Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Mead Forum > OMG he is editing the JAOM recipe!?!

Old 06-23-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 203 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default OMG he is editing the JAOM recipe!?!

Hello all

I loved my last JAOM I made and am sad that I don't have any more. I decided to throw together a two gallon batch of JAOM but made two changes to the recipe.

Recipe is as follows:

2 oranges quartered and plopped in.
7lb local wild flower honey
Two hand fills of raisins
2tsp of cinnamon powder
4 whole clove
2 pinch of ginger
2 pinch of allspice
3/4 tsp of cardamom
Water to 2 gallon
Yeast (London ESB 1968)

The yeast is known for its low attenuation and low ABV limit so I am hoping it works decently to how the fleishmans yeast would have done. I will let you all know how it goes.

Old 06-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
cavalrymsh
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Subscribed. Will be watching to see how it goes. I don't think I tried my JAOM until it was 6 months post -pitching. At 2 years it's really coming along.

Old 06-30-2013, 09:56 PM   #3
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

May last JAOM really started to mature at about month 7... Then I ran out. This one was very sluggish for the first 2 days and then fermentation picked up. Checked it today and it has slowed to a crawl. I'll wait to check gravity and such in a couple of months to see how far the yeast took this. Hopefully I will not need to back sweeten and it should be about the same ABV as most normal JOAMs at right around 10-12%.

Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #4
cavalrymsh
Recipes 

I used Flieschmans and it finished very (very) dry - i think .998? (My laptop died about two weeks ago, waiting to be shipped for repair, but all my brew logs are trapped inside...). I've had several Europeon friends who've drank my JAOM comment that it tastes very much like a traditional Euro Christmas wine.
I chose not to backsweeten and am glad - it really balanced after the 1 year mark. Just wish I had sparkled about half of the batch. I'm inbetween moves right now so am stuck dreaming about other people's brews and my future brews until I get settled and unpacked. Then...game on.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:12 AM   #5
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Wow surprised you said it finished dry. I wonder if you used 3 or 3.5 lb honey per gallon. If you used a verietal honey it may be one that is lower on the sugar content. Hmmmmmm...

Old 07-01-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
cavalrymsh
Recipes 

Without my Brewlog I can't say with certainty. Variation in the type honey would be my main suspect as well. At the time I was buying both grocery store honey and getting some local stuff from the farmer where I have my lease.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:40 AM   #7
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I checked on the JAOM today to see how the batch was doing. The airlock stopped several days ago so I was curious. I checked the gravity and it is at 1.084 lol. The ale yeast is not doing the best job at fermenting quickly. I hoped it would tucker out before running dry but this strain is going super slow. I used this same strain in a lower gravity pumpkin melomel and it fermented up to 10%abv in 3 days so I know it can ferment quickly.

I added a tsp of yeast nutrient and probably a 1/4 tsp of energizer and mixed well. I made sure it was degassed well and then topped up with a little more water. Let's give this another 30 days and see if it will drop another 50 points at least.

I did not take an original gravity reading but based off the got mead calculator it estimates an OG of about 1.126. So if that is right then I am only at 5.84% ABV. Still a ways to go.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:47 PM   #8
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Well it is fermenting... slowly I think, or more hope. I can't see bubbles coming out if the airlock because I get bored watching it seamlessly do nothing and I walk away too soon but if I press on the jug and let enough Co2 out to have the airlock suck back. The little bobler or what ever that piece is called is pushed up with some new pressure later on. I do not want to fuss with it too much so I will still just hope it is fermenting and not just degassing. I will check the gravity at around the 60 day mark.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #9
cavalrymsh
Recipes 

Looks like it is coming along on its own time! The watched fermenter never bubbles eh?
I was finally able to get at my brew log notes - it was 3 lbs of local honey for a 1.75 gallon batch. It fermented at room temp (DEC/JAN in TX) for 45 days and finished at .997 (Fleishmans Bread Yeast). For some reason I don't have an OG in my log.
Newsman Likes This 
Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Arpolis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavalrymsh View Post
Looks like it is coming along on its own time! The watched fermenter never bubbles eh?
I was finally able to get at my brew log notes - it was 3 lbs of local honey for a 1.75 gallon batch. It fermented at room temp (DEC/JAN in TX) for 45 days and finished at .997 (Fleishmans Bread Yeast). For some reason I don't have an OG in my log.
Ah well that makes seance as to why your batch ran dry. For 1.75 gallons of must you should have closer to 6lb if honey for the sweet JAOM effect.