Understanding how much late addition hops - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Understanding how much late addition hops

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
jbsengineer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 345
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts



Hoping someone could help me out here. So if I take a recipe I find online and plug it into Beersmith I'm always a bit puzzled on how to mirror the amount of late additions hops. Early addition hops are fairly easy given I can use the IBU's as a gauge. However, 1 minute or 0 minute hop additions don't add any IBU's. So after I calculate the difference in my AA% and age how would you replicate the amount of hops during a late addition?
__________________
Electric Brewery Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,416
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post
Hoping someone could help me out here. So if I take a recipe I find online and plug it into Beersmith I'm always a bit puzzled on how to mirror the amount of late additions hops. Early addition hops are fairly easy given I can use the IBU's as a gauge. However, 1 minute or 0 minute hop additions don't add any IBU's. So after I calculate the difference in my AA% and age how would you replicate the amount of hops during a late addition?
AAUs don't matter, so they are just used at the same amount. An ounce of hops late in the boil for aroma give an insignificant difference even if the AAUs are different.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 01:44 PM   #3
badlee
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Thailand, Chiang mai,Thailand
Posts: 2,072
Liked 159 Times on 128 Posts


Some would say that the more you add at, say 1 minute, the better the beer. Well, the hoppier the beer,which is almost the same.
As Yooper said, it doesn't matter,dont stress and just add as much as you want to get aroma in return.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
jbsengineer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 345
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Understand. So in your opinion where in the boil would you rely on the amount versus the IBU's? 15 minutes there is some bitterness added so you could use the IBU calculations to mirror the amount of hops. Whereas at 5 minutes there are so little IBU's you probably want to rely more on the amount of hops proportional to the batch size?
__________________
Electric Brewery Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,416
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post
Understand. So in your opinion where in the boil would you rely on the amount versus the IBU's? 15 minutes there is some bitterness added so you could use the IBU calculations to mirror the amount of hops. Whereas at 5 minutes there are so little IBU's you probably want to rely more on the amount of hops proportional to the batch size?
No, I'd probably use the same amount of hops at 15 minutes as in the recipe I'm following, regardless of the AAUs.

Think of it this way- flavor and aroma hops are like spices in cooking. If you use, say, a teaspoon of oregano in your spaghetti sauce, using .75 teaspoon will lessen the flavor. It'll still be ok, but not with the same flavor punch as intended. The same is true of hops in those late additions.

I'm not sure how many IBUs a small AAU difference will be in 15 minutes without running it through some software- but it won't be much. The difference between 5.7% AAUs and 6.5% AAUs in a 15 minute addition should be negligible.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
jbsengineer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 345
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


So where would be your cutoff point on relying on amount vs. aaus? 20 minutes? 30 minutes?

Thanks Yooper!
__________________
Electric Brewery Build

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
Yooper's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Posts: 69,416
Liked 7842 Times on 5495 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jbsengineer View Post
So where would be your cutoff point on relying on amount vs. aaus? 20 minutes? 30 minutes?

Thanks Yooper!
It really depends on the style of beer- a German lager would perhaps be something I'd keep the IBUs closer, for example- but for any pale ales or ambers where the hops are a flavor/aroma part of the flavor I'd not worry about changing any hops that weren't bittering hops. Generally, that'd be with 20 minutes or less in the boil.
__________________
Broken Leg Brewery
Giving beer a leg to stand on since 2006

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 06:27 PM   #8
jbsengineer
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Syracuse, NY
Posts: 345
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts


Basically what I have been doing great. Thanks for the help!
__________________
Electric Brewery Build

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Late addition hops in scotch ale? zach1288 Recipes/Ingredients 1 11-27-2012 03:43 AM
Late addition of bittering hops? Dadga General Beer Discussion 4 02-11-2012 07:37 PM
Late addition hops for 2.5 gal batches? Burgs Recipes/Ingredients 0 09-22-2011 12:21 PM
Late extract addition how much hops? Patton191 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 03-07-2009 03:18 AM
Very late addition flavor hops g_rath General Techniques 6 02-21-2008 01:36 PM


Forum Jump