Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kegerators and Keezers > Control fridge, leave freezer

Old 07-01-2013, 09:30 PM   #1
JayUnt
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Control fridge, leave freezer

Hello All,

I have a freezer/fridge in my basement and was wondering if there is a way control the temperature of the fridge using a temperature controller but leave the freezer alone, so it can do its thing. I would like to turn the fridge part into a fermentation chamber, but use the freezer part to keep my food frozen.

I built a temp controller using a chest freezer, but I'm thinking about turning that into a keezer. That temp controller uses a stc-100, but that wouldn't work because it controls all of the power.

Is this possible?

Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
northcal
Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I think the freezer and fridge are powered by the same compressor, so not very compatible with using them with two different temp controls.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #3
JayUnt
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah that's what it seems like. I thought that maybe I could let the freezer freeze and control the part that brings the cold air from the freezer to the fridge. But it doesn't look like it's possible.

Thanks for the response.

Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #4
prandlesc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 3

You could wrap your fermenter in a heat wrap and control temp that way. Leave it in your 35* frig and use fermwrap to get it up to 65* (or whatever)
In The Barrel: [I] Russian Imperial Stout[/B]
Next Brews: Maple Pecan Nut Brown Ale

Old 07-02-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 304 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 337

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcal View Post
I think the freezer and fridge are powered by the same compressor, so not very compatible with using them with two different temp controls.
Northcal is right. The freezer and the fridge are cooled by the same compressor. The most you can hope for is to turn the diverter valve to the full on freezer position in hopes that the compressor runs enough while keeping the fridge cool that it keeps the freezer section frozen.