American Lager 2013 NHC Bronze Medal Winner: Classic American Pilsner - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Homebrew Lager Recipes > American Lager 2013 NHC Bronze Medal Winner: Classic American Pilsner

Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
York, Pa
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Uncle Bob's Old Timey Lager

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.7% 5.75 lbs. Pilsner Canada 1.037 2
18.2% 1.50 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
6.1% 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
6.1% 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2

* caution * grain weights are based on 92% efficiency. Go by percentages and adjust for your efficiency

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Magnum Whole 20.50 31.1 First WH
18.00 g. Crystal Whole 4.60 3.4 15 min.
14.00 g. Crystal Whole 4.60 1.6 5 min.

protein rest 20 min at 122 F
sacch rest for 30 min. at 147 F
Dextrin rest for 15 min. at 160 F
Mash out at 168 F, no rest

Pitched and fermented at 50 F
It was great seeing you win that medal at Nationals! My voice was pretty shot most the next week from shouting after you won No doubt you brew some great beers!

Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Liked 335 Times on 238 Posts

Thanks for posting this. It looks like a very nice recipe. I will be giving it a try.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
TK PK
Liked 36 Times on 32 Posts

its a good one.. and thanks for letting us all taste it

claphamsa on untappd

Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 7710 Times on 5416 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
its a good one.. and thanks for letting us all taste it
It was a good one!

And it was great seeing your name in Zymurgy today! With "homebrewtalk.com" as your homebrew club- that's awesome.

pjj2ba Likes This 
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #16
beernutz
Truth and delusion miner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Mobile, AL
Liked 136 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Watch the grain bill. My efficiency is through the roof (92-95%) so go by the percentages

Yup, the red ????? is the IBU's per hop addition
I could search your previous posts for clues but I'm lazy. Any tips on how you achieve such high efficiency?

all grain brewing since 1991: I love to C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2

Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2006
State College, Pennsylvania
Liked 205 Times on 167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz View Post
I could search your previous posts for clues but I'm lazy. Any tips on how you achieve such high efficiency?
Several reasons:

I mill quite finely - you need a good mash filter! I have a copper manifold with slots cut in it.
I carefully adjust my water pH for maximal enzyme activity. I treat my water to reduce the residual alkalinity (buffering capacity) and adjust the pH to ~5.4 - 5.5 with phosphoric acid - both mash water and sparge water

I mash a bit on the thin side (~1.75 quarts/lb). This gives me enough volume that I can get a nice runoff of the mash before adding any sparge water. After the mash is complete, I vorlauf and drain. Then I add 2.5 gal of sparge water, mix, vorlauf and drain. I add the final 2.5 gal, mix, vorlauf, and then drain. This last time is by gravity, the previous two drainings I use a pump to speed up the process.

Those three are the biggies. Below are some things that might make a little difference.

I use a protein rest - caution though, I use mainly pilsner malt. The endosperm is a martix of protein and starch. I believe doing a p-rest helps to break down the matrix (it is partially broken down during the malting process) which makes the starch more available to the enzymes

I also do step mashes. I think the benefit here is that I do the occasional mix of the mash as I heat
Primary: Ger Pils, CAP
Brewing soon: Pale lager, Amer. wheat
Recently kicked : (
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

mertz88 Likes This 
Old 08-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #18
beernutz
Truth and delusion miner
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
Mobile, AL
Liked 136 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Several reasons:

I mill quite finely - you need a good mash filter! I have a copper manifold with slots cut in it.
I carefully adjust my water pH for maximal enzyme activity. I treat my water to reduce the residual alkalinity (buffering capacity) and adjust the pH to ~5.4 - 5.5 with phosphoric acid - both mash water and sparge water

I mash a bit on the thin side (~1.75 quarts/lb). This gives me enough volume that I can get a nice runoff of the mash before adding any sparge water. After the mash is complete, I vorlauf and drain. Then I add 2.5 gal of sparge water, mix, vorlauf and drain. I add the final 2.5 gal, mix, vorlauf, and then drain. This last time is by gravity, the previous two drainings I use a pump to speed up the process.

Those three are the biggies. Below are some things that might make a little difference.

I use a protein rest - caution though, I use mainly pilsner malt. The endosperm is a martix of protein and starch. I believe doing a p-rest helps to break down the matrix (it is partially broken down during the malting process) which makes the starch more available to the enzymes

I also do step mashes. I think the benefit here is that I do the occasional mix of the mash as I heat
Thanks very much for filling in the details. I think at least initially I will start paying more attention to mash and sparge water pH as a new grain mill or new mash tun are not in the cards.

all grain brewing since 1991: I love to C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2

Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Jan 2008
York, Pa
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Phil,

Got my PH meter and my water is at a 6.2 ph. Where do you buy your Phosphoric acid? I want to adjust the sparge water down to a 5.5 next brew and see if that helps me boost my effienceny some more I thought I was doing good at around 85% your getting great numbers! You used 8.5 lbs in the recipe, it would take me 9.5 lbs to get the same gravity as what your getting.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 940 Times on 686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Phil,

Got my PH meter and my water is at a 6.2 ph. Where do you buy your Phosphoric acid? I want to adjust the sparge water down to a 5.5 next brew and see if that helps me boost my effienceny some more I thought I was doing good at around 85% your getting great numbers! You used 8.5 lbs in the recipe, it would take me 9.5 lbs to get the same gravity as what your getting.
so you'll buy a $3 bottle of acid so you can save $1 on grain?
- Drinking: NHCPA (BPA and APA made with ingredients from Baltimore), 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...