I'm sure this has been stated here before but i wanted to post a reminder for newcombers. Do NOT feed your pets hops. They WILL KILL your pet.
Poisonous and / or
Dangerous Foods for Dogs
When in Doubt - Leave it Out
If any of you are home brewers, you'll know that hops is a plant used in the making of beer.
What you may not be aware of, though, is how toxic hops can be for dogs. Ingestion is extremely serious and the consequences can be fatal.
Hops toxicity can occur both before, and after the hops has been used in brewing. Dogs particularly like hops soaked in sweet wort.
Greyhounds appear to be particularly sensitive to hops poisoning, but ALL dogs should be kept away from hops at ALL times.
IMPORTANT: Rush your pooch to the vet to induce vomiting and provide after care monitoring. You may find that your vet is unfamiliar with hop toxicity. If necessary, contact an Animal Poison Control Center while at your vet, so they can offer professional advice to your vet.
Time is of the essence!
SIGNS AND SYMPTOMS
Ingestion of hops causes malignant hyperthermia in dogs. Carbon dioxide levels in the blood increase at a dramatic rate, and your dog will run an uncontrollable fever
The symptoms of dog poisoning you will likely observe, will be heavy panting and rapid heartbeat (up to 200 beats per minute). Temperatures may rise as quickly as 2 degrees Fahrenheit every five minutes! In some case studies, the dogs' temperatures have reached 108 degrees, at which point death has occurred.
HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?
Even small amounts of hops can trigger a reaction. Greyhounds and Labradors appear to be more susceptible to hop toxicity.
Pellet hop ingestion may possibly be slightly less harmful than whole or plug hop ingestion, but all forms can be fatal.
WHY ARE HOPS PLANTS POISONOUS FOODS FOR DOGS?
Hops plants are extremely dangerous foods for dogs as poisoning occurs leading to malignant hyperthermia. Temperatures rise uncontrollably, and at alarming rates. Carbon dioxide levels in the blood also increase at a dramatic rate.
(list of other dangerous foods to keep away from your pets)
Go right ahead and feed your pet leftover barley (i mix em with flour/peanut butter and make dog cookies) but NEVER let your pet eat your hops.