Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Mr malty's surprising starter prediction
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
seriousbeef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northampton, England
Posts: 105
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Mr malty's surprising starter prediction

Threw in some figures in Mr Malty's yeast starter app.
I'm going to be brewing up a 1.067/ 6gal porter on Wednesday.
As I type this, I have 1.4L of yeast starter in front of me, with the plan to propagate a second step/batch of starter tomorrow.

My plan was to over propagate tomorrow so I have some yeast left over to decant for a future brew.
However, seeing the Mr. Malty calcuations, it seems its predicting I should be pitching a whopping 2.5L starter!

After doing some research, it seems a lot of brewers make starters to 1.040 regardless of the calc. OG of the brew (excluding extreme ABV's).
So, by the time I've done a 2-step by tomorrow, I'm going to have nothing left to save for a future brew. Thoughts? Should I stick with maybe just doing close to 2L of starter?

Cheers guys


__________________
Cheers. This beer is to Wives and Sweethearts - may the two never meet.
seriousbeef is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #2
chickypad
lupulin shift victim
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
chickypad's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: SF Peninsula
Posts: 4,027
Liked 580 Times on 480 Posts
Likes Given: 241

Default

My thought is if you're going to the trouble of making a starter might as well do it right and pitch the correct amount of yeast. You could always wash the yeast when this batch is done if you want to save on buying new.


chickypad is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 06:15 PM   #3
kingwood-kid
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: houston
Posts: 1,514
Liked 103 Times on 93 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default

A 7% ABV beer is not the ideal beer to save yeast from. I mean, you can do it, and it will probably work out fine, but at the very least, you'll be compromising your viability somewhat. You could wait for the beer to get fermenting and top-crop some yeast. What I would do is pitch about 75% of what the calculator advises and save the rest. There's no perfect option here, but there are three decent ones.
__________________
Say no to intolerance: love gluten and lactose.
kingwood-kid is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 02:52 AM   #4
BigFloyd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Tyler, Texas
Posts: 5,172
Liked 724 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousbeef View Post
After doing some research, it seems a lot of brewers make starters to 1.040 regardless of the calc. OG of the brew (excluding extreme ABV's).
So, by the time I've done a 2-step by tomorrow, I'm going to have nothing left to save for a future brew. Thoughts? Should I stick with maybe just doing close to 2L of starter?

Cheers guys
If you like doing bigger (higher grav) beers or lagers and want to use liquid yeast, you may want to consider getting/building a stir plate. It will help you get the billions of cells required while making a much smaller starter.

Starter wort is typically around 1.040 because the purpose of it is to provide food for the yeast to eat and then multiply. That gravity is a balance between providing enough food vs. overpowering the yeast by putting it in too strong of a wort.
__________________
Good Temp Control -----> Happy Yeast ------> Tasty Brew
BigFloyd is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 AM   #5
Cyclman
I Sell Koalas
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
 
Cyclman's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Aurora, CO
Posts: 5,518
Liked 592 Times on 498 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFloyd View Post
If you like doing bigger (higher grav) beers or lagers and want to use liquid yeast, you may want to consider getting/building a stir plate. It will help you get the billions of cells required while making a much smaller starter.

Starter wort is typically around 1.040 because the purpose of it is to provide food for the yeast to eat and then multiply. That gravity is a balance between providing enough food vs. overpowering the yeast by putting it in too strong of a wort.
+1 on BigFloyd's advice, higher gravity starters produce less yeast. A Stir Plate makes a huge difference in the amount of yeast a 2l starter produces.
__________________
Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime! Bill Owen quote

Why does Happy Hour limit happiness to 1/24 of the day?
Cyclman is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
mattd2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,652
Liked 285 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 56

Default

Leading on from Bigfloyd's 1.040 comment - what is the starter gravity assumed in the Mr malty calculator?
mattd2 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:46 AM   #7
Heavywalker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chehalis, WA
Posts: 449
Liked 79 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Default

What is your pitch rate to require a 2.5L two step starter? That seems like a lot for a beer with that SG. If you decant your current starter and step up again with another 1.4L that would seem like it would be more than sufficient . Step up with a 2L and you could salvage enough yeast for the next batch. I might be looking at the calculator wrong but that is what it came up with when I used your numbers.
Heavywalker is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
seriousbeef
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northampton, England
Posts: 105
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickypad View Post
My thought is if you're going to the trouble of making a starter might as well do it right and pitch the correct amount of yeast. You could always wash the yeast when this batch is done if you want to save on buying new.
Why didn't I think of washing?! Cheers.

1st Step looks like its eaten all the sugars it can (pic), we have some krausen. I was gonna fridge it and decant of ready for 2nd step..does it look ready to you guys??
Click image for larger version

Name:	download.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	129158  
__________________
Cheers. This beer is to Wives and Sweethearts - may the two never meet.
seriousbeef is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
freisste
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,450
Liked 311 Times on 261 Posts

Default

I check mine by giving them a swirl, if it seems to kick up a lot of bubbles/CO2, I get the feeling that there is at least some work to do. When I give a swirl and it is more like swirling muddy water (no fizzing, etc.), I know it is done.

Maybe I'm doing it the wrong way or a slow way, but it seems to work for me.

Edit: to answer your question, to me (see description above) it does not look like it is quite done. Again, listen to someone more experienced than me and take my advice with a grain of salt.
freisste is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 11:47 PM   #10
whoaru99
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,685
Liked 135 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seriousbeef View Post
Threw in some figures in Mr Malty's yeast starter app.
I'm going to be brewing up a 1.067/ 6gal porter on Wednesday.
As I type this, I have 1.4L of yeast starter in front of me, with the plan to propagate a second step/batch of starter tomorrow.

My plan was to over propagate tomorrow so I have some yeast left over to decant for a future brew.
However, seeing the Mr. Malty calcuations, it seems its predicting I should be pitching a whopping 2.5L starter!
Using YeastCalc and intermittent shaking I came up with a single step starter of ~3.5L, or two steps at ~1.5L each.

Actually, 2.5L isn't that big if you ever brew a lager; made a two step 1.5L > 7L starter for ~1.065 lager based on the recommeded pitch rate from the Brewer's Friend calculator.

Some multi step starters I've cold crashed, decanted, then warmed and repitched for the second stage. The last one I made using WPL007 didn't need any cold crashing before decant and second stage; that stuff drops like a rock.


__________________
Drinking: Craptastic Cream Ale
Primary: Scottish Wee Heavy
whoaru99 is offline
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mr Malty Vs Beersmith 2.0 Yeast Starter smuth10 Fermentation & Yeast 30 05-12-2012 02:40 PM
Mr Malty wants a 3.5L starter enohcs Fermentation & Yeast 12 06-02-2011 05:14 PM
Lager Yeast Starter/Mr Malty Help buckeyebrewer Fermentation & Yeast 7 01-14-2011 10:57 PM
Old slurry vs. starter vs. Mr Malty Bizoune Fermentation & Yeast 1 11-29-2009 09:59 PM
Mr. Malty starter question? Tilldeath Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 10-26-2009 11:52 AM


Forum Jump

Newest Threads

LATEST SPONSOR DEALS