Home Brew Forums > Recipe Database > HomeBrewTalk.com Recipe Database > Pilsner > 2013 NHC Bronze Medal Winner: Classic American Pilsner

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 AM   #11
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,923
Liked 6208 Times on 4421 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Default


This is a wonderful CAP. I loved it.

__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:32 AM   #12
Warrior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 896
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Uncle Bob's Old Timey Lager

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
69.7% 5.75 lbs. Pilsner Canada 1.037 2
18.2% 1.50 lbs. Flaked Corn (Maize) America 1.040 1
6.1% 0.50 lbs. Aromatic Malt Belgium 1.036 25
6.1% 0.50 lbs. Wheat Malt Germany 1.039 2

* caution * grain weights are based on 92% efficiency. Go by percentages and adjust for your efficiency

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
10.00 g. Magnum Whole 20.50 31.1 First WH
18.00 g. Crystal Whole 4.60 3.4 15 min.
14.00 g. Crystal Whole 4.60 1.6 5 min.

protein rest 20 min at 122 F
sacch rest for 30 min. at 147 F
Dextrin rest for 15 min. at 160 F
Mash out at 168 F, no rest

Pitched and fermented at 50 F
It was great seeing you win that medal at Nationals! My voice was pretty shot most the next week from shouting after you won No doubt you brew some great beers!
Warrior is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #13
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Weezy's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 1,742
Liked 311 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Default


Thanks for posting this. It looks like a very nice recipe. I will be giving it a try.
__________________
On Tap: Apollo Pale Ale
Aging: pale sour solera, yeast bay lambic, dregs lambic, dark english wheat on Roeselare blend, sour brown ale
Weezy is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
claphamsa
Professional Jezter PWNZR
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
claphamsa's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: TK PK
Posts: 4,992
Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default


its a good one.. and thanks for letting us all taste it
__________________
I collect magnetic bottle openers... so if you see something nice......

claphamsa on untappd
claphamsa is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:32 PM   #15
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UP of Michigan
Posts: 65,923
Liked 6208 Times on 4421 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by claphamsa View Post
its a good one.. and thanks for letting us all taste it
It was a good one!

And it was great seeing your name in Zymurgy today! With "homebrewtalk.com" as your homebrew club- that's awesome.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
Yooper is offline  
pjj2ba Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #16
beernutz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beernutz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 424
Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Watch the grain bill. My efficiency is through the roof (92-95%) so go by the percentages

Yup, the red ????? is the IBU's per hop addition
I could search your previous posts for clues but I'm lazy. Any tips on how you achieve such high efficiency?
__________________
In keezer: 1. Helles Bock 2. Winexpert Selection Pinot Grigio 3. [empty] 4. [empty]
In bottles: Bee Cave inspired Brown Ale; German Pils; Helles Bock
In process: Double IPL (85 IBU) in primaries; 21 bottles En Primeur Super Tuscan for 12/2015; 13 bottles Winexpert Selection Pinot Grigio for 10/2015
In imagination: Spring Street Saison clone

all grain brewing since 1991: I love to C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2
beernutz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:14 PM   #17
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
pjj2ba's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: State College
Posts: 3,429
Liked 198 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by beernutz View Post
I could search your previous posts for clues but I'm lazy. Any tips on how you achieve such high efficiency?
Several reasons:

I mill quite finely - you need a good mash filter! I have a copper manifold with slots cut in it.
I carefully adjust my water pH for maximal enzyme activity. I treat my water to reduce the residual alkalinity (buffering capacity) and adjust the pH to ~5.4 - 5.5 with phosphoric acid - both mash water and sparge water

I mash a bit on the thin side (~1.75 quarts/lb). This gives me enough volume that I can get a nice runoff of the mash before adding any sparge water. After the mash is complete, I vorlauf and drain. Then I add 2.5 gal of sparge water, mix, vorlauf and drain. I add the final 2.5 gal, mix, vorlauf, and then drain. This last time is by gravity, the previous two drainings I use a pump to speed up the process.


Those three are the biggies. Below are some things that might make a little difference.

