Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Does anyone use google anymore??

Old 06-27-2013, 04:32 AM   #1
orangemen5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default Does anyone use google anymore??

I check the current threads daily on here and it seems like ppl just post up noob questions without googling anything first. I'm a noob myself ( 9 months brewing). It's annoying when trying to learn new info and someone post a basic question and you google that basic question and a million and one answers come up. Use google first before posting. I'm just sayin'.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
dinnerstick
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 255 Times on 190 Posts
Likes Given: 22

hear, hear. usually the top 10 hits are on HBT anyway!

neosapien Likes This 
Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
smh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I agree. I will say though that I find the search feature of HBT to be cumbersome. I think people probably look around here for the info then search it and can't find anything so start a new thread. If you actually go to google it does a much better job of picking out useful threads from HBT than its own search feature.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
amandabab
Recipes 

Liked 240 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 446

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemen5 View Post
I check the current threads daily on here and it seems like ppl just post up noob questions without googling anything first. I'm a noob myself ( 9 months brewing). It's annoying when trying to learn new info and someone post a basic question and you google that basic question and a million and one answers come up. Use google first before posting. I'm just sayin'.
then whats the point of a targeted active forum?
everything here was on rec.crafts.brewing anyways, but there is very little new blood there.
every one of your 22 thread start questions were answered 100's of time before. why didn't you google them? you'd probably also be the type to be the first to jump on someone if they posted are revived an old thread.

Old 06-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Enoch52
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I have a dissenting opinion, actually, for a number of reasons:

1. People that are new to the site probably haven't seen the question and answer before (I'm talking about newbies other than the original poster), and it will do them good to see that basic information. If it's only buried in years of threads they'll never see it unless they have the same problem, and it's useful to know it before it becomes a problem.
2. The problems are often similar to, but not exactly the same as what's been posted before. I've had questions where I did google it, but wasn't sure that my problem was quite the same, or the thread died out without any clear sense of what the problem was and how to fix it.
3. Information and best practices change over time. John Palmer's "How to Brew" is up on the web, but it's an outdated version and nobody recommends using it as your primary source anymore. Why would I trust a several-year-old thread when brewing science is improving rapidly?
4. Search sucks. It's not easy to use. Even the original poster suggests using an outside site (google) over the forum tool.
5. Relying on somebody's old thread removes the ability to actually have a discussion with members here and explaining your unique circumstances, or answering questions they might have that might affect your situation.
6. Skipping over threads that appear to ask the same question that you've seen a thousand times doesn't cost you a damn thing. Just don't click the link.
7. Posts like this make the site appear very unfriendly to new members. It might keep them from asking the question, but it will be because they're thinking "am I going to get flamed for this?" rather than "has this already been answered?" This board caters to all its members, not just ones that have been around for a while. Just because you've seen the question a thousand times doesn't mean that new members have.
8. What you're basically saying is "rather than using this forum and participating in the community, we'd prefer you go elsewhere (google) and look it up." You're basically saying "you're not welcome here".

Protip: if you don't like seeing the same questions over and over, you'll want to avoid the Beginner's Beer Brewing Forum. That's sort of what it's here for.

Bottled: NB Irish Red; 1-gallon SMaSH IPA's: Citra, Cascade, Simcoe, Falconer's Flight and Mosaic; Bavarian Hefeweisen; Centennial Blonde; EdWort's apfelwein
Conditioning:
Primary: Mosaic IPA
On Deck: Cherry Melomel
Gone But Not Forgotten: Blue Schoon (Blue Moon clone)
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2013, 11:12 AM   #6
cooldood
Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I am relatively new here and love the forum. I know it can be a PITA to rehash old topics, but it is new to someone and they (me ) need help. It is like the old joke.
Patient : Doctor it hurts everytime I lift my arm over my head. What should I do?

Doctor: Stop lifting your arm.

Stop clicking on "those" threads and the pain will go away immediately if not sooner.
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #7
plumber_bob
Life gets in the way of brewing way too much!!!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 106 Times on 82 Posts
Likes Given: 303

I like it both ways. :-)
I mostly Google my questions, and find what I'm looking for. But sometimes I will ask here to see what kind of answers I get.
Sometimes a person who brews a lot but posts little will chime in with the best answer. It might not work for other posters but is great for you.

Like it's already been said, googling will usually bring you a bunch of HBT hits. And a lot of my questions get answered that way.

pb
When we commit no sin, we go to heaven.
So, let’s all get drunk, and go to heaven!”
— Irish Toast

Old 06-27-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
kwadric
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

Anyone that doesn't like the hbt search try:

"Site:homebrewtalk.com" and then your topic in the Google search box. This will focus the search only to homebrewtalk.com and give you results from hbt.
People Like This 
Old 06-27-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
DrunkleJon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1671 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I like to add "site:homebrewtalk.com " to my google searches. It really helps on the HBT searches. Yes, the same questions get asked repeatedly. No it is not all that bad as you can ignore them, or contribute depending on your annoyance level. that is the beauty of the internet. you can lurk, contribute (or complain), etc to your hearts content.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #10
stpug
Recipes 

Liked 512 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 293

Google Custom Search is already built in to the search feature. You just gotta hit the down-arrow.

Click image for larger version

Name:	GoggleCustomSearch.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	131565  
People Like This