Brettanomyces Strain Guide - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Brettanomyces Strain Guide

Old 06-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
levifunk
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Madison, WI
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Brandon at Embrace the Funk and I have put together a Brett Strain Guide. It lists all the strains we know of, their taxonomy, source, and flavor/aroma profile. Hopefully this is helpful to some of you and clears some confusion surrounding the relationship between strains.

http://funkfactorybrewing.blogspot.c...ain-guide.html

A big thank you to Al Buck at East Coast Yeast for helping with this.

People Like This 
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
dcHokie

Recipes 

Mar 2010
Washington, DC
Liked 257 Times on 195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by levifunk View Post
Brandon at Embrace the Funk and I have put together a Brett Strain Guide. It lists all the strains we know of, their taxonomy, source, and flavor/aroma profile. Hopefully this is helpful to some of you and clears some confusion surrounding the relationship between strains.

Thanks for posting Levi, good info here.

Old 06-20-2013, 02:22 PM   #3
sweetcell
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2012
Rockville, MD
Liked 954 Times on 695 Posts

superb info. thanks for putting this together!
- Drinking: BPA made with ingredients from NHC, 2 blends of a rye sour: ECY20 + ECY34, local sour cherry kriek #2, brett'ed Belgian blond on raspberries
- Aging: Imperial Chocolate Milk Stout (half on coconut), sour blond on second-use cherries, English Barleywine (half on brett), 3726 saison w/ brett x2 (dregs mix & Lochristi), GNO 3724 saison w/ brett mix, sour cherry mead, acerglyn, and a few other sours...

Old 06-20-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
spenghali
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Corvallis, OR
Liked 17 Times on 17 Posts

Thanks for the post.

On a side note, what kind of sources exists for the taxonomy of brewer's strains of sacch, brett, and bacteria?

Old 06-21-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Royal Oak, MI
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

I suppose this is as good as any place to put the info, but I emailed Green Flash to ask what Brett is in their Rayon Vert and I was responded to quickly by one of the owners (which is awesome, by the way) that they use Brett Brux from White Labs. Just to add to the record.
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, The Yeast Bay Melange Sour, Bourbon Barrel Quad
In bottles: Mango sour, Lambic, Brett tripel, Sour brown, Brett L/B Porter
Kegged: Jamil's Sweet Stout with Raspberries, Dry-hopped sour (De Bom), De Bom on tart cherries

Old 06-21-2013, 12:22 AM   #6
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Royal Oak, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by levifunk View Post

Thank you for putting this together. It is fantastic information. I copied and pasted it into a Google Doc in my personal brewing folder and will definitely be keeping an eye on it for updates.
Secondary/Aging: ECY01 Sour #1, ECY01 Sour #2, The Yeast Bay Melange Sour, Bourbon Barrel Quad
Kegged: Jamil's Sweet Stout with Raspberries, Dry-hopped sour (De Bom), De Bom on tart cherries

Old 06-21-2013, 04:45 AM   #7
berebrando
Recipes 

Dec 2010
Orange, CA
Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

If you haven't already, you will want to get in touch with Dmitri at Bkyeast. I'm fermenting with a couple of his strains within the next month. He's a busy guy (is there such a thing as a nonbusy guy) but I think he's doing some rad work.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
joshrosborne
Recipes 

Jun 2012
Royal Oak, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by berebrando View Post
If you haven't already, you will want to get in touch with Dmitri at Bkyeast. I'm fermenting with a couple of his strains within the next month. He's a busy guy (is there such a thing as a nonbusy guy) but I think he's doing some rad work.
Which strain did you use? I saw he has Brett from Cantillon Iris right now.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
levifunk
Recipes 

Feb 2012
Madison, WI
Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by berebrando View Post
There is a tab at the bottom of the list for the Smaller Labs sheet. We are keeping tabs of them, but there isn't much information on those strains.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:06 AM   #10
GuldTuborg
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Mar 2010
OH
Liked 941 Times on 645 Posts

Good stuff. Thanks for putting this together.