Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Over-Oakage

Old 07-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
Demus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 160 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Sounds like it's easy to over do it. I figure a RIS should stand up to it pretty well, but I'll take it easy. I'd rather barely taste the oak than have it be assertive. Thanks for the input!

Old 07-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #12
aiptasia
Recipes 

Liked 534 Times on 471 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Oak chips actually have a lot more surface area than say, cubes or spirals. They will very quickly over-oak a beer and should be used in small amounts (an ounce or less) in a grain bag for small batch brewing. By small batch, anything under 15 gallons. My scotch wee heavy only gets a treatment of one ounce of scotch soaked light toast oak chips for 3-4 days prior to bottling. This works very well in such a high gravity beer but easily overwhelms smaller beers.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:18 PM   #13
Brewrifle
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I had the same problem with my first and only batch that I used bourbon soaked oak chips in. The flavor was way too harsh and tannic. Since then, I've only aged in a 5 gallon whiskey barrel and have yet to have one that is over-oaked. I'm also going to attempt using cubes at some point that have been soaked to see how the French oak does in comparison to American.
To Brew - TBD

Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM   #14
jonathanchapman1
Recipes 

Likes Given: 17

So just to finish up this thread: I aged it for 20 days at room temp. Cooled it again this weekend and tasted, everything is right where it should be! Thanks for the suggestions and help. I lost some of my dry hopping, but this is still an awesome beer. Next time I will only do 1 ounce, for 2 days max.