So.... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > So....

Old 10-18-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
Whiskey
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Granville, Ohio
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

So the "Guns" picture thread was deleted? That's kind of harsh. Could of just locked it.

Especially seeing this the "18+ not work safe area"....

Just my 2 pennies.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #2
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Feb 2007
Pistol Wavin' New Haven, for now...
Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

It might have been deleted because there's already this firearms thread http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=26598

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 10-18-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA
Liked 534 Times on 429 Posts

I think the OP deleted it. I didn't really pay it much attention, guns aren't my thing.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

Old 10-18-2007, 02:46 PM   #4
Whiskey
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Granville, Ohio

I see, I wasn't trying to stir up trouble or anything....

Old 10-18-2007, 02:52 PM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Guns are one of those areas where people tend to have very strong views one way or the other. Personally, I would much prefer if people discussed those topics (as well as politics and religion) on other forums, but we're all adults here and we're not in the business of slamming down discussions as long as they stay cival. Problem is, discussions ABOUT these topics, especially in this format, rarely stay cival for more than a couple of pages.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie

Old 10-18-2007, 02:58 PM   #6
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Nov 2006
Ohio
Liked 63 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Guns are one of those areas where people tend to have very strong views one way or the other. Personally, I would much prefer if people discussed those topics (as well as politics and religion) on other forums, but we're all adults here and we're not in the business of slamming down discussions as long as they stay cival. Problem is, discussions ABOUT these topics, especially in this format, rarely stay cival for more than a couple of pages.
Agreed. I've also found that most discussions about guns (and certain other topics) are almost doomed from the start. Some people are so passionate one way or the other they they become greatly offended and resort to name calling and/or personal insults to others. It's best to just avoid some topics altogether.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:01 PM   #7
Whiskey
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Granville, Ohio

Oh I completely agree, politics and religion topics for what ever reason typically bring out the worst in people (this is especially true on a forum, anonymity maybe?). My only issue with the thread being deleted is that, at least when I last viewed it, it was civil, just a bunch of gun pics. I've been on some forums where politics or religion discussions were down right disturbing. Then again I've seen sports discussions get just as ugly.

Old 10-18-2007, 03:15 PM   #8
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd

Recipes 

May 2006
Adams, MA

Again, that was a decision (I'm almost positive) of the original poster, who I think was afraid that the thread was about to get out of hand.

The problem, IMHO, with discussions about politics, religion, guns, etc. is that people's thoughts tend to be deeply embedded in them and not really up for change. If we're talking about decoction mashing, for example, and I'm Dude and I think it's a complete waste of time, I'm still apt to read the discussion, maybe learn something about it, and MAYBE my opinion will change. Whether I love decoction mashing or I hate it, it's not something that's a core fabric of my beliefs and how I view the world.

Religion; I'm not a religious guy, I would consider myself agnostic; you could talk to me about why you're a Christian all day, and it's not likely going to change my beliefs (err... lack thereof). Politics; I'm a left-leaning libertarean who loves fiscal responsibility and a live-and-let-live approach to social issues; nothing you can say is going to make me into a hardcore Republican. Part of it is how I was raised, part of it is thinking and philosophies that I have developed and integrated into myself for years and years.

So, those discussions... you're not going to get any converts, and when people talk about them in a way that conflicts sharply with your own personal beliefs, well... that's when it gets personal. They feel like attacks on something that's very much a facet of who you ARE, and you tend to react strongly and negatively.

So - let's talk beer, people!

Old 10-18-2007, 03:20 PM   #9
Whiskey
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Granville, Ohio

Agreed. 9-10

Old 10-18-2007, 04:05 PM   #10
Lil' Sparky
Cowboys EAC

Recipes 

Feb 2006
Honolulu, HI
Liked 73 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bird
Again, that was a decision (I'm almost positive) of the original poster, who I think was afraid that the thread was about to get out of hand.

The problem, IMHO, with discussions about politics, religion, guns, etc. is that people's thoughts tend to be deeply embedded in them and not really up for change. If we're talking about decoction mashing, for example, and I'm Dude and I think it's a complete waste of time, I'm still apt to read the discussion, maybe learn something about it, and MAYBE my opinion will change. Whether I love decoction mashing or I hate it, it's not something that's a core fabric of my beliefs and how I view the world.

Religion; I'm not a religious guy, I would consider myself agnostic; you could talk to me about why you're a Christian all day, and it's not likely going to change my beliefs (err... lack thereof). Politics; I'm a left-leaning libertarean who loves fiscal responsibility and a live-and-let-live approach to social issues; nothing you can say is going to make me into a hardcore Republican. Part of it is how I was raised, part of it is thinking and philosophies that I have developed and integrated into myself for years and years.

So, those discussions... you're not going to get any converts, and when people talk about them in a way that conflicts sharply with your own personal beliefs, well... that's when it gets personal. They feel like attacks on something that's very much a facet of who you ARE, and you tend to react strongly and negatively.

So - let's talk beer, people!
Well said, bird!

BTW - you're going to hell. (Sorry, couldn't resist. I understand if you delete/edit this.)