HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

Old 12-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #1681
DurtyChemist
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2992942216.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	89943
Cry Havoc wash I did yesterday. These are 1 quart jars. I will test attenuation on my next batch since there was no OG reading for this brew. Is the brown stuff dead yeast or trub?

Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #1682
wormraper
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurtyChemist View Post
Attachment 89943
Cry Havoc wash I did yesterday. These are 1 quart jars. I will test attenuation on my next batch since there was no OG reading for this brew. Is the brown stuff dead yeast or trub?
top layer looks like trub to me. the white pretty stuff on bottom looks like yeast

Old 12-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #1683
BGBC
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 836 Times on 588 Posts
Likes Given: 706

The results of my first attempt at washing yeast. Harvested some wyeast 1056 from a batch of honey porter. The illustrated guide was very helpful. Keeping my fingers crossed for no infections and looking forward to using this in future brews!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3481993731.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	90037  
Primary/Secondary: Evolution of Funk (Brett Saison solera), BRB Melomel, Riviere Rouge Flanders Red, Wild Cider, Frankencyser, Long Story Short...Quad, Fuzzy Math (golden sour w/ peaches), Bench Time Mild

Old 12-23-2012, 10:33 PM   #1684
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
kewl, I'll give it a whirl then, the starter is showing signs of activity after 24 hours so late tonight "ll do my boil, if it doesn't take off I can always toss in some cheap WB-06 to finish it off
dang, absolute record. 4 hours after pitching my starter it's bubbling like a maniac

Old 12-24-2012, 01:38 PM   #1685
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidGold View Post
I've heard it from several pro brewers that I have talked to. There are several podcasts out there too.
One from Brew Strong where Jamil talks about it is the 08-10-09 Yeast Washing episode. I don't remember the others ones that I have listened to that have talked about it.
Can't argue with fresh yeast.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:41 PM   #1686
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew View Post
Can't argue with fresh yeast.
very true, fresh yeast always yields the best result. but what's the percentage difference or perceivable difference between them is the question. I've used washed yeast that's 3+ months old and the difference is so negligible that it's not even funny. just brewed with 6 month old yeast right now and It's taken off like a monster and smells n tastes like a million bucks.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:51 PM   #1687
TripleHopped
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
very true, fresh yeast always yields the best result. but what's the percentage difference or perceivable difference between them is the question. I've used washed yeast that's 3+ months old and the difference is so negligible that it's not even funny. just brewed with 6 month old yeast right now and It's taken off like a monster and smells n tastes like a million bucks.
A lot of it has to do with the type of yeast too. From that Brew Strong episode they mentioned the Hefe yeast will start to give off flavors if it is not used within a couple of weeks. They did say other yeasts can last for several months after being washed/rinsed with no ill affects.

5 Gallon Portable Corney Keg Cooler
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/cool...-build-135048/

Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 PM   #1688
wormraper
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidGold View Post
A lot of it has to do with the type of yeast too. From that Brew Strong episode they mentioned the Hefe yeast will start to give off flavors if it is not used within a couple of weeks. They did say other yeasts can last for several months after being washed/rinsed with no ill affects.
hmmmm, funky, maybe i just can't tell the difference, I can barely tell the difference in hefe's I've made with fresh or months old yeast :shrug:.... interesting to know though.

Old 12-25-2012, 12:43 AM   #1689
pabloj13
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 109

Quote:
hmmmm, funky, maybe i just can't tell the difference, I can barely tell the difference in hefe's I've made with fresh or months old yeast :shrug:.... interesting to know though.
The part I don't get about this idea is age of the yeast after what? Harvest? So if you make a fresh starter it should reset the clock? White Labs and Wyeast make the yeast basically the same way we do.

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout

Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #1690
DurtyChemist
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13

The part I don't get about this idea is age of the yeast after what? Harvest? So if you make a fresh starter it should reset the clock? White Labs and Wyeast make the yeast basically the same way we do.
Fresh being new tube/smack pack bought from the store

Month old from first harvest I believe.