Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > Flavoring In The Secondary?
Old 06-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 61 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default Flavoring In The Secondary?

Made my first 5 gallon batch of mead in January. Don't have the recipe in front of me, but the honey volume was targeting semi-sweet (which it is). I made it with two cans of frozen orange concentrate, and a few cloves and cinnamon sticks in the primary. It's been on the lees until last weekend, it tastes great and finished out at 14.7%. However, the orange and spices are subtle at best.

I'd like a little more of the orange/spices, so racked to secondary and added three fresh cinnamon sticks and an ounce of dried sweet orange peel. Is this enough to add flavor? If not, how much should I add and for how long before racking to bottles?

Primary 1: Lonely
Primary 2: Lonely
Secondary 1: Orange Mead (Made Jan. 2013)
On Tap #1: Stormy Monday IIPA
On Tap #2: Mild Thing English Brown
On Deck: Thinking....
Old 06-24-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
Liked 206 Times on 189 Posts
Likes Given: 36

In my JAOMs I produce I get a good spice & orangey taste with 1 while orange per gallon and 1 cinnamon stick per gallon. However I also add 2 whole clove per gallon and a pinch of ginger and nutmeg. Not sure how that equates to your dried orange peel but I thought the above may give you an idea.
A painting says a thousand words. But a painting while on good mead just looks funny!
Old 06-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Liked 182 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 30

How about using the part of the orange where most of the actual "orangey" flavour is ?

Zest 5 oranges i.e. 1 per gallon. No pith, that makes it bitter, potentially (JAO is rather different).

Then chuck in a couple more cinnamon sticks and leave it alone for a month or two, before tasting to see how it's progressing.
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away". Tom Waits.

Oh, and here's some blog stuff!