Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First batch in the bucket!

Old 06-24-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
twistr25
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 114 Times on 107 Posts
Likes Given: 14

You'll want to take that out and clean it up when you can, then add some star san back in it. If it gets too full, the beer can fall back into the bucket and you may risk an infection. Not something you want on your first batch.

Kegs: Tri-Peppered Saison and Sunset Orange Kolsch
Future:Something new, SMaSH perhaps?
2013 Previous: Sunrise Honey Rye Pale Ale, Dark Skies Black IPA, Sunset Orange Kolsch, All Hallow's Eve Pumpkin Ale, Raining Hops and Dogs IPA

Awards/Recognition
Dark Skies Black IPA - 2nd Place at a local comp. Score of 39 from a BJCP judge

Twistr25 Recipes

GT Keezer Build

Old 06-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #12
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2915 Times on 2522 Posts
Likes Given: 2052

It sounds like the instructions said to do a 90 minute boil? It is done with lagers & the like with mash out temps,etc. But with steeping? Normally,you steep the grains,maybe sparge (rinse) them to get your boil volume. Then add about 2 pounds of the extract to the boil,adding LME off the heat so it doesn't scortch when it goes straight to the bottom. Then bring to a boil,watching for the foamy hot break right before it boils,if any. When it boils,add the bittering hop addition. Flavor additions are usually 25-10 minutes left in the boil. 3-5 minutes left for aroma additions. That's atypical anyway of most kits here.
And def rig a blow off tube next time. But do keep the airlock cleaned out & sanitized. I picked up a few extra airlocks for my 2 fermenters,so I can change them out quicker. I use cheap grocery store vodka in my airlocks,since Starsan foams up & out with all the bubbling. Vodka dosen't,& anything that settles into it dies of alcohol poisoning.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #13
codefox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have b-brite...I can pull the airlock and re-san it quickly during lunch if you all think that's necessary. The liquid is well below the level of the tube though...I don't see any way that anything is going to fall back into the beer tbh

Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

The problem comes in when initial fermentation slows to a crawl to finish fermenting down to FG. At that point,the temp starts going down,& a partial vacuum is created. This causes a suck back through the airlock,& all that nastie stuff gets sucked into the fermenter. That's why it needs to be kept clean,& why I use cheap vodka in mine.

Old 06-24-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
codefox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I really like the idea of cheap vodka...I didn't understand what you meant at first by that. I'll pick some up at lunch today and sanitize my airlock and put it back on with that in there. Its going like gangbusters right now so I'm not worried for the time being. Stupid question...could I just sanitize the airlock with the vodka rather than the sanitizer? Seems like that would have the same effect

Old 06-24-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

I spray the stalk of the cleaned airlock with Starsan I keep in a spray bottle,So when the stalk goes into the grommet in the FV lid,it won't bugger anything. Then fill to the line with the cheap vodka. Works fine for me. For a while,I bought the cheap vodka in those 1/2 gallon plastic jugs. They make great blow off jugs 1/3 full of water with a splash of Starsan.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:34 PM   #17
codefox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I only have b-brite for the moment but that's what I used. And refilled with vodka. Hopefully that will all be enough.

Old 06-24-2013, 07:17 PM   #18
Kozzer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 39

I'm in the same boat - primary'd & pitched last Tuesday, fermentation lasted til Friday, and now I'm in the business of keeping the primary under 75F during this hot summer weather. Batch #2 gonna get cooked up soon.

As Tom Petty once said, waiting is the hardest part, but it won't be so difficult once I've already got some home brew to drink. It's this first batch that's making me impatient.
Batch #22 ~ Mosaic SMaSH [AG] ~ Brewed 5/4 ~ consuming

Batch #23 ~ Summer Solstice IPA (Centennial/Amarillo/Mosaic) [AG] ~ Brewed 5/18 ~ bottle conditioning

Batch #24 ~ Nutty Brunette Nut Brown Ale [AG] ~ Brewed 6/7 ~ primary fermentation
codefox Likes This 
Old 07-02-2013, 02:33 AM   #19
codefox
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well, the dry hops are in now and since I had it cracked open (what a great aroma wafted out 8) ) I spooned some into a glass for a little taste. I'm very happy with how this coming out! It was pretty decent warm and not completely finished. Will it stay as cloudy as it was?

Old 07-02-2013, 11:47 AM   #20
unionrdr
struggling author

Recipes 

No,it'll settle out. I wait till the beer hits FG & settles out clear or slightly misty to dry hop 7 days. You don't want the trub & yeast that make it cloudy in suspension while dry hopping. The hop oils coat the particulate matter & yeast cells & go to the bottom with them.