Yeast Washing Illustrated - Page 151 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 10:03 PM   #1501
TBaGZ
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Estero, FL
Posts: 551
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts


Well my one gallon pickle jar didn't like being boiled. The bottom broke off clean. I ended up using a plastic pitcher that I dunked in some star san.





__________________
I want to make beer!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:48 PM   #1502
wormraper
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Tucson, AZ
Posts: 509
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts


well, I have 4 mason jars with washed 3068 sitting in my fridge that I did from my hefe batch 4 weeks ago. going to brew another hef this weekend. my question is... should I create a starter any longer in advance than a smack pack? like should I do it 2 days in advance to make sure it comes out of sleep being that the yeast has been in the fridge for 4 weeks or is 24 hours enough for it?



 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 09:07 PM   #1503
GulfCoastGirl
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Emerald Coast, FL
Posts: 236
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
well, I have 4 mason jars with washed 3068 sitting in my fridge that I did from my hefe batch 4 weeks ago. going to brew another hef this weekend. my question is... should I create a starter any longer in advance than a smack pack? like should I do it 2 days in advance to make sure it comes out of sleep being that the yeast has been in the fridge for 4 weeks or is 24 hours enough for it?

Last week I brewed a Belgian Wit and A Hefe both (5 gallon batches) from washed yeasts (WLP 400 & WLP300) and that yeast had been sitting in my fridge for 2 months.

I did a starter (on a stir plate) 24 hours ahead of brew time and the yeast did just fine and took off with no problems. I did take the yeast out of the fridge about 2 hours before I made the starter just to let it come up to room temp. I don't know if that matters or not.... it just seemed logical to me to do it that way.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 03:11 PM   #1504
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
msa8967's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 2,858
Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts


I recently washed 3 batches of yeast and ended up with 10 mason jars with the bottom cm containing yeast. I know I should make a starter when using the washed yeast but in terms of determining the size of the starter how should I treat the viability of the washed yeast compared to liquid yeast I buy from the HBS?

Wil the washed yeast have a much lower viability and thus should I make a larger starter?
__________________
Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:20 AM   #1505
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967 View Post
I recently washed 3 batches of yeast and ended up with 10 mason jars with the bottom cm containing yeast. I know I should make a starter when using the washed yeast but in terms of determining the size of the starter how should I treat the viability of the washed yeast compared to liquid yeast I buy from the HBS?

Wil the washed yeast have a much lower viability and thus should I make a larger starter?
The viability is dependent on when you harvested. You can use Mr Malty to tell you how many billion viable cells you have and then use yeastcalc.com to tell you what size starter(s) you need.
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:15 PM   #1506
wormraper
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Tucson, AZ
Posts: 509
Liked 24 Times on 24 Posts


quick question. I have 4 mason jars of 3068 yeast. say I use 1 or 2 to make a new batch. now I have 2 leftover. should I just wash the yeast out of the newly finished batch and use THOSE for my next batches or use the washed yeast leftover from my FIRST washing??

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2012, 11:30 PM   #1507
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
quick question. I have 4 mason jars of 3068 yeast. say I use 1 or 2 to make a new batch. now I have 2 leftover. should I just wash the yeast out of the newly finished batch and use THOSE for my next batches or use the washed yeast leftover from my FIRST washing??
I try to keep the older generations around for a while just to make sure the new ones are ok (i.e. not contaminated and washing went well) until my older generation starts to get a little bit up there in age.

So if I were you I'd use some of your newly washed yeast (assuming it's out of a decently low ABV, non-super hoppy beer) and see how that goes. Once your original stock starts to get old (4-6 months is what a lot of people do, though some have used past 1 year), I would use one of them to make a batch with a proper size starter. This way you can make your original vial last for MANY batches.
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:02 PM   #1508
msa8967
mickaweapon
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
msa8967's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2009
North Liberty, Iowa
Posts: 2,858
Liked 102 Times on 82 Posts


Anyone know what each of these layers might represent in my yeast starters from washed yeast? I tried making my own starter wort from grain and then canning it so one of these layers might be hot break pieces although I tried to keep that out of the starter.
Click image for larger version

Name:	037 (2).jpg
Views:	441
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	67940  
__________________
Mick Arnett
North Liberty, Iowa
"Beer will change the world. I don't know how, but it will."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:08 PM   #1509
pabloj13
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Durham, NC
Posts: 1,553
Liked 92 Times on 80 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by msa8967
Anyone know what each of these layers might represent in my yeast starters from washed yeast? I tried making my own starter wort from grain and then canning it so one of these layers might be hot break pieces although I tried to keep that out of the starter.
The yeast is the creamy white thin layer on top of the trub.
__________________

Kegged Two Hearted, Dragonmead Final Absolution
Bottled Robust porter, Founder's Breakfast Stout, Ommegawd Hellepin, Ed Wort's Apfelwein
RIP Snake Dog IPA, Biermuncher's OktoberFAST, Falconer's Flight IPA, Two-Hearted clone (Culturing Bell's Yeast), Noberon wheat, Skeeter Pee using dry yeast, Smooth Oatmeal Stout


Simple and easy wort aeration - Harvest yeast from your blowoff - Homebrew Spicy Mustard

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:26 AM   #1510
Brewitt
Senior Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
Brewitt's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
Encinitas, CA
Posts: 852
Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by pabloj13 View Post
The yeast is the creamy white thin layer on top of the trub.
Yep, that's the stuff!



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yeast washing vs. yeast harvesting (kraeusen skimming) Dogslovebeer General Techniques 14 05-30-2013 06:05 PM
Washing yeast, starters, pre-made wort, all kinds of yeast Q's 98EXL General Techniques 15 09-06-2011 05:55 PM
Conical to Keg Illustrated John Beere Bottling/Kegging 25 03-21-2011 07:38 PM
Decoction, An Illustrated PPT Presentation BierMuncher General Techniques 2 01-03-2008 11:30 PM
My first All-Grain...Illustrated BierMuncher All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 28 02-01-2007 06:19 PM


Forum Jump