Keg Lube substitute... - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg Lube substitute...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Chromebrew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Katy, Texas
Posts: 148
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts



Hey guys, has anyone used plumbing lube for keg gaskets? Seems like it should work. I have some of this already for lubing the gaskets on Moen cartridges.

Anyone think it might be a problem?

Thanks in advance!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:44 PM   #2
day_trippr
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Stow, MA
Posts: 18,351
Liked 3220 Times on 2406 Posts


If it's "silicone" lube, you're good...

Cheers!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Jon73
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Oregon
Posts: 258
Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts


I've used Vaseline in a pinch. (no pun intended)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 242 Times on 183 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebrew View Post
Hey guys, has anyone used plumbing lube for keg gaskets? Seems like it should work. I have some of this already for lubing the gaskets on Moen cartridges.

Anyone think it might be a problem?

Thanks in advance!
the clear moen cartridge/o-ring grease IS keg lube, or keg lube IS silicone grease.
the standard tan/ beige facet stem lube, i'd avoid for kegs

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:42 AM   #5
Chromebrew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Katy, Texas
Posts: 148
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by amandabab View Post
the clear moen cartridge/o-ring IS keg lube, or keg lube IS silicone grease.
the standard ta/ beige facet stem lube, i'd avoid for kegs
Great info, thanks! Ill make sure its silicone. I think it is its the clear stuff in the little flip top container.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 02:33 AM   #6
amandabab
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
spokane, wa
Posts: 1,971
Liked 242 Times on 183 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebrew View Post
Great info, thanks! Ill make sure its silicone. I think it is its the clear stuff in the little flip top container.
I've been using petrol-gel of years on keg o-rings and its not silicone. its basically clear food grade vaseline. its used on meat slicers and all kinds of Restaurant equipment that contacts food. a lifetime supply 4oz tube is like $4.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #7
Chromebrew
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Katy, Texas
Posts: 148
Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts


Thanks Amandabab, apparently in your case its not been an issue, but ive heard petroleum based products will destroy rubber. Maybe these gaskets aren't real rubber so its not a problem. I was surprised to hear people use vaseline and similar products. I think it may not be as big of a deal as i made it out to be.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #8
JDGator
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Powassan, Ontario
Posts: 730
Liked 62 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromebrew View Post
Thanks Amandabab, apparently in your case its not been an issue, but ive heard petroleum based products will destroy rubber. Maybe these gaskets aren't real rubber so its not a problem. I was surprised to hear people use vaseline and similar products. I think it may not be as big of a deal as i made it out to be.
most "0-rings" (nitrile based) can handle oils and grease and are good in most temperature ranges. they are your most common run of the mill type. vaseline works fine and is pretty cheap. likely much cheaper then keg lube!! You only require a little and very little comes in to contact with the beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plumbers Lube vs Keg Lube mattmuir Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 7 04-03-2013 12:09 AM
Keg lube? Thekeez Bottling/Kegging 9 12-11-2011 03:09 AM
To lube or not to lube SpottedDogBrewing Bottling/Kegging 8 05-24-2011 02:52 PM
Keg Lube akthor Bottling/Kegging 7 10-01-2010 06:46 PM
keg lube? beergutguy General Beer Discussion 19 06-10-2010 05:39 PM


Forum Jump