WLP 076 Old Sonoma Ale - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > WLP 076 Old Sonoma Ale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 01:29 AM   #1
TommyTbar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Lansing, MI
Posts: 120
Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts



Waiting on this strain to arrive at the LHBS, read about it on white labs sounds like an basic ale yeast just curious if anyone has used it. No reviews on their site....

Also fermenting an IPA with the last platinum release, there Australian Ale, any one used it in an IPA? and or anything else? I found it to work fast and floc out pretty quick.. bout to bottle half the batch and keg the other half

Let me Know
__________________
"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 05:39 AM   #2
winvarin
 
winvarin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Edmond, OK
Posts: 1,131
Liked 54 Times on 49 Posts


Everything I have read, I think it is either the strain, or a derivative of the strain Jack McAuliffe used at New Albion

justkev52 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
dannyhawkins
 
dannyhawkins's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 190
Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts


I've got Australian ale yeast going in a SMaSH - Golden Promise/Hallertauer
I'll let you know how it goes.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
TommyTbar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Lansing, MI
Posts: 120
Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by winvarin View Post
Everything I have read, I think it is either the strain, or a derivative of the strain Jack McAuliffe used at New Albion
Interesting just reading up on New Albion some rich history there, would be awesome to find out what they brewed and try to brew something in honor, might have to do some more research.

Thanks for the reply
__________________
"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
TommyTbar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Lansing, MI
Posts: 120
Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhawkins View Post
I've got Australian ale yeast going in a SMaSH - Golden Promise/Hallertauer
I'll let you know how it goes.
Awesome, I'll do the same
__________________
"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
nicklepickles
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Any update on how your IPA with the Australian Ale yeast turned out TommyTbar? Looking to make sometime similar in the next couple days.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
TommyTbar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Lansing, MI
Posts: 120
Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by nicklepickles
Any update on how your IPA with the Australian Ale yeast turned out TommyTbar? Looking to make sometime similar in the next couple days.
Srry for the late reply, turned out amazing had quite the bready English aus ale character to it but still allowed the hops to shine through, defiantly not the cleanest fermenting strain but personally loved the results, I used to live in aus and reminded me of some of the beers I had down there, but way better, I think this was because of the classic west coast American hops.
If you followed through with your endeavor let me know how it turned out
__________________
"There's something inherrently pleasing to me about using flowers rather than green rabbit turds."

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #8
Coff
Recipes 
 
Aug 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,515
Liked 187 Times on 130 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTbar

Interesting just reading up on New Albion some rich history there, would be awesome to find out what they brewed and try to brew something in honor, might have to do some more research.

Thanks for the reply
Their flagship was a pale ale, all 2-row and Cascade ~6%abv. Sam Adams re-brewed it earlier this year.
__________________
Blog:
Alesoftheriverwards.com

Twitter: @ecoffy
Instagram: @alesofriverwards

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
austinb
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Portland, OR
Posts: 247
Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts


For those of you who are curious about this yeast, I used to brew with it when I worked for the Mendocino Brewing Company and had access to it for use in my homebrew. The Mendocino brewing company, originally called The Hopland Brewery was stared by the New Albion brewers and acquired the yeast (and equipment) from New Albion after they shut down. Overall it is a good clean and fast fermenting American ale yeast. Mendocino Brewing Co ferments with it at 68 degrees and their 6.1% ABV Red-Tail Ale is usually down to its final gravity in 5-8 days (7 is about average). For those of you who enjoy bottle harvesting yeast, all of the classic Mendocino Brewing Co beers are bottle conditioned so you can harvest the yeast if you can get your hands on their beers (I believe their website has distribution info). You may have to use multiple bottles and do a small first step though because they force carb their beer nearly to its ending carbonation level and only add a small amount of yeast to finish it off. They have had a contract with one of the yeast companies (white labs I believe) for many years who isolated the strain so they go no more than 7 generations before starting over so if you do harvest their yeast it should be relatively pure and close to what you would get if you got it from white labs. In my experience with it, it was a very reliable yeast and would make a good alternative to the Sierra Nevada (us-05/wlp001/1056) as a house strain.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #10
nicklepickles
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Posts: 235
Liked 29 Times on 21 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTbar

Srry for the late reply, turned out amazing had quite the bready English aus ale character to it but still allowed the hops to shine through, defiantly not the cleanest fermenting strain but personally loved the results, I used to live in aus and reminded me of some of the beers I had down there, but way better, I think this was because of the classic west coast American hops.
If you followed through with your endeavor let me know how it turned out
Awesome! I ended up making a black session ale with it, and it turned out pretty good. A little bit more bitter then what i was expecting though. All in all, id definitely do it again

TommyTbar Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
San Fran/Sonoma Musts? vtbiscuit General Chit Chat 2 02-14-2012 09:53 PM
headed to sonoma scott249 General Beer Discussion 6 01-04-2010 06:05 AM


Forum Jump