I use a protein rest - caution though, I use mainly pilsner malt. The endosperm is a martix of protein and starch. I believe doing a p-rest helps to break down the matrix (it is partially broken down during the malting process) which makes the starch more available to the enzymes

I also do step mashes. I think the benefit here is that I do the occasional mix of the mash as I heat
__________________
On Tap: Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), CZ Pils, Maibock,
Kegged and Aging/Lagering:CAP, CAP II, Wheat lager, Imperial Pilsner, Ger. Pils, OKZ (std Amer. lager), OKZ II (for base malt comparison), light beer - yes, light beer, Belgian IPA, IPA,
Secondary:
Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition
pjj2ba is offline  
mertz88 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:48 AM   #18
beernutz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
beernutz's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mobile, AL
Posts: 424
Liked 81 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by pjj2ba View Post
Several reasons:

I mill quite finely - you need a good mash filter! I have a copper manifold with slots cut in it.
I carefully adjust my water pH for maximal enzyme activity. I treat my water to reduce the residual alkalinity (buffering capacity) and adjust the pH to ~5.4 - 5.5 with phosphoric acid - both mash water and sparge water

I mash a bit on the thin side (~1.75 quarts/lb). This gives me enough volume that I can get a nice runoff of the mash before adding any sparge water. After the mash is complete, I vorlauf and drain. Then I add 2.5 gal of sparge water, mix, vorlauf and drain. I add the final 2.5 gal, mix, vorlauf, and then drain. This last time is by gravity, the previous two drainings I use a pump to speed up the process.


Those three are the biggies. Below are some things that might make a little difference.

I use a protein rest - caution though, I use mainly pilsner malt. The endosperm is a martix of protein and starch. I believe doing a p-rest helps to break down the matrix (it is partially broken down during the malting process) which makes the starch more available to the enzymes

I also do step mashes. I think the benefit here is that I do the occasional mix of the mash as I heat
Thanks very much for filling in the details. I think at least initially I will start paying more attention to mash and sparge water pH as a new grain mill or new mash tun are not in the cards.
__________________
In keezer: 1. Helles Bock 2. Winexpert Selection Pinot Grigio 3. [empty] 4. [empty]
In bottles: Bee Cave inspired Brown Ale; German Pils; Helles Bock
In process: Double IPL (85 IBU) in primaries; 21 bottles En Primeur Super Tuscan for 12/2015; 13 bottles Winexpert Selection Pinot Grigio for 10/2015
In imagination: Spring Street Saison clone

all grain brewing since 1991: I love to C6H12O6 → 2 C2H5OH + 2 CO2
beernutz is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 05:00 PM   #19
Warrior
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 896
Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default


Phil,

Got my PH meter and my water is at a 6.2 ph. Where do you buy your Phosphoric acid? I want to adjust the sparge water down to a 5.5 next brew and see if that helps me boost my effienceny some more I thought I was doing good at around 85% your getting great numbers! You used 8.5 lbs in the recipe, it would take me 9.5 lbs to get the same gravity as what your getting.
Warrior is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM   #20
sweetcell
Swollen Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
sweetcell's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Rockville
Posts: 4,633
Liked 821 Times on 603 Posts
Likes Given: 329

Default


Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Phil,

Got my PH meter and my water is at a 6.2 ph. Where do you buy your Phosphoric acid? I want to adjust the sparge water down to a 5.5 next brew and see if that helps me boost my effienceny some more I thought I was doing good at around 85% your getting great numbers! You used 8.5 lbs in the recipe, it would take me 9.5 lbs to get the same gravity as what your getting.
so you'll buy a $3 bottle of acid so you can save $1 on grain?
__________________
.
What hops should I grow? Looking for cheap honey?

Drinking: black harvest ale (wet-hopped with homegrown hops), witbier, hoppy saison, local sour cherry kriek, oud bruin, gueuz'ish thing, saison bottled with ECY34
Fermenting: IPA w/ HBC-438 (thanks vinnie!), 2x saison w/ 3726, Ardennes BDSA
Aging: witbier with brett, TYB saison brett blend, Tripel'ish with brett, sour cherry mead, rye sour ECY20/ECY34 split, several other sours, acerglyn, and probably some stuff i've lost track of...
sweetcell is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Raspberry Melamel (Bronze Medal winner at 2010 Great Arizona Homebrew Competition) AZ_IPA Mead 90 02-24-2014 08:45 PM
Classic American Pilsner Jon_TWR Recipes/Ingredients 15 03-05-2012 03:07 PM
All-Grain - Magnarillocent Amber - bronze medal Bobby_M American Ale 20 12-03-2009 01:24 AM
Classic American Pilsner KantDance All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 05-11-2008 01:30 AM
Classic American Pilsner paul_beer Recipes/Ingredients 7 03-20-2007 04:29 PM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS