Raspberry wheat. when to add

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flexfit115

Reaction score
My question is about when to add and how much to add my raspberry purée? And if and how to sanitize, it is a 3 lb can of purée. Thanks for the help!

I'm sorry to say I don't know but I'm intrigued so I'm subscribing to the thread to see the answer.

I'm thinking of making a strawberry wheat and if I can just use puree instead of strawberries that'd be cool.

Just out of curiousity, did you ever think about racking to a secondary with rasberries soaked in vodka?

The raspberries are sanitized in the can already when they are packaged. A good rule of thumb is 1-2# per gallon depending on how intense you want the flavor. Add them in secondary.

The raspberries are sanitized in the can already when they are packaged. A good rule of thumb is 1-2# per gallon depending on how intense you want the flavor. Add them in secondary.

Have you ever used puree? I'm hijacking the thread a bit but I'm wondering if when racking to the bottling bucket if a filter is used to keep some of the fruit's seeds out.

The other thing would be does puree or whole fruit impart more of a flavor? Hopefully some of these questions would be flexfit's follow up questions.

So should I put the whole 3 lb can in a 5 gallon batch? My girl loves the flavor or the raspberry shocktop. Which is quite bold.

Just brewed a 3 gallon batch and used the whole can of the Oregon Puree. My wife loves it. Its got a lot of raspberry flavor. I think a whole can in 5 gal would still provide a very noticeable raspberry flavor.

I didnt bother sanitizing it. I sanitized a paint strainer bag, put it in the bucket after 2 weeks of fermenting and dumped the whole can in. Let it sit for a week and pulled the bag out with all the raspberry junk in it.

The beer is really good. Really red in color too LOL.

I will tell you that it is not as sweet as the shock top. Its like a beer with real raspberry flavoring. I thought about adding some simple syrup to it as I kegged but decided not to. Probably a good choice as it is really good as is.

I added a full large can of puree to the fermenter after about a week and left it in for another week then racked to a bottling bucket. I feel the result is too much raspberry flavoring and too sweet but people like it.

Sounds great! I'm really excited to do it tomorrow! How long should I leave it on the primary and then secondary? I was thinking a week to 10 in the primary and 2 in the second. What r your thoughts?

IMO, no need to secondary. Wait for most of the active fermentation in primary to subside 5-7 days, then add right into primary. 2 weeks, it'll be great. Drinking apricot blonde done in this manner, excellent.

Sounds great! I'm really excited to do it tomorrow! How long should I leave it on the primary and then secondary? I was thinking a week to 10 in the primary and 2 in the second. What r your thoughts?

Don't rack to secondary until you are sure fermentation is complete. And even then it may be better to leave it a bit to let the yeast clean up after itself. I have used puree usually the seeds have been strained Imo I would use two cans for 5 gallons.

Sheldon said:
I added a full large can of puree to the fermenter after about a week and left it in for another week then racked to a bottling bucket. I feel the result is too much raspberry flavoring and too sweet but people like it.

Greetings,

I added three pounds of Vintners Harvest raspberry purée to my 23 liter primary of Wheat beer , as per my LHBS instructions. After the OG dropped to 1014, I racked it to secondary. The result was an extremely refreshing, slightly tart and rosy brew. Everyone who tried it loved it! I'm holding on to it as its bottle conditioning just to see how it improves. Next time I may try adding the purée to the secondary as some have suggested on this forum. BTW, there's nothing wrong with a little tart, as my late father always said LOL!

I'm taking a different approach. I'm going to brew my wheat beer, then add raspberry extract to the keg. I did this with a tangerine wheat and it worked great. It lets you control how much flavor is in the beer. Start with a little and add to taste.

Just a quick update to this. The extract bottle said to start at about .25%. My rough calculations translated this to 1.6 oz, or a little less than 1/2 of my 4 oz bottle. Eyeballed some in, no, not enough. Add some more. Oops, a little more than half. Turns out, it's perfect! Just the amount of raspberry flavor I was looking for. Very refreshing.

Thanks for the update! I left mine in the secondary for 3 weeks with the whole can of raspberry purée. Bottled it and sampled it last week only being bottled for a week, and it was perfect! Still had a young beer taste from not being conditioned ( as I expected... The suspense was killing me ). Going to wait 2 more weeks and should be ready! Thanks for all the input !

I recently made my first raspberry/strawberry wheat and ruined it :-/ I used 3lbs of fresh raspberries and about 2 lbs of strawberries, puree'd, strained, and pasteurized the resulting juice (about 2L worth). Racked on to juice in secondary after primary fermentation finished. Came out of secondary absolutely delicious then thought "if its this good now, I should add some extract!" Wrong! I now have 40 bottles of strongly bitter, in the wrong way, raspberry wheat. I'm hoping he bitterness fades over time.

Phage-cage said:
I recently made my first raspberry/strawberry wheat and ruined it :-/ I used 3lbs of fresh raspberries and about 2 lbs of strawberries, puree'd, strained, and pasteurized the resulting juice (about 2L worth). Racked on to juice in secondary after primary fermentation finished. Came out of secondary absolutely delicious then thought "if its this good now, I should add some extract!" Wrong! I now have 40 bottles of strongly bitter, in the wrong way, raspberry wheat. I'm hoping he bitterness fades over time.

I learned that if one turns out bad, just leave it and check on it in about a month. I have had some in the past turn out really bad, and after letting them sit a few months They were just fine

flexfit115 said:
I learned that if one turns out bad, just leave it and check on it in about a month. I have had some in the past turn out really bad, and after letting them sit a few months They were just fine

Thanks. I bottled at the beginning of June, decided to pull a bottle and try one again. Much better than it was but maybe a little more time will ease the pain :) I know a raspberry wheat isn't typically a long aging beer but maybe by next spring it will be amazing

Back