Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Carboys Glass vs Plastic

Old 06-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #21
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 792 Times on 570 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlee View Post
Not really, search the forum a bit. You'll find multiple reports of ER visits due to glass carboys.
This is true. There are several threads of people out there who have seriously injured themselves when they've dropped their glass carboy or had them inexplicably shatter.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #22
passedpawn
Waste Allocation Load Lifter - Earth Class
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 4422 Times on 2676 Posts
Likes Given: 3769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
This is true. There are several threads of people out there who have seriously injured themselves when they've dropped their glass carboy or had them inexplicably shatter.
Even one story of death.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/brok...endium-376523/

World is full of sharp corners. I've hurt myself many times with a simple screwdriver. The message here is to be careful. Since drinking makes me clumsy, I got rid my glass carboys a long time ago.

Old 06-19-2013, 01:10 PM   #23
iBrewR
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Like anything "news worthy", you only hear the sensational stuff. Not many of the more common stories about, "I moved my carboy from the fridge to the counter today." Like driving a car, motorcycle or even gun control. When tragedies happen, people like to blame something. It's often misplaced rather than admitting it was preventable if they'd only used a little common sense. Then they feel they have to tell the world about it in a "this could happen to you" story, as if that will somehow take the blame away from them.
People Like This 
Old 06-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #24
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrewR View Post
Like anything "news worthy", you only hear the sensational stuff. Not many of the more common stories about, "I moved my carboy from the fridge to the counter today." Like driving a car, motorcycle or even gun control. When tragedies happen, people like to blame something. It's often misplaced rather than admitting it was preventable if they'd only used a little common sense. Then they feel they have to tell the world about it in a "this could happen to you" story, as if that will somehow take the blame away from them.
Well said.

Old 06-25-2013, 02:09 PM   #25
Accidic
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrewR View Post
I get the needless risk aspect though. I also understand that it is a tradeoff though. The Line-X thing is one I'm seriously considering (I have cheap means of having it done so long as I don't care what color it is) and while it isn't ideal I'm thinking it will minimize my risk nicely and still allow me to scrub the absolute piss out of the inside with virtually anything reasonable without worrying about scratches. Alternatively, I'm thinking about asking my Aunt who made me a fantastic Carboy hauler out of an old tow strap to make me one with a zip up opaque outer shell that would both prevent light from passing as well as protect from injury resulting from accidental breakage. I'd love to get it made out of that "knife-resistant" material they make the filleting gloves out of but I simply don't know where I'd get something like that and I haven't thought of a good alternative which is why I haven't done it yet.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:31 AM   #26
DonNowlin
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Stupid on my part, but putting hot wort in a Better Bottle will result in the top caving in. Another reason for me to go back to the plastic bucket.

Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #27
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 37 Posts

On cleaning better bottles, I use oxyclean free and HOT water. No need to soak, usually just put in a gallon of hot water and a couple tbsp oxyclean. Shake it good upside down for a minute. For stubborn gunk, stuff in a couple paper towels or rags and swirl them around on the gunk. Rinse several times w hot water. PBW rocks but oxy does almost the same thing and SO much cheaper.

On tap: American Amber, Kate's Dregs, Munich Dunkel
Bottled:Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.

-Abraham Lincoln