Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Is this part of fermentation?

Old 07-01-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
gobelin
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Is this part of fermentation?

Hi,

first post here... although I've been reading this forum for a while now.

I have a question concerning fermentation... and possibly infection. I just tried for the first one of wyeast's smack pack (french saison) and I noticed that fermentation was much more sustained than with what I used before (dry yeasts) and I'm on track to reach my final target gravity. It's been in the primary for seven days now and fermentation has slowed down considerably. I noticed however big bubbles and some floaties at the surface (see picture), something I've never noticed with the other dry yeasts I used in the past.

So my question is: is this typical a fermentation product (maybe the strain I'm using) or a sign of infection? Beer smells fine.. haven't tasted it yet though.

If it's infection, is there a point in scooping this stuff out?

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0277.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	132417  

Old 07-01-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
JohanMk1
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 517

That looks completely normal to me.

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 261 Times on 193 Posts
Likes Given: 23

looks... like..... BEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRR!!!! it's fine

Old 07-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
gobelin
Recipes 

Thanks for the replies!

I have been seeing fruit flies in the apartment lately and I was worried they could have fallen in and infected it all... Glad to hear this seems normal to you all!