Belgian Dark Strong Ale Strong Like Animal (Belgian dark strong)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorneuron

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WL 500 (Trappist)
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
20L
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
until done; start cooler, say 65F and let rise
Tasting Notes
dark fruit, some light banana and bubblegum, licorice; then malt, a little sweetness
This may be my best batch to date. It's delicious and balanced. Despite some initial gravity samples that seemed too dry, I now understand that this beer achieves a delicate balance between its fruity esters, bitterness, and residual sweetness. The low final gravity means it's drinkable, and it wears its 9.4% (!!) abv very well. In other words, because it lacks the cloying sugary finish that some similar beers have, this one is dangerous.

GRAINS (assuming 70% efficiency)
12 lbs Belgian pils
1 lb carapils or flaked wheat (meant to use flaked wheat, but LHBS was out; either way, it's for body and head retention, so use as you see fit)
5 oz aromatic
4 oz caramel 20L
4 oz caramel 40L
4 oz Special B
4 oz debittered black
3 oz Belgian chocolate malt
*3 lbs piloncillo/panela (added at high kraeusen--see below)

MASH at 152F. You could go higher or lower depending on your preference.

BOIL 90 minutes:
1 oz Meridian pellets (6.5% AA) @ 60 mins [just what I had on hand; anything moderate would work as a bittering addition]
2 oz Styrian Golding (4.0% AA) @ 20 mins
2 whole star anise @ 5 mins

FERMENT with WL 500, which I believe is the Chimay strain and is identical to Wyeast 1214. At high kraeusen, add 3 lbs of piloncillo/panela, boiled (and then cooled) in a trivial amount of water. I started at 65F. The temperature rose gradually, with some control by me. Eventually a heat wave hit, which allowed final temperature near 80F; that helped the attenuation!

The flavor will improve with age. I can't tell you how much it improves with serious age, since I haven't had it for that long yet!

How long did this take to carbonate in the bottle? I'm having to wait almost 4 months for the one I currently have to carbonate and I made one of similar style and strength.

Wow. No, it didn't take an especially long time to carbonate--carbed around 10 days, reasonable flavor stability at about 3 weeks.

How long did you keep yours in the primary for? If you kept it in primary for a long time (say, more than four weeks) and its strength exceeds about 8%, you might need to repitch some alcohol-tolerant yeast at bottling, because the original yeast may be dead. I personally did not have that problem, though. (Most Trappist strains are pretty hardy.) Only one beer of mine has failed to carbonate, and that was a barley wine that I made early in my career.

How long did this take to carbonate in the bottle? I'm having to wait almost 4 months for the one I currently have to carbonate and I made one of similar style and strength.

I used to have the same problems with bottle conditioning. Then i read this

http://byo.com/stories/item/1207-on-the-yeast-guide-to-bottle

I use 1/2 pack of T-58 dry yeast with the starter and keep bottles at 75 degrees for a week. They will be carbed up but age them for atleast a month

Latest posts

Back