Rant - TV Brainwashing - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Rant - TV Brainwashing

Old 06-28-2013, 03:35 PM   #1
TheZymurgist

Recipes 

Oct 2010
Georgia
Liked 243 Times on 179 Posts

So I thought cooking competition shows were safe. I didn't think they would try, or even have the ability, to push a message. I was wrong.

Last night, I was watching 'Chopped,' and pretty early on, I noticed a theme. The contestants were a random forgettable guy, a woman whose restaurant focused on locally sourced ingredients, a vegan-turned-carnivore, and a carnivore-turned-vegan. In the interviews, the carnivore turned vegan stated multiple times that he chose to be vegan because he disagreed with the way animals are treated, which is respectable and understandable.

In the first round, the ingredients they were required to use included no animal products. This was somewhat predictable, but was glaring by the fact that the judges were ASTOUNDED by the fact that there wasn't a protein. 'This just HAS to be a Chopped first!' one exclaimed. To add to the hype, the vegan kept saying how happy he was that there weren't any animal products, and the he wouldn't know how to use them if there were. Come to the end of the round, and only one contestant, the random forgettable guy, incorporated any meat into his dish (which was noted over and over by the judges.) Very predictably, he was the first to be kicked off. While tasting the other dishes, the judges kept explaining how their thinking has been challenged and changed, and what a life changing experience this is.

Now I'm starting to get a little irritated. Not because I have any problem with being vegan or vegetarian, but the show is being obviously disingenuous. There's no way these judges (all very experienced and renowned chefs) have never heard of or considered cooking without meat, and I truly doubt this small cooking challenge has had any effect on their lives. Already I can predict the vegan will be the one to win. Granted, he's a good cook, but from what I can see and from what the judges are saying, so are the others.

Fast forward, the next to be kicked off is the woman with the restaurant, so the final challenge is down to the vegan-turned-carnivore and the carnivore-turned-vegan. So far, there have still been no animal products used. For the final showdown, CURVE BALL: Honey. Wait, what?? Apparently insects are animals now. Honey is considered an ANIMAL byproduct. Fine, I'll accept that on the basis that the vegan doesn't like how honey bees are treated. I respect that. The entire time these two are cooking, the both the judges and the vegan are talking about what a problem this is, and how it goes against everything he stands for. Ultimately he succumbs, and uses the honey. When asked by the judges if he had a problem with it, he goes into his diatribe, but then says he thought it was important to win.

So, he's vegan by personal choice, based on principle alone. But, his principles can be bought. For $10,000. He goes against 'everything he stands for,' his words, in order to win a competition, and a measly ten grand. I'm actually shocked the producers would air that, given the fact that they've been touting vegans as superior the entire show.

Again, I really have no problem with vegans, I can actually sympathize with them, even though I don't live the way they do. But don't try brainwash me into believing that it's a superior existence, and for God's sake, don't abandon your principles to win a stupid competition. I'm not sure I can watch this show again.

Ok, /rant.

PistolsAtDawn Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #2
aygov

Recipes 

Feb 2010
Palos Hills, IL
Liked 107 Times on 84 Posts

This is reality TV anything now-a-days. The producers script and cut stuff to fit whatever angle they think is going to create the most drama and in turn get the most views...

Old 06-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #3
gratus fermentatio
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2008
Montana
Liked 2443 Times on 1349 Posts

Honestly, I'll bet you & maybe 10 other people noticed the vegan selling out; everybody else was swept up in the "drama" of the show. It's television, those who produce those shows would sell their own mothers if it meant better ratings. There is no "reality" in these so-called reality shows, certainly no truth; for either of those things you'll have to tune into Discovery, Nat. Geo, or PBS; even then you should take what you see with a grain of salt.
Regards, GF.

TheZymurgist Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
littletommy
Recipes 

Jan 2013
, Indiana
Liked 75 Times on 55 Posts

Food network has sucked ever since Emeril left. I don't think Rachael Ray is on there anymore, either, is she. She was hot back in the day.

Chopped, Iron chef, cupcake war, blah blah blah, it all just really blows.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:11 AM   #5
Hammy71
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2008
, Maryland, The Tax Me State
Liked 527 Times on 400 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratus fermentatio View Post
Honestly, I'll bet you & maybe 10 other people noticed the vegan selling out; everybody else was swept up in .
Honestly, I doubt more than 10 people actually watch these cooking shows.

Reminds me of the South Park episode where Kyle's dad bought a hybrid and thought his sh&^ didn't stink. Vegans usually rub me this way....

gratus fermentatio Likes This 
Old 06-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #6
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

Reality shows are boring if there is no drama. So the drama is manufactured by setting the situation up for desired drama.

Honey was tough for me to wrap my head around too. It was explained to me that its because raw honey has bee parts in it.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #7
Beernik
Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lopez Island, WA
Liked 555 Times on 406 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletommy View Post
Food network has sucked ever since Emeril left. I don't think Rachael Ray is on there anymore, either, is she. She was hot back in the day.

Chopped, Iron chef, cupcake war, blah blah blah, it all just really blows.
Iron Chef used to be cool. But one time I couldn't watch live eels being flayed and roasted while I was eating dinner.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:36 AM   #8
Arrheinous

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Akron, OH
Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts

Does it seem like 80% of the winning entries include that 'mascarpone' stuff?

Old 06-30-2013, 02:47 AM   #9
Zuljin
TR Fitness King
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2012
Defiance
Liked 5314 Times on 4522 Posts

It's fakality tv. They had a vegan. That's different. They played it up. It's as predictable as everything else you found predictable.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:01 AM   #10
neo71665
Recipes 

Jun 2013
, Arkansas
Liked 76 Times on 55 Posts

Craplity TV, you honestly expected better?