Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Brew House kit - WILD fermentation

Old 02-06-2009, 11:44 PM   #31
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Revisiting this....

$6 price difference from raw ingredients and you save $4 of propane and 4 hours time?
If the guy makes better beer than you and offers what you want then it's a no brainier.

Old 03-04-2011, 04:22 AM   #32
mitch101
Recipes 

hey guys, i just bought my RJ's indian pale ale and rj'S brewing equpitment kit. i mixed in the wort with the ph and water stirred, and pitched my yeast in the primary with the lid (the lid with this kit doesnt have an airlock). i left it in the primary for the 3-5 days (40 for me) and the head rose and dropped like it was supposed to. i then siphoned it to the secondary with the airlock. its been 5 days and no airlock bubbling? its the correct temperature, is this supposed to happen? did my fermentation mostly happen in the primary with just the lid and co2 blanket?

HELP GREATLY APPRECIATED

-mitch

Old 03-04-2011, 02:50 PM   #33
NewfZX7
Recipes 

Sounds alright, I didn't have much activity in the secondary with these kits.
Did the lid blow off your primary?
Mine did even with an air lock on there, I use a blow-off tube now.

PS:
I've done quite a few of these kits now and I don't bother with the secondary anymore, unless I want to dry hop.

Old 03-04-2011, 03:33 PM   #34
Enggboy
Recipes 

We have been using the Brewhouse kits for a couple of years and we like to tweak the kits a bit with additional sugars, or berries (Maple Cream, Raspberry Wheat, etc).

If you want to see vigorous fermentation, take a look at what happened when we added raspberries to the secondary after a week in primary. Keep in mind that this happened at a very low temp for the 3068 ale yeast (14*C).

If that doesn't work, click HERE
All of the berries managed to squeeze themselves out of the top after blowing out the rubber bung. I will be bringing my wife's carpet cleaner over to my friends house where we were brewing...

Old 12-13-2011, 08:12 PM   #35
bluenose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enggboy View Post
If you want to see vigorous fermentation, take a look at what happened when we added raspberries to the secondary after a week in primary.
That's crazy...

It looks like this thread's been reactivated, so I'll add my $0.02. I started on these kits and love them. I've also tried festa brew and coopers cans, but I always go back to the brewhouse cream ale when I need some comfort beer

I'm thinking of trying something akin to Hacker Pschorr Hefeweisse... I'm new to this hacking thing, but my thoughts are to use a wheat kit and add some orange to it, but not sure when the best time to do that would be...

suggestions welcome

Old 12-14-2011, 06:56 AM   #36
pyth
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

I did one of those brew house kits about 2 months ago. It was a canadian blond ale. Was my very first brew actually. Came out good in some ways, bad in others.

On the positive side, ease of use. It's like making a big jug of kool aid for the most part. Another positive note, was the finished product was -crystal- clear. I mean like, almost no sediment in the bottle, well carb'd, and clear as a Budweiser. I'm not sure how, as I don't understand why it came out that clear, but it was very nice.

On the negative side, I had some def fruity ester sort of flavors. But it was allowed to ferment at like 78 degress, as per the kits instructions. Something I now understand was likely very foolish. So kit instructions for fermentation temps are kinda wonky.

Overall a pretty good brew if you're just looking to slap together something fast and easy in 20 minutes. Not really my cup of tea personally, as I'd rather be a bit more hands on with the brewing.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:26 AM   #37
WAdamC
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluenose View Post
That's crazy...

It looks like this thread's been reactivated, so I'll add my $0.02. I started on these kits and love them. I've also tried festa brew and coopers cans, but I always go back to the brewhouse cream ale when I need some comfort beer

I'm thinking of trying something akin to Hacker Pschorr Hefeweisse... I'm new to this hacking thing, but my thoughts are to use a wheat kit and add some orange to it, but not sure when the best time to do that would be...

suggestions welcome
Just get a wheat kit and use a hefeweizen yeast. I like Safbrew WB-06. I've never used munich, but I've heard good things. My american wheats and hefes are the same grain bill, and sometimes the same hop. The yeast is the main thing you want to think about for that style.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:32 PM   #38
bluenose
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAdamC View Post
Just get a wheat kit and use a hefeweizen yeast. I like Safbrew WB-06. I've never used munich, but I've heard good things. My american wheats and hefes are the same grain bill, and sometimes the same hop. The yeast is the main thing you want to think about for that style.
perfect, thanks