Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

Old 02-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #1801
branCHEs
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Speaking of cell count, is there any way to get a rough estimate as to how many cells of yeast you have successfully washed?

I have been thinking about doing this for my next batch but I am unsure how many separate jars to split it into.

I want to make sure that I have the appropriate amount of yeast based on my projected OG.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:11 AM   #1802
zeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Quote:
Originally Posted by branCHEs View Post
Speaking of cell count, is there any way to get a rough estimate as to how many cells of yeast you have successfully washed?
This has been asked and answered a couple times in the last few weeks on here. Here's my answer from the last time: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...ml#post4821930 (many others have given advice on this topic in this thread as well)

Edit: Apparently this link doesn't work for everyone (see Chriso's next post). Sorry. If anyone knows a better way to link to a post, let me know by PM and I'll happily update this one.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #1803
Chriso
Broken Robot Brewing Co.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 132

I can't get that link to work - Because I browse with "40 posts per page" turned on, It gives me a dead link that just takes me to the top of the very last page. - For anyone else also having this problem, the post he's referring to is #1736.

If you are having the same problem as I am, try this URL instead: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f163/yea...ml#post4821930

How annoying that it hard-codes which "page" of posts you are on, based on your view setting. That's not really a "Perma" link..... software fail. Oh well. More of a "Perma, for you, maybe" link. Anyways. Carry on.

Chriso || BJCP Certified || SMaSH Brewers, Unite! || Nebraska Brewers! || Lincoln Lagers Brew Club
"You have just experienced the paradigm shift that is....all grain brewing." - BierMuncher

Old 02-26-2013, 03:06 AM   #1804
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 61

any worry about mason jar bottle bombs with yeast washing? I just put jars in the fridge from a 10 day old primary, fermentation was pretty much done on day 5.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 AM   #1805
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

I'd suggest leaving the screw-on ring a bit loose so the jar can vent easily if it needs to. Even if you screw it tight, mason jars are terrible at maintaining internal positive pressure, so I don't think you'd be able to screw it on tightly enough that the glass would break before the lid found a way to leak.

But I wouldn't be inclined to try.
Brulosopher Likes This 
Old 02-26-2013, 03:37 PM   #1806
lakedawgs
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I make a starter from some of the rinsed yeast I will start with a small gravity wort and move up to a larger gravity wort. I'm guessing this will take about 2 days. If the sample is infected will I know it by the smell of the yeast starter after a couple of days?
Any way to tell if the starter is bad?
Just wondering.
Thanks
Lakedawgs

Old 02-26-2013, 07:51 PM   #1807
Nhurianek
Recipes 

Great thread, very helpful. This was my first go at saving and washing yeast. How did I do? If you haven't tried this it is easier than it seems. Now i have to brew a few more beers. Cheers!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3854551061.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	103979  

Old 02-27-2013, 03:46 AM   #1808
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 296 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhurianek
Great thread, very helpful. This was my first go at saving and washing yeast. How did I do? If you haven't tried this it is easier than it seems. Now i have to brew a few more beers. Cheers!
If you think this is easy, you should try harvesting from a starter (see signature for details)

List of exBEERiments

How To Easily Harvest Clean Yeast from Starters

Make Good Lager in Less Time!

Marshall "Brulosopher" Schott

Old 02-27-2013, 05:24 AM   #1809
Brewitt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brulosopher View Post
If you think this is easy, you should try harvesting from a starter (see signature for details)
Yep, I have been growing up double starters, letting them settle out in the cold, pour off the wort, ad glycerine to 15%, chill again and freeze. Works out great and I always have a couple more starters ready to go when I need that yeast again. I have four yeast strains ready for an overnight and into the fermenter. Saves time and money. Avoids the whole washing process.
Adam Cole (aka cadamole) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6dzUOYTQtQ)

Old 02-28-2013, 01:11 AM   #1810
stonebrewer
Invented the IPL
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 132 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
any worry about mason jar bottle bombs with yeast washing? I just put jars in the fridge from a 10 day old primary, fermentation was pretty much done on day 5.
It can happen. Somewhere, maybe in this thread, I had one erupt on me and I posted a picture. No glass breakage but it did a number on the lid and made a yeasty mess. I highly recommend that you not shake them up, especially with some of the more active yeasts (whatever that means) unless you have cracked the lid a bit. I shook the one in question to get the yeast into suspension to pour out. The yeast started shooting every direction and then there was a loud Pop! and a mess ensued. Fun times!