Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mash Hopping?

Old 07-20-2013, 06:44 PM   #51
tootal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Well this has been a long and interesting conversation. I was in search of info on mash hopping since I now have a recipe for zoigl. In this recipe you only boil for 5 minutes so there would be no bitterness, just flavor and aroma. I was going to step mash but the gentleman who gave me the recipe is a big fan of decoction so I'm thinking that is why he was getting some bitterness in his beer. It was a wonderful beer when his brewery was open, too bad the management screwed it all up!
As far as FWH, I did this with my first IPA and loved it. You thought the hops were done tickling your tongue then 20 seconds later, BAM, you got hit with some more! We called it Aftershock IPA and it was a great beer. Need to do that again!

Old 09-26-2014, 06:36 PM   #52
No_Party
Recipes 

I've been brewing the Cream of Three Crops recipe found here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/ for a while now as my goto summer ale and experiment base. I think I will add something like 3 oz of a "C" hop in the mash and not have any other hops additions to see what the results will be. I know what the base recipe taste and smells like so well that I think this is a worth while experiment. I will report back on it ASAP.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #53
Crucial-BBQ
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Mash hopping works best with soft water, which is probably why some swear by it and why some say it is a waste of hops.

Also, if you are going to bother with experimenting, and as home brewers you should, you need to examine not only the results but also potentially why you got those results even if they were favorable. If mash hopping sucked for you then perhaps try it with a different water profile, hop, or beer style before you proclaim "been there, done that, hated it". Otherwise the jury will still be out.

Old 11-25-2014, 02:58 PM   #54
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 65 Times on 52 Posts

I've been getting good results mash hopping my Lagers. I'm not looking for overpowering hop flavors or aromas, just a good balance and clean flavor. Mash hopping has done this for me.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:48 PM   #55
Denny
Recipes 

Liked 467 Times on 348 Posts
Likes Given: 583

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobdee View Post
I've been getting good results mash hopping my Lagers. I'm not looking for overpowering hop flavors or aromas, just a good balance and clean flavor. Mash hopping has done this for me.
Out of curiosity, have you compared them to exactly the same thing without mash hops?

www.dennybrew.com

http://www.experimentalbrew.com - the website for the book "Experimental Homebrewing"...coming Nov. 2014

Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #56
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Out of curiosity, have you compared them to exactly the same thing without mash hops?
I've played around with the same Bo Pils recipe for over a year. I have changed the malt bill very little but have tried various hop additions and hop stands. It just seemed I couldn't get that smooth hop flavor, there was always a little harsh bite or aftertaste. Mash hopping seemed to cure that for me.

The other two beers I've been concentrating on is Munich Dunkel and Oktoberfest which are much more malt forward so these beers have less mash hops and just enough to balance the brew.

I also did a few IPL's with Maris Otter and Amarillo and Simcoe awhile back. I used double the amount of mash hops verses my Pils and I had very good hop aroma and flavor. I brought a couple growlers to my club and they were all impressed. Many couldn't believe I didn't dry hop them. These two beers pretty much convinced me mash hopping works.

It could also have something to do with my brewing system? I brew 2.5 gal BIAB with either a step mash or Schmitz Decoction so maybe the full volume and long mash rests help dissolve those hop oils a little better than a traditional mash?

Old 11-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #57
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

All those brews had 60 min bittering additions and the mash hops were the only other hop additions.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:24 AM   #58
Likefully
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I have done quite a quick scan of this thread and didn't see whether the following is answered.

Based on the chemistry described in this thread I think that mash hopping is a good way to get aroma from the hops into (and staying in) beers that are aged?

I am going to try it tonight - will add all the aroma hops in the mash and add a bittering hop as FWH. This is for an american brown ale which will get some honey in the boil to bring the ABV up so its good for ageing.

Old 03-06-2015, 04:23 PM   #59
wobdee
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Keep us posted on how it works out. How much and what type of hops are going into your brown ale?

Old 03-06-2015, 04:43 PM   #60
JF_HBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Party View Post
I've been brewing the Cream of Three Crops recipe found here http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/crea...eam-ale-66503/ for a while now as my goto summer ale and experiment base. I think I will add something like 3 oz of a "C" hop in the mash and not have any other hops additions to see what the results will be. I know what the base recipe taste and smells like so well that I think this is a worth while experiment. I will report back on it ASAP.
How did this turn out?