Bulk grain - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Bulk grain

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-18-2007, 01:58 AM   #11
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
bradsul's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,893
Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts


There is actually a malter about 15 minutes north of me. I've been trying to track down their info to maybe arrange a bulk order for any HBT'ers in my area (not that I think there are many).

I'm not sure what all they carry but I know the wheat malt they have is actually Weyerman.
__________________
Brad
Canadian Brewers Unite!


Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:02 AM   #12
z987k
 
z987k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Anchorage
Posts: 3,518
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by avidhomebrewer
i pay $40 for a 50# bag of 2-row. let me know if they ship to zip 53081!
Well mine is only $7 off, and I bet that would be made up for in the shipping, but yes they do ship... not sure how much internet business they get though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:09 AM   #13
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Fingers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Posts: 4,216
Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts


My guy needs me to buy from him. He was talking to the guy from Paddockwood and the bulk ordering by clubs is driving the profits out of these guys carrying stock. My guy was also speculating that he could maybe make more money by letting the grains go and adding more of his other stock (he sells role playing game stuff). I reassured him that I would drop my plans of buying in bulk and continue to buy from him when he told me that I could buy sacks for $45. For me it's win - win, but just keep in mind that if you don't support your local guy, you may just lose him.
__________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:27 AM   #14
Ó Flannagáin
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Wichita Falls, Tx
Posts: 2,998
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


paid $40 for 50lb 2-row, 55lb pils and 55lb wheat. $33 is a good price!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:35 AM   #15
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
bradsul's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,893
Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
...but just keep in mind that if you don't support your local guy, you may just lose him.
That's pretty unlikely given that he's a winemaking shop primarily (don't know what it's like out there, but wine on premises places out here seem to be a license to print money). That said I buy everything I can from him just for that very reason you mentioned. I just can't stomach $60 for 25KG of grain.
__________________
Brad
Canadian Brewers Unite!


Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:37 AM   #16
z987k
 
z987k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Anchorage
Posts: 3,518
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts


My lhbs doesn't stock the sacks, but it'll be in with the next shipment of supplies he receives. Also his 10lb prices are $14.40 so it's a much better deal in bulk.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 02:56 AM   #17
Fingers
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Fingers's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2007
Lac du Bonnet, Manitoba
Posts: 4,216
Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by bradsul
That's pretty unlikely given that he's a winemaking shop primarily (don't know what it's like out there, but wine on premises places out here seem to be a license to print money). That said I buy everything I can from him just for that very reason you mentioned. I just can't stomach $60 for 25KG of grain.
My mistake brad, I misread what you wrote. I was comparing your 40 minute drive to my 90 minute drive and thinking we were getting the same products. If I were in your shoes I'd do the same. I'm very fortunate to have a good AG HBS even 90 minutes away. We get to the city a couple of times a month so I usually have a big bag of goodness in the keezer waiting to be mashed.

My guy is heavy on the wine stuff too. I personally only brew the occassional wine for SWMBO and that's just from a kit. I just can't get as worked up over wine as I do for beer. I honestly don't know if there are any brew on premises in Winnipeg. It's really not something I'm interested in. I have a brew on premises right here at home. Works for me.
__________________
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 03:48 AM   #18
bradsul
Flyfisherman/brewer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
bradsul's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2006
Ontario, Canada
Posts: 4,893
Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingers
My mistake brad, I misread what you wrote. I was comparing your 40 minute drive to my 90 minute drive and thinking we were getting the same products. If I were in your shoes I'd do the same. I'm very fortunate to have a good AG HBS even 90 minutes away. We get to the city a couple of times a month so I usually have a big bag of goodness in the keezer waiting to be mashed.

My guy is heavy on the wine stuff too. I personally only brew the occassional wine for SWMBO and that's just from a kit. I just can't get as worked up over wine as I do for beer. I honestly don't know if there are any brew on premises in Winnipeg. It's really not something I'm interested in. I have a brew on premises right here at home. Works for me.
It happens, no worries. I guess I won't complain about having to drive only 40 minutes now.
__________________
Brad
Canadian Brewers Unite!


Projects: Sylvania Kegerator Conversion, Tower Cooling, Grain Milling Station

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
Cookiebaggs
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 538
Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts


Regular price on 50 lbs of Schreier 2-row is $32. If you buy two sacks it's $30 per bag.

This month the LHBS is having a sale to clear out inventory $25 per sack. Time to pick up another.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 05:31 PM   #20
z987k
 
z987k's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2007
Anchorage
Posts: 3,518
Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts


Grain prices are to go up just like hops, so we all might want to stock up!

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grain mill and bulk grain or kegging system? RayInUT Equipment/Sanitation 55 04-14-2010 03:13 PM
Which Bulk Grain should I buy? shoebag22 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 11 10-27-2009 01:57 AM
Possible NYC/NJ bulk grain buy. bad coffee Recipes/Ingredients 0 03-21-2009 01:59 PM
Bulk Grain Buy in NC Braid General Beer Discussion 2 03-09-2009 03:50 PM
Best grain to buy in bulk? Yunus Recipes/Ingredients 4 12-25-2008 09:24 PM


Forum Jump