Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Tis a sad sad day.....

Old 07-01-2013, 04:42 AM   #1
RoughandReadyRanch
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Tis a sad sad day.....

California heat wave day 3...... Tally, two rabbits, 3 cascades, 1 columbus and a pair of flip flops (stepped on a pop top... damn you Buffet get out of my head!!!). Seriously though this heat wave has hit 105,108,109 and the low is Wednesday predicted at 101 with a return to 109 the next day. What the hell do I do? The first years are dropping like flies. Am I screwed till next year or am I just screwed and have to replant?

Old 07-01-2013, 05:07 AM   #2
chumpsteak
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 13

try water

Old 07-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
FuzzeWuzze
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 260 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I agree, why would heat waves be killing plants if you water them properly?

Granted its not quite as hot here but its been 95 for several days now and my hops are loving it.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
Yankeehillbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Yeah water the hell out of them til we get through this heat wave. Mine are happy as hell, especially my first year chinook. OR this could just be weeding out the weak ones.
Primary #1:IPA
Primary #2:
Secondary:
On Deck: Pilsener, Brown, Barleywine, Coffee Porter

Old 07-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

I got a really late planting. The one that have about a foot or more seem to be doing great. The buds that had and inch or less are in hell. they dies back quick even with water.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:17 PM   #6
Pappers_
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1191 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 2297

Yes, from experience in my garden, "too hot" and "not enough water" aren't the same thing. Sometimes it is too hot for a plant, even if you water it thoroughly and continually. Sorry about your hops. My cascades are going great this year, but the willamettes are struggling - I know others grow them in the Midwest, but there's something about my exact location they don't like.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
GVH_Dan
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 204 Times on 148 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Here in WI, we had that drought last year with some high temps. Sure, we were dumping tons of water on the roots but above 90-95F, certain varieties went into a state of dormancy. We didn't have any die, but we also didn't have many 1st year plants.

Maybe try spraying the plants down to allow for evaporative cooling? I recall hearing about the PNW growers doing that. Just be careful that it doesn't promote other fungal growth.

By that, I mean the same as pappers is getting at. You can water them all you want but its still too hot. I'm talking about misting water in the air, on the leaves, etc. so that it evaporates and locally cools the air/plants.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:53 PM   #8
benzy4010
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Any way to shade them? Rig up something to possibly block some direct sunlight during the hottest part of the day? I dunno just thinking

Old 07-01-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Indianhead_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

It is weather like you are having now that makes me glad I left the Central Valley 4 years ago. The humidity can suck here in the Upper Midwest, but those 100+ degree days in Sacramento were killer. Sorry for your heat losses. I'm thinking misters and some shade are the way to go, but probably not economically worth it for a few hops plants.

Old 07-02-2013, 01:28 AM   #10
RoughandReadyRanch
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianhead_Brewer View Post
It is weather like you are having now that makes me glad I left the Central Valley 4 years ago. The humidity can suck here in the Upper Midwest, but those 100+ degree days in Sacramento were killer. Sorry for your heat losses. I'm thinking misters and some shade are the way to go, but probably not economically worth it for a few hops plants.
I would kill myself if I was down in they valley. It might be hot but I can breath up here. I have checked my main hop crop and they all seem to be doing fine. Just these three that were a gift really took this heat wave full shot. Free becomes worthless when I have to dump money into shade and well water for misters. The rabbits on the other hand are under misters, with ice bottles and constant water checks. I can live with plant loss but I hate to lose good meat.