Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > 30L Speidel fermenter

Old 12-02-2013, 03:33 PM   #11
GoodDogShelby
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 37

I have two and have run at least 10 batches through each. I love them. Easy to move, easy to clean; HUGE airlock. I admit I don't use the spigot. I use a simple racking cane.

I have modified the lids to accept a thermowell. I just drilled a hole and use a stopper mounted thermowell.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #12
fpweeks
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 11

I use one of the orange carboy caps with mine so I can add a thermowell.

https://www.facebook.com/pourhousebrews

Old 12-02-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
pfgonzo

Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 82

fpweeks, genius in simplicity. I too drilled for a thermowell. It never occurred to me the orange carboy caps prob fit right on the threaded stopper hole already there! How tight is it?

Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
fpweeks

Recipes 

I bought the one that is meant for a 6 gallon threaded carboy and it almost threads right on.

Old 12-28-2013, 03:47 AM   #15
Tutsbrew
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 66 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by kja View Post
My spigot is also off centered but it does not have what I would call a pickup tube, only the opening to the spigot. Just semantics?

So you use it with the spigot outlet pointing up? Interesting idea, I'll give that I try the next time I use it.
Edit: I read in the thread long after I posted the below reply and found the subject was touched on. To answer the question asked, the idea works very well with a bucket fermenter with spigot so it should work with the Speidel. Ok, go back to ignoring this post guys... No seriously.

"Captain Noobie" here, but a thought for those who might want to do a two, three or four week primary fermentation in the Speidel yet minimize yeast uptake to keg... What might be the result of resting the front of the fermenter on something say 1/2" to 1" high during fermentation thereby having much of the trub/yeast fall back from the spigot? Then, the day before racking to keg or such, very very slowly and carefully place fermenter flat thereby ending up with much of the yeast cake thicker towards the rear but thinner under the spigot?

Reason: ...I read the entire thread

Old 01-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #16
Survivor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just joined today, so Hi! I just bought my Speidel a few weeks back, and was wondering if you couldn't just put a few paint sticks under the spigot side to raise it a touch to avoid the yeast pickup problem? I do that anyway as I'm racking either buckets or carboys, so why not let it do the entire ferment that way...

My biggest beef is (and I know I should have checked this before I bought it) is that I use a fermwrap/thermowell/Johnson controls setup to keep ferment temps within a degree through the entire process. The Speidel bung is WAY bigger than standard, so I'll have to try and drill another hole off to the side of the existing one for the thermowell. I have the bung in the freezer right now, as I've read they're easier to drill frozen. I think this is doable, but tricky, and I'm an experienced woodworker. It won't be that hard to wreck this bung! I wonder why Speidel hasn't thought of that...anyone drill one yet for this purpose?

EDIT: I did the same thing Tutsbrew did, and I'M a newbie too! Sorry about that, won't happen again. Sounds like the yeast pickup from the spigot's been solved...

I'm still confused about where to put an orange carboy cap. I have several, and if we're talking about "screwing" them on at the spigot hole, won't that leak? I bought the 7.9 gallon Speidel, and cannot see where or how an orange cap would go anywhere on the top, the only threading on mine is 5" across! Plus I would be concerned that a temp reading you'd get on the very bottom of the thing might not be the temp you'd get 1/3rd of the way from the top...I have thought about drilling a larger hole to the SIDE of the bung on that flat part of the orange plastic lid and use a stopper with a hole, but I guess I'd rather wreck the bung than the lid.

Old 01-16-2014, 07:25 PM   #17
fpweeks

Recipes 

I use the orange carboy cap on the threads on the top cap....the port where you put the airlock normally. Then I use a homemade thermowell and a blowoff tube. Works great.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:43 PM   #18
Survivor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My new 7.9 gallon one must be different than yours , fp, because the only threaded anything on the top is a 5" diameter hole. The only other opening in the lid at all is the smooth bung port. I think that's what I'll drill a hole into, the red bung...it's plenty frozen now! I'll report back w/ success or failure!

Old 01-16-2014, 08:51 PM   #19
Survivor
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I think I'll just slink off somewhere else now! I flipped the cap over for the 1st time (I just opened the box a day ago!) and there's the threads!!! I still don't have the "threaded" orange carboy caps (but now I see how they would work) so I think there's plenty of room to drill a small hole aside the red bung opening and just use a standard single-hole bung for my thermowell. Problem solved, thanks fp!
pfgonzo Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #20
butterpants
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 48

This week I brewed up a medium gravity wheat, aerated the hell out of it and pitched a stirplate starter of wyeast 1010 into 6 gallons inside my spiedel. There was close to a foot of headspace so I figured I'm good to go.

Fermented at 62 degrees and this friken yeast took off. Krausen like I've never seen before. 48 hrs later I check the ferm chamber and this badboy had spooged all up in the Spiedel airlock. Goo all running down the sides but it never clogged. Just kept on chugging. If that was a carboy or bucket without a blowoff of adequate side, I would have had a disaster on my hands. Love the Germans...

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Home Brew mobile app