 or 2.5 gallon batch and the larger for a 5 gallon batch? Your question does seem easy enough to answer, we just need a bit more info to give an accurate answer for what you want to know.

Based on the original post, i can only assume by the phrase 'starting on wort' that the actual batches were the same size, but the boil volume (or resulting wort) was different prior to adding water to reach that batch size.
Assuming this is right, here is how 'boil volume' can affect your beer:
1) too 'thick' a boil can result in, what i call, extract twinge. A weaird, chalky flavor common in homebrews. this is my opinion.
2) the thicker the boil, the less IBU's will be extracted from the hops (assuming boil time and qty of hops remain the same). conversely, the 'thinner' the boil, the more utilization from hops you will have. Trust me, a few yrs back I made a rookie mistake and decided to change my recipe on the fly. In order to limit the extract twinge, i decided to add half of my extract at flameout, although i wrote the recipe assuming all of it was added at the start of the boil. What was supposed to be a mildly hopped nut brown turned into one hell of a bitter beer!

Sorry!
Lack of details. I meant all the beers were 5 gallon batches. And the recipe has the water volume to begin at anywhere from 1gal to 3gal.
Thank you for the responses even though my post lacked many details.
I believe KGG that will help me greatly.

Back