Fermentation Chamber build - Not getting cold enough - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > Fermentation Chamber build - Not getting cold enough

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #11
twocent
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousbrew View Post
that was my thought. or you're dumping heat back into the chamber from the hot side of your fridge. How is the heat dissipating from the coils?
How do you check that?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
anonymousbrew
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Tomball, TX
Posts: 111
Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts


i mean, is the entire fridge enclosed in the chamber, or is the backside of the fridge with the coils and fins exposed to the outside.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:08 PM   #13
twocent
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymousbrew View Post
i mean, is the entire fridge enclosed in the chamber, or is the backside of the fridge with the coils and fins exposed to the outside.
Only the front half is in the chamber. the coils are out the back.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
broadbill
Recipes 
 
Aug 2007
Southern Maine
Posts: 3,910
Liked 525 Times on 353 Posts


It looks like you using a refrigerator to cool down a space that is almost 10 times its size. Many dorm fridges don't do a great job of cooling down their own insides.

Frankly I think this is a non-feasible idea due to the size.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #15
twocent
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by broadbill
It looks like you using a refrigerator to cool down a space that is almost 10 times its size. Many dorm fridges don't do a great job of cooling down their own insides.

Frankly I think this is a non-feasible idea due to the size.
Would switching the fridge out for a window A/c be feasible?

pkrath84 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Magic8Ball
Recipes 
 
May 2013
Benton County, Arkansas
Posts: 240
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts


Try taking some foam board cut to size and installing in the middle of the camber. In essence cutting the chamber size in half. If it cools then you have an under sized fridge. I have the same type of chamber but smaller and I have a freezer/fridge to cool thats double the size of your unit. Its been thru 100 deg weather and no problem with ALE fermentation temps holding steady and the fridge is NOT running all the time.

Klutz Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:48 PM   #17
twocent
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball
Try taking some foam board cut to size and installing in the middle of the camber. In essence cutting the chamber size in half. If it cools then you have an under sized fridge. I have the same type of chamber but smaller and I have a freezer/fridge to cool thats double the size of your unit. Its been thru 100 deg weather and no problem with ALE fermentation temps holding steady and the fridge is NOT running all the time.
I actually have a thick piece of 2" insulation cutting the chamber in half it runs full height and is snug

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #18
Magic8Ball
Recipes 
 
May 2013
Benton County, Arkansas
Posts: 240
Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts


Then you need a better fridge. Here is my build FWIW not saying its the only way to do it but its working. I have tried a window AC unit, it didnt work for me. Never kept it cold enough.
Fridge I am using http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-4.4-...Steel/16621129

Reason: insert link to thread

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #19
twocent
Recipes 
 
Jul 2013
Posts: 21
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic8Ball
Then you need a better fridge. Here is my build FWIW not saying its the only way to do it but its working. I have tried a window AC unit, it didnt work for me. Never kept it cold enough.
Fridge I am using http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-4.4-...Steel/16621129
Nice. For that price, I wonder if I could use a chest freezer and cut a hole in the side for a fan

Something like this:

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/app/3895226775.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:18 PM   #20
Klutz
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 36
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by twocent View Post
Would switching the fridge out for a window A/c be feasible?
I have a box that looks exactly like that, I use a small window AC unit and it works great. The AC unit only goes down to 60 degrees, so that's as cold as i can get it but it works great for ales.

The AC unit is made to cool a larger area than a mini fridge, so should work better.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fermentation chamber build CnnmnSchnpps Fermenters 3 04-26-2012 04:16 PM
Fermentation Chamber Build -MG- Fermenters 1 01-26-2012 01:51 PM
Fermentation Chamber Build Hockyplr Fermenters 16 10-04-2011 04:46 AM
Fermentation Chamber build prrriiide Fermenters 25 08-03-2011 05:06 AM
Fermentation Chamber Build Eigenbrau Fermenters 37 02-17-2011 09:11 PM


Forum Jump