Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

Old 02-16-2009, 11:18 PM   #311
steelerguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just wanted to thank you Bernie Brewer. Washed my Wyeast 1388 tonight from a Belgian Golden Strong Ale I made. Going to use it again next weekend when I make the Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 recipe.

Not only a good money saver but I am starter out with a lot more yeast and I am still going to make a starter for an insane pitch amount!

Old 02-17-2009, 12:53 AM   #312
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerguy View Post
Just wanted to thank you Bernie Brewer. Washed my Wyeast 1388 tonight from a Belgian Golden Strong Ale I made. Going to use it again next weekend when I make the Stone Vertical Epic 08.08.08 recipe.

Not only a good money saver but I am starter out with a lot more yeast and I am still going to make a starter for an insane pitch amount!
Really, if you are starting with so much yeast, there does come a point where pitching more yeast becomes counterproductive. If yeast does not have to work at all to get up to production levels it has no opportunity to produce esters or to consume all of the oxygen in the wort. Instead it will only scrub oxygen and that is not as good.

I'm not sure about the Stone but with Belgian Strong you definitely want esters and you would not want to overpitch.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #313
ChillyP
Recipes 

Doh!!! Washed some White Labs SanFranSicko Yeast tonight and skipped a step. I added water to the carboy, but forgot to let it settle before pouring it into my sterile jars. Luckily I set two of the 12oz jars to the side still filled with sterile water so I could do the separation. To keep the story short I did some on the spot transfers and now sitting pretty. Yeast looks good no turb!

Old 02-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #314
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

It might be in here somewhere but I can't find it...how much yeast (in billions of cells) is in that little cake at the bottom of the jar?

I did find (from the Mr. Malty pitch rate calculator and an article) that a thin slurry is ~1 billion per mL and a thick slurry is ~4.5 billion per mL but I have no idea how thick a 'thick slurry' is. Do we just figure that we have 4.5 billion per mL at the bottom of the jar? Note that I'm just talking about total yeast cells not 'viable' yeast cells...that 'viability percentage' will be another estimation. I just want to get an order of magnitude here...not trying to get too accurate.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-21-2009, 05:25 PM   #315
bearduncle
Recipes 

Could you go over the last step re: decanting? I'm not sure I get how much to pull out. THanks!

Quote:
All that's left to do is label the jars and put them in the fridge. Then when it's time to make a starter, you just pull one out, let it warm to room temp, and decant most of the liquid out of the jar, give the rest a good shake, and pitch it into your starter..

--Beard Uncle Brews--

Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #316
powderbock
Recipes 

Do you store the yeast in the fridge to keep it cool , to keep it out of sunlight, or both. Does light matter when storing yeast? I understand why to keep it cold.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:03 PM   #317
mediocre
Recipes 

Haven't had a chance to read this whole thread, but how long can you keep the washed yeast in the fridge for?

Old 02-22-2009, 03:17 PM   #318
jahdrummin
Recipes 

Got a question... Brewed a British Brown Session Ale... Used Wyeast Brit Ale #1098

Washed yeast... did the whole process... got a little antsy... Is the yeast still going to be good to pitch that i washed, if there may be a chance of any hop or other particulate that didnt fully settle out when i got the solution into the mason jars>?

thanks guys for your help in advance

Old 02-23-2009, 02:19 AM   #319
Reno_eNVy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 205 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 71

I just did this when I racked my newcastle clone into the secondary. I had a couple things go wrong that normally don't but really... RDWHAHB.

Even if you pitch one of your jars into a starter and it doesn't become active well, you have at least three other tries!

Kegged: air and sadness =(

Bottled: English Barleywine (brewed 9/26/09 -- bottled 5/5/10)

LET'S GO LA!
LA CAMPEONES!
PLAY FOR GLORY, THE GLORY LA!

Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #320
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I wonder, which settings in MrMalty.com pitching rate calculator shall i use, when dealing with washed yeast slurry:

Non yeast percentage: 0%
Yeast concentration: Thick yeast (4.5) or Thin slurry (1)

??