Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > beer pushing out of secondary airlock

Old 06-28-2013, 11:24 PM   #1
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default beer pushing out of secondary airlock

This is a new one for me. I have a Wee Heavy/Strong Scotch Ale sitting in secondary bulk aging. I went away camping for 3 days and when I came back I found that the beer had pushed up into the airlock (see pic below).

I brewed this beer on March 29th.
OG = 1.080
yeast = WLP028 (Edinburgh Ale)
Racked to carboy (with minimal headspace) on May 10th...FG = at least 1.018 (I didn't actually check it when I racked, but 2.5 weeks earlier)
Beer was originally at 63°F...but my cellar temp has now risen to ~70°F

I am assuming that the increase temperature caused the beer to expand enough so that it made contact with the bottom of the air lock and then capillary action took over from there...but, is there an alternate reason this might happen? Could it still be fermenting? Infection?

Also, is there any concern about the beer now being in contact with the bottom of the rubber bung? Will off-flavors result? I guess I should just siphon off a little bit of beer to be safe, but has anyone had this happen to them?

(note: I fill my airlock with vodka)

Click image for larger version

Name:	airlock_overflow.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	131838  

My Beer Cellar
Hackwood Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 02:10 AM   #2
tally350z
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 86 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

This happened when I filled my secondary with my barleywine almost to the top of the carboy. It is caused by the change in temperature. I wouldn't worry about any off-flavors or anything. Just remove the airlock clean, fill back up and put back on. Now that the temp should be stabilized, I wouldn't worry about it happening again.
Kegged
- Burton IPA, Munich Lager, Cream Ale
Bottled - Muscadine Port, Imperial Stout

North Florida Brewers League

Old 06-30-2013, 03:16 PM   #3
JLem
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 176 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tally350z View Post
This happened when I filled my secondary with my barleywine almost to the top of the carboy. It is caused by the change in temperature. I wouldn't worry about any off-flavors or anything. Just remove the airlock clean, fill back up and put back on. Now that the temp should be stabilized, I wouldn't worry about it happening again.
Thanks. This is exactly what I did. I also sucked out some of the beer to give just a bit more headspace. Tasted fine

My Beer Cellar