Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Equipment/Sanitation > Carboys Glass vs Plastic

Old 06-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
Richardb22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Carboys Glass vs Plastic

I am a new brewer and read up on this.

Glass: Easy to clean, lasts forever, heavy, no possibility of plastic tainting your brew.
Plastic: Light, easier to store, degrades, could get scratched and harbour bacteria.

I got a deal on a 23lt glass carboy which is full of betterbrew export lager where it is ageing.

Organising the large cupboard which I have taken over for brewing i nocked over a pile of empty 33cl bottles one of which bounced off the fridge and pinged in a graceful arc onto the carboy.

My carboy looks like it has beens shot. A tiny crack and beer leaking. An emergency application of plasterers sickytape has stopped the leak but it is finished I think.

Back in the day my parents made wine and the carboys were all in metal wire baskets surrounded by straw and cloth.

I think it is plastic for me from now on. Accidents happen. Gutted. Will bottle next weekend and say goodbye to my glass carboy. I hoped we would be together for many years but it was not to be.

Richard

Old 06-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #2
MrJames
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I like glass for the simple fact that I can watch what's going on inside. It's kind of fun to see the reaction going on.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #3
Pratzie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Ive also read of people converting SS Corny kegs for fermentation. Or SS boil kettles that ALSO seal up and double as a fermenter.

I've been looking around cuz im getting weary of better bottles and i think im gonna try a modified corny keg next.
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
I like glass for the simple fact that I can watch what's going on inside. It's kind of fun to see the reaction going on.
And you can't do that with a Better Bottle?
Old 06-17-2013, 11:23 AM   #5
Gitmoe
Recipes 

Liked 102 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
You can do the same thing with a Better Bottle...
kh54s10 Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
aryoung1980
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have always used glass but now I have both. We had a plumber in our basement a couple weeks back and he shattered my 6.5 gallon. With all the broken carboy stories I've read about and people getting injured, I thought it be a good time to try plastic. I'm gonna brew up an American Dark Lager this week in it. Hopefully I like it.

Not sure if you knew this (I didn't) but the guy at my LHBS said I shouldn't use a brush in it to clean. Just a good soak in PBW and rinse well.

Old 06-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #7
Ryush806

Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJames
Plastic better bottles allow the same thing.

I prefer glass solely for the fact that it bothers me to have a plastic carboy deform when I pick it up, off gas, and then suck air in after I set it down again

Beer, if drank with moderation, softens the temper, cheers the spirit and promotes health.
- Thomas Jefferson

Old 06-17-2013, 11:42 AM   #8
Pratzie

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryush806 View Post
Plastic better bottles allow the same thing.

I prefer glass solely for the fact that it bothers me to have a plastic carboy deform when I pick it up, off gas, and then suck air in after I set it down again
Ahh the infamous noob post titled "HELP! SANITIZER SUCKED BACK INTO CARBOY". Ive been there, done that.
Secondary: Empty
Aging:
On Deck: Deception Cream Stout, BierMuncher's Centennial Blonde, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, Joe's Ancient Orange Mead, Reaper's Mild

Old 06-17-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryoung1980 View Post
I have always used glass but now I have both. We had a plumber in our basement a couple weeks back and he shattered my 6.5 gallon. With all the broken carboy stories I've read about and people getting injured, I thought it be a good time to try plastic. I'm gonna brew up an American Dark Lager this week in it. Hopefully I like it.

Not sure if you knew this (I didn't) but the guy at my LHBS said I shouldn't use a brush in it to clean. Just a good soak in PBW and rinse well.
That's how I clean my better bottles. I fill them with hot PBW overnight, rinse, and sanitize. It does a much better job than trying to scrub it with the carboy brush and is much easier.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:21 PM   #10
UofMontanaAlum
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin18 View Post
That's how I clean my better bottles. I fill them with hot PBW overnight, rinse, and sanitize. It does a much better job than trying to scrub it with the carboy brush and is much easier.
After speaking to Better Bottle customer support, they do not recommend PBW for prolonged soaks. They say it weakens the plastic and can cause cracking.

I started with Better Bottles. Both Better Bottles lasted less than a year before the bottoms formed a crack and leaked. I would say both of them never saw more than 5-8 batches each. When I contacted Better Bottle customer support they told me to go pound sand so I decided to move away from their product. I have since moved to 6.5G plastic bucket primary and 5G glass carboy secondary.