Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Yeast Washing Illustrated

Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #1081
Kealia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman1957 View Post
I personally don't reuse yeast because my brew cycles are too far apart to make it viable.
How far apart are they? I've used 6 month old washed yeast with no issues at all. I have some older that I just haven't tried yet so I don't know how far back I can go.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:36 PM   #1082
beerman1957
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I have read that the washed yeast should be used within a month, but obviously you have proven that you can use it again. Others here may be able to respond better than I. Most of my brews are about 4 weeks to 6 weeks apart.

I usually just use Safale US-05 for the majority of my brews and I really don't see why I should save the yeast since dry yeast is so readily available. Even though I have been brewing for years, I just have not used the yeast washing method at all. Perhaps it is just the fact I am too busy with my mundane job!

Came back to edit. After reading some more, there have been good results using washed yeast up to one year old. Most of what I read suggested that you should not go over 3-4 months. In any event, a starter is needed to insure good yeast reproduction.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #1083
Kealia
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Yep, I always use a starter and I think I've seen a few people also mention using it up to a year. For US-05 I wouldn't bother either but for some of the liquids I'm happy to save the money on repurchasing the same strain.

Old 08-10-2011, 02:57 PM   #1084
pola0502ds
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

So you guys are saying that even if you wash the yeast you should make a starter? Well heck, on a 5 gallon batch of beer that you are washing the yeast from there is a heck of a lot of yeast to begin with

Old 08-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #1085
kingmatt
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
So you guys are saying that even if you wash the yeast you should make a starter? Well heck, on a 5 gallon batch of beer that you are washing the yeast from there is a heck of a lot of yeast to begin with
A starter for washed yeast is more to determine viability (especially if it has been sitting for awhile) than to increase cell count.
Secondary 2: Air
Kegged: Rye IPA, Unnamable IPA, Sort of Sunshine IIPA
Bottled: English Mild, Peanut butter banana porter
On Deck: Vienna Lager, American Amber, 100% Brett IPA
-=My Keezer Build=-

Old 08-10-2011, 04:31 PM   #1086
rodisian
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinGutesBier View Post
Speaking of smells and tastes, does anyone want to take a shot at answering my question about sterilized, though somewhat tomato-y smelling salsa jars for yeast washing? Will the starter smell like a TexMex restaurant?
I know this question was asked a couple years ago, but I just recently had experience with this so I figured I'd answer anyway...

I've reused yeast from salsa jars and tomato sauce jars. I would've bought some new mason jars but I have no need for a pack of 12 (nor the desire to store them). So I went the frugal route, cleaned up the jars, threw them in the dishwasher, then soaked them in oxyclean when I was removing labels from bottles and... they've worked great! No issues with the reused yeast.

So I'm not necessarily recommending this, but if yeast washing day arrives and you're low on options, it's worth a shot

Old 08-10-2011, 04:52 PM   #1087
kapbrew13
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodisian

I know this question was asked a couple years ago, but I just recently had experience with this so I figured I'd answer anyway...

I've reused yeast from salsa jars and tomato sauce jars. I would've bought some new mason jars but I have no need for a pack of 12 (nor the desire to store them). So I went the frugal route, cleaned up the jars, threw them in the dishwasher, then soaked them in oxyclean when I was removing labels from bottles and... they've worked great! No issues with the reused yeast.

So I'm not necessarily recommending this, but if yeast washing day arrives and you're low on options, it's worth a shot
Same here. Use tomato sauce jars. Lid smells like sauce but doesn't seem to make my yeast smell like roasted garlic sauce. Worse case I have roasted garlic tomato ale.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:36 AM   #1088
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default How much is a heck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pola0502ds View Post
Could anyone give me an ballpark estimate of how many ml of yeast in total could be harvested from a healthy 2.75 gallon brew of an ale (OG 1.070) using 05 yeast. I seem to have a hell of a lot more than I expected to get and wonder if some of it is junk?

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM   #1089
pickles
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 23

That's not easy to do. How do you transfer wort? How do you chill? False bottom in the BK? All these and a few more variables will determine how much trub, cold break, yeast, etc are in the fermentor. My process uses a plate chiller which gets recirculated and have a filter in the BK so very little crud makes it to my fermentor. I would guess that I get 1-1.5 L of yeast that is diluted in some beer. It's really hard to say, since it really depends on your process and vitality of your fermentation.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #1090
el_caro
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickles View Post
That's not easy to do. How do you transfer wort? How do you chill? False bottom in the BK? All these and a few more variables will determine how much trub, cold break, yeast, etc are in the fermentor. My process uses a plate chiller which gets recirculated and have a filter in the BK so very little crud makes it to my fermentor. I would guess that I get 1-1.5 L of yeast that is diluted in some beer. It's really hard to say, since it really depends on your process and vitality of your fermentation.
I did a PM BIAB of Yoopers Dead Guy Clone using Death Brewers PM stovetop method. I have what looks like about 650 - 700ml of yeast after washing the entire cake of a 2.75 gallon brew in 2 litres of water. Does that sound plausible?